Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Moonstruck

You take sliced bread of any kind, cut out a hole in the center, drop in an egg and fry in a buttered skillet.  Top with powdered sugar and maple syrup.  Or just eat it as is with a little salt and pepper.

I have been making this for my husband for at least 30 years.  I vaguely remember my Grandmother making it but I do not remember what she referred to it as.  I have always called it moonstruck or egg in a hole.

According to Google, there are dozens of names.  Everything from one eyed Jack to one eyed Pete to Popeye.  The recipe first appeared in Boston Cooking School Cookbook in 1890 under the name Egg in a Hole and has made it into each revision.  In 1941 the dish was called gashouse eggs in the movie Moon Over Miami.  In the 1987 film Moonstruck, it was called egg in a trashcan.

Have you ever made this?  If so, what do you call it?





2 comments:

  1. I have tried making this several time to no avail. It always come out as a dry piece of toast with a cooked egg in it. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you put about 1 tablespoon of butter in a non stick pan or griddle? It shouldn't come out dry.

    ReplyDelete