Pages

Friday, October 23, 2020

My new go to Bread recipe

With the temperatures falling I am back to baking bread.  So far, I've made this bread three times and it has been delicious all three times.  The crust is amazing and the crumb is moist with a tang hitting you in the back of your mouth.  It is good room temp, for sandwiches and reheated with butter and garlic.  It's never lasted more than three days, but it was still very good on day three.

3 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 1/2 Cup warm water (around 105degrees)
1 package of yeast

Combine the yeast and water and give it about 5 minutes to bloom.

Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix until all flour is incorporated.  The dough will appear to have a rough texture.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a damp kitchen towel and let sit room temperature for 18-24 hours.

When the dough is ready use floured hands to gently press down the dough.  Lightly dust the top of the dough and gently work it into a large ball.  You do not need perfection here and remember to treat your dough gently.

Bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.

For the right crust and chew this dough does need to be baked in a Dutch Oven or similar oven safe pot with a lid.  Everything I have read says that preheating the pot along with the oven and then adding the dough creates the perfect steam yielding an amazing loaf of bread.  I do not do this ecause I have read it is very hard on your Dutch Oven if it is enameled. I preheat the oven, lightly oil the pan and then transfer the bread to the pot, cover and put the pot in as the oven preheats.  I start the timer once the oven is preheated.  

After baking remove loaf to cool on a wire rack.  






I have an enameled Crock Pot Dutch Oven and I love it.  This is the 5 quart.  The large spaced out handles make it super easy to move around even when it is hot.  

2 comments:

  1. I am just beginning to learn there are different ways of making bread.
    Curious to learn which way is best for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different ways, so many different doughs. It is so much fun to learn.

      Delete