Pages

Friday, October 2, 2020

October is Here

 It's October!  I do enjoy spring and summer but October - February has always been my favorite time of the year.  I think it's because of all the holidays, evenings by the firepit, snuggling up with a book and being able to bake without feeling bad about heating up the house while the A/C is on.

I started making my own corn taco shells or tortillas awhile ago because we enjoy them so much.  I bought a couple sets of the taco holders and I LOVE them.  Well today I found another use for them.  We only have hot dogs once or twice a year and today was the day.  I bought a package of Nathan's Best all beef dogs and they were so good.  The holders make it so much easier to get all of your toppings on without struggling.  Love a gadget that has more than a couple uses.

The tomatoes and peppers are still growing but it won't be long before frost ends this years growing season. I stopped by the farmers market this morning and picked up some more. He said we'll be lucky if we get two or three more weeks without a frost.   My basil grew so well this year so I have enough pesto in my freezer to get us through to next year.  Between pickling, canning and freezing I'm stocked on enough summer goodness to get us through the winter so that is something to be thankful for.  I've eaten my weight in BLT's, Jalapeno Poppers of all kinds and fried green tomatoes.  The Poblano peppers have been amazing too.  I love charring them on the grill, remove the skin and stuffing them.   

 I honestly didn't enjoy this summer as much as I usually do.  I guess with everything going on in the US politically, racially, then Covid still looming over us and whatever heathen little creature ate a lot of my garden didn't help matters. I'm hoping the next 5 months bring some much needed happiness.







4 comments:

  1. I have a long list of October cooking projects. It is a great month for such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to hear what you cook. October is a wonderful month.

      Delete
    2. I am going to try my first 'rye bread'. My late mother used to make Halloween gingerbread cookies; I think I will do some in memory of this.
      Halloween dinner is a banquet at our place - lots to consider!

      Delete
    3. I can't wait to hear how it all turns out. On Halloween I always do a big pot of chili and a number of appetizers. I'm so excited it is on a Saturday AND it is a Blue Moon.

      Delete