Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2020

Saturday

It is a dreary, cold November day here in my corner of the Midwest.  We left home this morning at 7am to top off supplies for Thanksgiving.  We entered a new phase of shutdowns yesterday so the big guy has closed his Tae Kwon Do school again for at least two weeks.  I'm rather happy about that because even though he was doing wellness questions, taking temperatures, wearing masks and shields and maintaining distance, this virus is out of control here.

I grew up with Grandparents that were very self reliant.  They grew or raised most of their food and stocked up for emergencies, bad weather or whatever else may happen.  I carried on this tradition because there is nothing worse than not feeling well and having to run to the store.  Living in hurricane territory for 20 years was another reason.  I do not hoard, I simply make sure to have an ample supply of items we routinely use.  I like the insurance of knowing I have what I need at home to get through a few months if needed.  Thankfully, I didn't need much today but fresh veggies, fruits dairy and meats because the stores are once again getting pretty empty in our area.  I did stock up on cat food because it would be ugly around here if we ran out of food for Jet.  He is a bit of a bully when he is hungry.  

So it will be the big guy and I for Thanksgiving.  I bought a 12 pound turkey a few weeks ago and will take it out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator for the next 3 or 4 days to thaw.  I'm really looking forward to Brunswick stew with the left overs.  I am going to follow the menu and prep list I did last year since it worked SO well and I had little to no Thanksgiving day stress. 

Since we were planning on leaving so early this morning, last night I made a coffee cake.  I found the recipe in an old Amish cookbook I have called The Wooden Spoon cookbook by Miriam Miller.  It comes together quickly and it is delicious.

 Sour Cream Coffee Cake

1/2 Cup Walnuts or Pecans-finely chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 Cup Brown sugar (recipe called for regular sugar)
1 stick softened unsalted butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 Cups flour
8 oz sour cream
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

In a small bowl, combine nuts, cinnamon and brown sugar. (I also included raisins)
Grease 9 inch pan. and preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.  Combine dry ingredients and combine wet ingredients.  Pour wet ingredients into butter and sugar and mix until well combined.  About 2 minutes.  Slowly incorporate dry ingredients until well combines.  This is a thick wet batter.  Spread half of the batter in pan and sprinkle half of the nut mixture on top.  Spread evenly with remaining batter.  Top with rest of nut mixture.  Bake for 55 minutes.

You can make a quick powdered sugar icing to drizzle on.  I did not do that this time.

Hope everyone is safe and healthy.  Anyone planning their Thanksgiving meal?


2 comments:

  1. Heavens when I saw the cat I thought this was going to be a recipe out of Mrs. Moony's pie shop.
    I finally got Someone to pinpoint down a modest dinner for two, which includes some brussel sprouts Kung Pao style

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha..."lately all her neighbors cats have disappeared". Kung Pao style brussel sprouts sound very tasty. Can't wait to hear how your meal turns out.

    ReplyDelete