Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2019

The End of Another Summer

I know Labor Day is the unofficial end of summer but where I am in the Midwest summer is hanging on a little bit longer with the temperature in the 90's all week.  But, all good things must come to an end and I know the end of another summer is near.


I love each season equally and love living my life in sync with the seasons. So I am preparing myself to say good bye to my summer favorites for another year. 


BLT's...I mean is there really anyone that doesn't enjoy a delicious home grown tomato on a bed of fresh lettuce, thick cut local bacon and a smear of mayo between two delicious pieces of perfectly toasted bread?  I'm sure there may be some but they are not my people.


Tomato, basil pizza...My first slice of this amazing pizza was years ago when I lived in Ft. Myers Florida.  Antonio's Pizza. (now closed)  Wood fired amazing dough with thinly sliced tomatoes, fresh basil leaves and mozzarella cheese.  This is culinary perfection.  Ever since that first slice I have been known to take whatever type of bread I had on hand and top with these three heavenly ingredients.


Corn on the cob...It gets harder each year to find non GMO corn but it is possible and when I do I stock up.  I love it boiled up with just a bit of butter and salt...YUM!


Fried Green Tomatoes...Another summer favorite.  This year one of my favorite places that is farm to table had a special appetizer of fried green tomatoes with a corn salsa. Fireflygrill.com. OMG they were the best I have ever had and I have had a lot just this summer alone.


Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers...There are dozens of ways to make these but I love big fresh peppers straight from the garden, stuffed with a mixture of  garlic, herbs, and different cheeses with a touch of panko on top and cooked on the grill.  The fresh grilled peppers and hot cheese mixture are a winning combination.


These are just a few of my summer only favorites.  They just do not taste as good if they are not in season and local.


I will miss you all along with the farmers market and going in the back yard and picking veggies or fresh herbs to cook. Good bye summer bounty...until we meet again next year.









































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment