Pages

Sunday, June 18, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind:  The big guy's cataract surgery went well.  This week he has the second one and we're hoping it goes just as well.  I'm a bit surprised that they don't let much of the anesthesia wear off before sending you home.  The big guy is 6 feet, 230 pounds and I'm 5'4, 130 pounds and it was a challenge keeping him from hurting himself.  He was SO loopy.  Luckily, he slept off and on for 4 or 5 hours and he could finally walk by himself.  At least now we both know what to expect which always makes things easier.

Where I've been:  I've made a few trips to the Farmers Market and stocked up on Spring produce. I was able to pick up more strawberries.  B said the season was really long this year.  I'm guessing it's because we've been cooler than normal. I stopped by the library to pick up a couple of books that I requested.  I've also spent a lot of time in the backyard with the garden.  We are up to our ears in arugula and have been eating it all week.  I think I am going to make a pesto out of some today to put in the freezer. The Japanese Wasabi radishes are ready to pick.  I'm excited to see what they taste like.  Everything else is growing well. 

Where I'm going:  Wednesday we'll be going to the eye surgery center and if the big guy is feeling OK on Saturday we're going to a BBQ. Other than that I'll be at work as usual.

What I'm watching:  I watched the latest season of Never Have I Ever and really enjoyed it.  I also watched XO Kitty which is a Spin off series of To All The Boys I Loved Before.  Both were funny, feel good series.

What I'm reading:  I finished Spoon Fed-How eight cooks saved my life and Food Americana.  I really enjoyed both books. Today I am starting In Order to Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom.  According to the cover, "One of the most harrowing stories I have ever heard and one of the most inspiring.  She has a new book coming out this Fall and I want to read this first book before it does.

What I've been eating: 
BIG salad X2
Wings for the big guy, steak for me with baked potatoes and asparagus
Dinner out with a couple of friends.  I made grits and egg for the big guy.
Pizza with left over steak sliced thin, portabella mushrooms, poblano and red onion.  It was delicious.
Air fried chicken breast with a salad and asparagus.
Last night I made a Mexican Beef and served with rice and flour tortias.  I'm so glad I wrote down what I did because it turned out amazing.  I promise to share this week.
I made a batch of Jordan Marsh blueberry muffins and 10 pints of strawberry jam.  And today we are having our first BLT of the season for brunch and I can't wait.  You can see the muffin recipe I use here. Culinary Adventures with Lori: Search results for jordan marsh blueberry muffins


The local berries this year have been amazing.



I hope everyone is enjoying Spring and staying safe and healthy.  Have a fabulous Sunday!!

26 comments:

  1. Glad the surgery went well. It is amazing the difference it makes. I had just an IV shot to put me out when I had mine done. I heard everything that was going on. Got driven home about an hour later.
    Yor meals sound good. The weather has sure been lovely.
    Wishing you another great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl. I'm not sure what they gave him but he had no idea what was going on. It took about 5 hours before he could walk by himself. Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the surgery went well, and hopefully the next one does too. What happened afterward reminded me of my dental misadventure when I was a teenager. I had my wisdom teeth pulled, and after it was done they wanted me to walk to a room to lie down. I made it one step on my own before I fell against the wall.

    Hopefully this week goes well for all three of you, too. Yes, I mean The Big Guy and Binx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend. Luckily you weren't hurt. He was shuffling his feet and very unsteady. He was pretty funny too and thought everything was hilarious. lol I hope you and your fur baby have a good week too!!

      Delete
  3. We are most definitely twins separated at birth :) I'm the same height as you and weigh 3 lbs less, so I understand the struggle in helping the big guy. My usual weight is actually an extra 20 lbs less, but I've hovered in the upper 120s the past few years. I'm very happy to hear that the big guy is doing well & praying that round 2 will go well too.

    I'm drooling over those muffins! They look absolutely delicious! I'm looking forward to your recipe, as mexican is one my favorite cuisines. Thank you for mentioning BLTs. I haven't had any in a while since DS isn't crazy about bacon. Hope you & the big guy have a wonderful week and a hug to Binx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wild. I think we may have been separated at birth. I was always 120 until about 5 years ago. I need to drop those 10 pounds but it isn't easy now. The muffins are SO good. It's a very nice recipe. The BLT's yesterday were heavenly. Wishing you a fabulous week my friend.

      Delete
  4. When did I last have strawberries? They used to be June-incarnate. I tear up as I write this; I must get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in Southern Illinois the time frame is mid May to first part of June for fresh strawberries. This season was a bit longer because of the coolish weather.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear the surgery went well. I hope the next one is even easier. You would think they would want the anesthesia to wear off before releasing him though.
    Those strawberries look delicious and so do the muffins. I think my stomach is growling now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The woman that brought him out was struggling with him as well. He could only shuffle his feet to walk and was babbling like a mad man.

      Delete
  6. Fingers crossed that the Big Guy's second surgery goes as well as the first!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending good vibes that the second surgery goes well for the Big Guy! I'm sure it will be nice to check that off the list and move on! Your berries and muffins looks delicious. I've been wanting to go to my town farmers market for weeks. Hopefully I'll get there soon before strawberry season is over! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle. It will be good to get this finished and him healed up so we can move on. The strawberries have been delicious this year. One nice thing living further south is we get them sooner than places north of us. I hope you make it to the market soon. Have a great week!

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad the first cataract surgery went well. TG had both eyes done in 2019 and as he is a full foot taller than me and quite a bit heavier (one would hope, haaha), I was happy to discover that he had no trouble walking to the car or into the house to his chair. He made me put all the drops in both times, haaaha! That was quite a schedule. Your fresh produce sounds so good, and don't strawberries just make you happy? Have a good week, Lori! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny. I think they may have over sedated him a bit because it took forever for it to ware off. He had no balance and I was a bit worried he would fall. We made it through though and now I'm prepared for this one. Strawberries are one of my favorites. Wishing you good week as well.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad the big guys surgery went good and hope for the next one to go just as well, too! I'm glad the strawberry season is longer because they are really good this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanette. The strawberries have been extra delicious this year.

      Delete
  10. I've read that Korean memoir. So awful.. hard to believe that this sort of thing happens in the 21st century. We are so lucky in western countries. That's great about the surgery. Not looking forward to it I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost half way through and it is shocking that this is so recent. I also bought her next book While Time Remains. It is about her observations over the last 8 years here and how she sees similarities in things going on in the US with things that went on in NK.
      I'm sure you're not looking forward to it, but so far, he is very happy he had it done.

      Delete
  11. Hope the second surgery goes well, and that the Big guy won't be so unsteady for so long. Sounds like they might have given him too much medicine.
    Your strawberries and muffins look so good. Looking forward to your mexican roast recipe as it sounds delicioius.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! The second surgery seems to have gone well also and it seems they backed off of the dosage of drugs a bit. He was not as loopy this time. I will get the recipe posted today or tomorrow. It really was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The strawberries do look large and wonderful. I believe our season is over. Good luck with the recovery from the 2nd surgery for your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local strawberries were so sweet and juicy this year. Our season usually ends the first week of June. It went a little over a week longer because of the cool temperatures we had. I have about 3 quarts in the freezer to play with sometime soon. I'm thinking more Jam.

      Delete
  14. Glad to hear both surgeries are behind him now. Yes, it makes me nervous that they send people home so fast after having anesthesia. My grandkids picked strawberries again this past weekend.I was surprised! The season is always over by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bijoux. We're glad it's over. Our strawberry season was longer this year too. I think because we had some pretty cool days. Whatever reason, I appreciate the extra berries.

      Delete