Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2020

The end of November and the leftovers

One turkey yielded us a nice dinner on Thursday, two turkey sandwiches each, a remake of the leftovers, one jar of broth to use later and a large pot of soup that will end up giving us three dinners.  Not bad for a 12 pound turkey.

For the remake I took some of the cornbread stuffing and made waffles.  I added some of the cheese ball to the left over mashed potatoes and heated in the oven and warmed some turkey.  The sauce was a maple syrup with Sirracha sauce for the big guy and turkey gravy for me.  This was Friday's dinner and it was SO good. The big guy was especially happy with it.


The spicy turkey soup I made is one I do with chicken as well.  The flavors and spices are just amazing.  I started the turkey stock in the crock pot on Friday evening and used it Saturday to make the soup,  In a large pot I cook the diced onion until tender, add green chilis and diced garlic.  Then I add the stock and simmer for a bit.  The spices I use are cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.  Once I add them I let simmer for awhile.  Then add the turkey and great northern beans.  I made cream cheese, cheddar cheese and cilantro roll ups to go with it. We each had a big bowl for dinner and there are four more bowls in the freezer for a couple of dinners in the next week or twol.  This soup, whether made with chicken or turkey is one of my absolute favorites.  Sorry Brunswick stew, but I just wasn't in the mood.



My four day weekend is coming to a close and I am fully aware that returning to work tomorrow is going to be brutal.

I have gotten the decorations down and some out.  The tree is going up today but may not get decorated until tomorrow evening or later.  I did get out my countdown to Christmas and put on the fridge.  This is how I start my day every December morning.  


Are you looking forward to December and the Holiday season?


Stay safe!


8 comments:

  1. The leftovers from Thanksgiving are always the best! Hope the work week isn't too brutal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are the best. Monday wasn't as bad as I had thought so maybe there is hope for the rest of the week. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I just finished dinner and now I want rollups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made a pan of turkey enchiladas with a container left (frozen) from last week. Still have another container for later and a bag for soup. Love cooking from scratch. Happy to get to know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading your blog for awhile just haven't commented much. Turkey enchiladas sound delicious. Yes, cooking from scratch is the best.

      Delete
  4. I am pleased as punch to say we did not waste any of the turkey - and there was plenty of leftovers! I made a casserole and some soup. I made a container for turkey stock. I was glad of my industry.

    ReplyDelete