Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2021

My Week

 Well I had plans on posting a couple of times this week but something always came up.  I have been spending time outside after work tending the herbs and veggies.  I love being able to walk outside and snip whatever is coming up and incorporating it into our meals. The arugula, radishes and leaf lettuce is doing great and we've enjoyed all of them throughout the week. Tomorrow I plan to make arugula pesto for the freezer before it bolts.


                                                    Thai and Aleppo peppers are doing well.


                                                                        Thai basil 

                                                                    Genovese basil


                                                                       Greek oregano

Our meals this week were pretty boring as I waited until Thursday for my dentist appointment.  I thought I had lost a filling so I was very leery of eating something and breaking the tooth.  Come to find out I did  not loose a filling but the enamel of a crown came off after 16 years.  The good dentist had already made notes in my chart that when this one went there is nothing that can be done but pull it.  Long story short, the metal part of the crown is still very much intact so everything is protected.  If and when it starts to bother me it will have to be pulled.  I'm still being careful but feel more comfortable eating now.

This week I have been reading Apron Anxiety by Alyssa Shelasky and am enjoying it.  I've written down a couple of cookbooks and memoirs that she has mentioned   It's a memoir about "My messy affairs in and out of the kitchen.  I'm actually really enjoying it.  On the menu for tonight is a recipe she included Lamb Meatballs garnished with pomegranate seeds.  It sounds amazing. The recipe was inspired by a home cook who submitted a recipe to Food52.com under the screen name "My Man's Belly"  I will share the recipe this week and let you know how they are.  

 Jet just jumped up on my lap and is half on the laptop so I guess that is my clue to wrap this up.  I hope everyone is enjoying this Summer Solstice.  Stay Safe!


9 comments:

  1. I could smell the Thai Basil as I scrolled through - heavenly! That book sounds like one I'd like, I'll be on the lookout for it. You do a great job with blogging and keeping up with blogs Lori. It's hard to find the time when you are still working full time. Sorry about the tooth, but at least it's all good for now. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha! Yes basil is one of my favorite herbs. I'm glad to have an honest dentist who said it would be a waste of time to spend 1000.00 for another crown that would maybe only last 3 years if that. Enjoy your week!!

      Delete
  2. My basil has withered away in the ardent heat of AZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it has. I remember the basil had to be harvested by the first of June in SW Florida because of the sun/heat.

      Delete
  3. I love basil and fresh mozzarella with tomatoes from the garden. One of my favorite salads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those three ingredients are like heaven on earth to me as well.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about the tooth. I would love to grow herbs someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's ok but will have to be pulled at some point. Herbs are so easy to grow, you should try a few.

      Delete