Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2019

Stuffed Shells

It was a super crazy, stressful week at work.  On top of that we broke all kinds of record low temperatures and had a snow storm that dropped a few inches of snow.
I decided I needed comfort food.  Stuffed shells are my winter weather go to when my weary soul needs soothing.  Along with a salad and some warm delicous bread, this dinner will warm you up.

For the meat sauce...
In a sauce pan heat olive oil (1-2 tablespoons)
Add 1 diced onion and saute for about 3 minutes
Add 2-3 garlic cloves diced 
Add1 pound ground beef
When the ground beef is fully cooked add 3 cups of your favorite sauce.  I've used my own homemade and I've used my favorite jarred sauce. Both were great.
Season with basil, pepper, salt, oregano to taste
Let simmer on low for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Shell filling...
2 cups of ricotta cheese
1 cup of mozarrella cheese
2-3 garlice cloves pressed
1 egg
Season with basil, pepper, salt, oregano to taste
Combine ingredients and chill for about 30 minutes.


Pre heat oven to 350. Cook shells just until aldente and let cool.
Cover the bottom of the pan ( I used 13x9 glass pan) with some of the meat sauce.
Fill cooled shells with shell filling and add to the pan.
Spoon remaining meat sauce on top of the filled shells.
Top with mozzarrella cheese.
Sprinkle with a little oregano and pepper.
Bake for around 30 minutes covered and then another 10 uncovered or until the cheese is bubbly.

These freeze and reheat wonderfully!


2 comments:

  1. I am crackers for pasta dishes and I have not made stuffed shells in years. This sounds marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make them a couple times a year. They are a real hit with guests.

    ReplyDelete