Saturday, October 3, 2026

Where is the Fall weather?

My mind knows it is Fall but the weather here is not cooperating.  We had temperatures in the high 80's low 90's most of the week again.  We were predicted to have rain Friday, Saturday and Sunday with more fall like temperatures however they were wrong.  We had just a bit of rain Friday and temperatures have been a bit cooler however; they are headed back up after tomorrow.  Everything is so dry here, I just really wish we would get more rain. The days are getting shorter (which I do love) so candles in the evenings are a tradition here.  I found a good one at Marshals that really does smell like its name and has a wood wick which is my favorite.




My garden is done except for tomatoes, peppers and herbs.  I had planted another round of basil in August not knowing if it would produce but with this weather it really has so I guess I can be happy about another batch of pesto for the freezer and more to dehydrate.  I stopped at the farmers market yesterday and picked up more onions, concord grapes and 1/2 bushel of cured sweet potatoes for the winter.  Other than my herbs, everything else is stocked for the winter.  I will let the herbs go another week or two since the weather is so warm.


Last weekend was our local Fall Festival.  TBG had a group of his students do a TKD demonstration and they all did a wonderful job.  The weather was actually nice, and we enjoyed walking around and seeing some people that we hadn't seen for a while and had lunch with a few of them at our favorite Mexican restaurant El Rancherito.  We didn't stay for the parade because it is always SO long.  

Work has been busy.  Next week is week four of orientations for the 5 new doctors.  Usually, I enjoy getting to know the new doctors and spending the two or three days getting them orientated to the facility and our group but four weeks in a row is way past my limit and I honestly can't wait to be finished with it all.

A couple of weeks ago, TBG brought home the chrysanthemums that he always buys from the FFA group.  Monday, I was in the kitchen, and something caught my eye.  I saw something sticking out of one of them and I couldn't figure out what it was.  I went to get a closer look, and I was not happy with what I saw.





Yes, that is a snake.  In the 15 years we've lived in this house, we have never had a snake.  I don't know if it was in the plant or if there was an egg in the soil and it hatched.  It popped it's head up for quite a few minutes looking around and then it proceeded to crawl its way into the yard.  Gotta love nature.

What we've been eating...
Bacon, egg and cheese croissant with a small fruit salad
Beef pot roast with potatoes and green beans.  I shredded the remainder of roast and made beef and cheese roll ups for the freezer.  
Taco egg rolls and rice.  When I made these, I made enough to freeze and cooked the rest of the ground beef for cheeseburger egg rolls.  They were also added to the freezer for lunches and dinners as well.
Chicken, pesto mac and cheese and a salad
Big salad with garlic cheese biscuits
Tonight we're having our last BLT of the season with zucchini fritters.  All good things must come to end for a season.
We still haven't had our first bowl of chili or soup, stew yet.  I'm hoping it cools off a bit more soon.  Hope springs eternal.

I did watch a few good movies over the last couple of weeks. 
The AI Documentary-Or How I Became an Apoctaloptimist on Netflix was really interesting and informative.
Junebug on Hallmark was a really cute movie.
The Fundamentals of Caring on Netflix.  Another cute feel-good movie.
The second season of Best Medicine has started so I've watched the first two episodes and have enjoyed them.  I think the small town in Maine and the residents of it are what I enjoy the most.  Plus, Anne Potts.  I've always liked her.
The new season of The British Bake Off also started and we've watched the first two episodes.  It's too soon to have a favorite.

The local Persimmon season is upon us here and everyone is seeing spoons.  Only time will tell what our winter will be like.





         I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the Fall or Spring where you are.  




No comments:

Post a Comment