Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2021

My Week

I don't know whether it is everything going on in the US, well frankly most of the world, effects from the last 19 months of COVID chaos or just a case of the blahs, but my week was a little blue.  Usually I'm a very positive, glass is half full person but this week I was down right irritable. I'm determined not to let this coming week be the same.  Even if I have to fake it to make it so.

We've been in our house for 9 years and I don't know who planted these but I always look forward to them the first week of August.  Every year they appear out of nowhere, almost overnight and they only last about a week.  My family calls them paper lilies, but I've heard them called many things.  They are popular in this area.


Between the garden and the farmers market we have been enjoying all that summer in the Midwest offers.  The farmer I buy from had his corn $4.00 a dozen.  I bought two dozen and blanched and froze the majority for later in the fall.  It is so tender and sweet.  I may get another dozen this week.


Our peppers are huge this year.  And the Jalapenos are HOT!  


This weeks dinners:
Grilled ribs, potato salad, deviled eggs and cheese stuffed jalapenos.



BLT's and chips


Meatball subs. I used the hamburger bun recipe that I've posted before and made 4 buns and 1 footlong sub roll.  The fresh homemade roll made these subs even better.


Egg and cheese on an English muffin.


Lamb burgers



BIG salad



Today I'm going to clean up the garden a bit.  Tuesday and Wednesday are good planting days so I am going to start some more lettuce and basil and see what else I have room for.  The weather last week was so nice.  A couple of mornings were in the 50's so I was able to air out the house.  This week though we are going to be in the high 90's with heat index up to 106.  Compared to many other states, we've actually had a pretty nice summer.  The heat waves never lasted too long without a cool front giving us a break in the heat.  My heart goes out to all those with the high temps and the smoky air from all the fires.  

Well I'm off to start my day.  I'm making pancakes and bacon for breakfast to start my day right.

Stay Safe!!



12 comments:

  1. I just had breakfast and those food pics are making me hungry again. I hope this week is better than the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is cooler and we will eat on the deck but the heat comes back tomorrow with a vengeance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 90 here right now but there is a bit of a breeze. The middle of the week is supposed to be brutal here. Stay cool!

      Delete
  3. such lovely summer eats! Good for you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. -sigh- This Nation and this World are so, so, so crazy, illogical, Freedom-erasing, disseminating of outright lies, and.... And... And....

    That it is a wonder that any of us, are able to keep our heads together, and keep putting one foot in front of the other!

    It takes much self determination, to do so.

    The people I have read, who (to me) are doing the best job of it, are those who are into the Preparation of "Deep Pantries". That which all of us were into, in the early months of this China Covid Pandemic.

    But! How many are still doing it?????? Deep Pantries????

    These people are, and so, they spend their time, focused on what THEY CAN DO! This seems the best antidote to the pervading Weirdness....

    Just sayin'....

    πŸŒΌπŸ‘πŸ’›πŸ‘πŸŒΌ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always kept a pretty well stocked pantry. That is just how I was raised. It is like insurance and convenience and it saves money when done correctly. If you I don't feel well, I have everything I need. Weather related emergencies...covered. Etc. So much can go wrong.

      Delete
  5. Happy weekend my friend. Blessings

    ReplyDelete