Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2021

My Week

 Next weekend is the unofficial end of summer here in the US.  I enjoy Summer and always have.  I wouldn't have survived 20 years in SW Florida if I didn't.  I love all the fresh herbs, veggies and flowers.  I've been watching so many hummingbirds zipping around the feeder and flowers.  I've spent a lot of time sitting outside reading which has been a tradition since I was a kid.  However, since moving back to the Midwest, I always look forward to Fall.  The triple digit heat is still here so it will be awhile before it feels like Fall.

I have been busy putting up veggies and drying herbs and probably will be for the next three weeks or so. The garden has done amazingly well this year.  You know it is late summer when my prep table looks like this.


The doctors I work for always spoil me throughout the year.  One came back from Poland with this amazing box of candy for me.  They are SO good. Apparently this brand is their 'national' chocolate company and a local favorite.  I can see why. Plus they came in a beautiful tin that I can keep and use for something when it is empty.  There are two layers of these beauties. The card said "You need something sweet for all the sh*t you put up with." Gotta love her.


I finished reading Coming to My Senses by Alice Waters this week.  I really enjoyed it.  Going against my no more cookbooks rule I ordered The Making of a Cook by Madeleine Kamman.  It should be here this week.  This will be my long winter read.  It is a monstrous book. I actually picked it up from the library and when I started to read it I knew I wanted it for my collection.

Meals this week were all veggie focused and fairly light.  BIG salad times 2, BLT, Veggie Pizza, Pesto pasta with grilled chicken. Tonight I am making egg rolls and rice. I will miss my BLT's but I'm kind of looking forward to fall and winter dishes and soups.  

I am a list maker.  The beginning of each month I make a list of activities I'd like to do that month. Since Covid these lists have been very short.  Yesterday I made my short list for September which includes: 1. Ice cream at Yellin Helens. It will be closing for the season soon. 2. Trip to Harlows Pumpkin Patch. 3. Apple Orchard. 4. Brunch outside at Firefly. 5. Cedarhurst Craft Festival. 6. Local Fall Festival.  I'm thinking the first 4 are doable even with Covid.  The last two I still need to think about.  They are outdoor activities but both are very crowded.

Things that have been weighing on my mind this week were the situation in Afghanistan, Covid and Louisiana. Also my Father. Yesterday would have been his birthday.  He died 29 years ago from crohns disease at the age of 44. It still breaks my heart and now with my Mothers situation, I need him more than ever.

I'm off to start my Sunday.  I need to do a few things to get ready for the work week.  I hope everyone stays safe and has a wonderful week.

Are you looking forward to Fall?




9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your father passing away. It doesn't matter how long ago it happens. Losing a parents always hurts.

    And a big YAY! for those fresh veggies from the garden and the Polish sweets. I love that tin as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes no matter how many years pass, things still come up that I really wish he was here. I love having cute tins to store items in. This one is a keeper. I hope you have a great Sunday!

      Delete
  2. Loverly garden goodies, those.

    I have been looking forward to fall since July.
    I am already planing the food, decorations, and making new masks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m sorry about your father, Lori. That’s so very young.

    Your garden is inspirational (I really wish this word hadn’t been ruined by overuse, I mean it when I say it!) You have a nice variety of summer veggies there to finish out with. We have been eating homemade pizza with veggies, but I too will be glad for it to cool down.

    Grandbaby has her first viral illness, looks like roseola, so I’m nursing this week. I’m so glad we made the move here to help the kids.

    Stay cool and eat lively chocolates 🎉

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much. I'm sorry to hear your grandbaby has a viral illness. There is so much of it going on right now. Enjoy snuggling with her. Glad you are close to your family. That is important.
    It's cooled off here a little. Highs are in the 80's for the foreseeable future instead of 90's so that is a blessing.
    Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m very much looking forward to fall.

    ReplyDelete