Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

My love affair with food.

My Grandmother Jean was an amazing woman.  Aside from all of her other attributes, she was a true home maker.  Her cooking, canning, preserving, growing everything, sewing and knitting skills could rival Martha Stewart and even Rhonda over at down-to-earth.blogspot.com.  As I grew older I was just truly amazed at how much she could not only do, but do so well.

I wish all of those Sunday's, holidays and summers that I stood by her side either in the garden, the kitchen or her sewing room that I would have watched her a little more closely and listened a little harder to the priceless lessons she was trying to instill in me.  I wish I would have taken notes so that I could have a record of the knowledge that she possessed.

I moved away from home at 18.  Not just away, but 1200 miles away.  It didn't take long for me to miss Sunday dinner at Grams and to truly appreciate what an amazing cook she was.  I missed her home cooking.  I missed the roasted chickens and turkeys, the creamy mashed potatoes, the home made dinner rolls, the preserved strawberries in January and so much more.  It was then that it started (I believe the first lesson was deviled eggs). I would call her and tell her I wanted to make this particular dish and she would tell me what I needed and walk me through it over the phone.

Gram taught me the basics and I ran with it, trying everything.  I firmly believe she was and still is with me in spirit each time I try a new recipe or cook an old favorite.

The best thing she taught me was not to be afraid to just try.  Just keep practicing.  If it doesn't work out you'll figure out what went wrong and it will be better next time, she would tell me.

So, I guess my love of cooking actually stems from my love of eating my Grandmothers good food.

Thank you Gram!!



Summer goodness.



No comments:

Post a Comment