Pages

Sunday, June 25, 2023

My Week and a Mexican Beef recipe

Happy Sunday!  This was an odd week for me.  It neither flew by nor drug on but as I was thinking back over it, it seemed a blur.

The big guy's second surgery seems to have gone well.  He has his follow up tomorrow afternoon and then all that's left is to finish all of the eye drops.  I'm so thankful it went well and he is amazed at how much better he can see now.

The weather was pretty mild all week even as the Summer Solstice arrived.  I know many love summer but this fall and winter loving woman is thrilled that the days are now slowly getting shorter.  Yesterday was warm but the humidity was low.  Today it is brutal outside with temps feeling like 105 with high humidity. We're supposed to have storms later and hopefully they will not be too bad but bring us some much-needed rain. 

I finished reading While Time Remains by Yeonmi Park and I can't recommend it enough.  It is a very thought-provoking book.  The insight she has from her personal experience with North Korea, China, South Korea and the US is gripping to say the least.

What we ate this week:

I used the left over Mexican beef to make beef and cheese taquitos.
Arugula pesto and garlic pasta with a salad
Fried chicken breast, smashed garlic potatoes and salad
BIG salad
Joes Wings and a Joe Boli-delivered with a salad
Tonight, I'm making sloppy joes and zucchini fries

In our last beef box we received two one-pound packages of beef stew meat.  The first one I used about a month and a half ago to make a hearty chili.  It's a bit too hot now for chili or even beef stew so I decided to try something different.  It also gave me a reason to pull my Crock pot out that I haven't used in forever.

1 pound beef stew meat
1 onion peeled and sliced in four
5 or 6 large heads of garlic, peeled
2 poblano peppers, seeded and sliced into 1/2 inch strip
2 Cups of Beef Bone broth
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika.
1 Tablespoon smoked cayenne
1 Tablespoon cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. cracked black peppercorns.

Sautee the beef, onion and peppers in a cast iron skillet for about 10 minutes.

Put beef mixture and all the remaining ingredients in the Crock pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours.

The first night we had the beef with spicy rice and warm tortillas with a lime, avocado, sour cream sauce.  The next meal I used the beef to make beef and cheese taquitos and I used the left-over broth to make the rice in.  This time I served with some of my home-made taco sauce.  Culinary Adventures with Lori: Random Thoughts and Taco Sauce
We enjoyed both meals a lot and I'm already thinking what else I could use this for.  I'm definitely thinking nachos, quesadillas or beef hand pies would be amazing.

Other than work and stopping at the farmers market, we do not have anything planned. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday and a great week ahead.









26 comments:

  1. now this is what I should have made for crockpot Sunday. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that book recommendation. At the moment I'm ploughing through several bags of "real" books but am always on the look out for recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Both of her books were very good and really gives you a lot to think about.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear all went well with the eye surgeries.
    The beef in the crockpot sounds good but it sounds like it was spicy and I don't do spicy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We eat a lot of spicy food and this was actually a bit toned down. Not hot at all but yes, spicy.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad the second surgery went well. You also made me miss my Crock Pot with this post. I knew that beef was going to be spicy as soon as you mentioned poblano peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We're both glad it's all over with. It was spicy but not what I would call hot. Very tasty. I haven't used my Crock pot in a long time. Have a good week!!

      Delete
  5. So glad the surgery went well, and I'm glad that he is seeing better.
    The Mexican beef sounds so good! Thanks for the recipe. I might have to cut back on the cayenne though although my husband and son would love it.
    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. He's still pretty amazed at how much better he can see. He says everything is so bright. lol We really enjoyed the beef and I can think of so many more ways to use it.

      Delete
  6. I make a similar recipe in the my crockpot. We serve the beef over rice and add toppings, like shredded cheddar, chopped tomatoes, and sour cream. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so yummy. I can think of so many ways to use this beef I will be making it again soon.

      Delete
  7. I'm happy to hear the big guy's surgery went well. Hope he gets more good news at his follow up today. I'm with you about Fall & Winter. What's not to love about a good fireplace, comfort food, hot toddy, good book and snuggles/cuddles (my favorite...lol). I use the exact same spice mix for my fajita chicken, so I know that beef is gonna be good! I definitely have to try it. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Wishing you, the big guy & Binx a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Everything looks good. He has 20/20 vision now. I like summer but Fall and Winter are it for me too! Hope you're on the mend and that you have a great week!

      Delete
  8. So happy the surgeries are over and all went well. Much to be said about seeing things clear and bright!
    Your beef crockpot sounds heavenly. I may try a take on that soon.
    I hope you had no sever weather Sunday. It sure got messy for a while.
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Cheryl. The beef could be used SO many ways which is one of the things I love most. It was also very tasty. We had a lot of wind but didn't get a drop of rain. I saw Indiana got hit. I'm glad you had no damage. Wishing you a great week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you made delicious use of the stew beef! I'll have to check out that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you read her experiences in NK, China and now the US it really makes you think. It solidified some of the things I've been thinking about the current state of our society.

      Delete
  11. I'm sure it is a relief to have the 2 surgeries behind you and glad the big guy is doing well. I was a big fan of the crock pot until I got my Instant Pot which I use for everything, You made me want to reconsider the old favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judee, it is a relief. I can't tell you the last time I used my Crock pot so it was nice to pull it out and put it to use. I haven't bought an Instant Pot since I just don't think I'd use it enough..

      Delete
  12. I seem to have missed this a few days ago, but I realize that I had weekend guests and didn't do much on Sunday Salon. Great to hear that your husband's surgery went well. Cataracts are one thing that modern medicine seems to get right almost all the time, so it's good to hear he's done with it and that it worked.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mae. Yes we are both very happy that it went well and he is back to 20/20 vision. Not bad for an old guy. lol

      Delete
  13. i love your menu regime
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter Audrey tells me often about Yeonmi Park, having followed her story. It is a fascinating one! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read both of her books and really enjoyed them. They really gave me a lot to think about.

      Delete