Pages

Friday, July 9, 2021

Summer Time

I have been really enjoying this summer so far.  I've been spending quite a few hours outside every chance I get.  Between working in the garden and enjoying my lifelong passion of sitting out in the sun reading, I have been a happy woman. I've already read more books so far this year than I did in all of 2020. I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more cookbooks for awhile since I have such a large collection but I saw this and had to order it. https://food52.com/blog/26378-a-new-cookbook-with-old-recipes-thanks-to-70-grandmas  This looks like a great book.

My garden is doing amazingly well this year which I really needed after last years outcome. The heirloom cherry tomatoes I'm growing for the first time are so delicious. We have been eating salads for weeks we have had so much lettuce.  Between our garden and the farmers market, veggies have been the star of dinners lately. It's time now to start putting some of the herbs away for the winter months.




 Tomorrows list...

  1. Cut arugula to make pesto for the freezer
  2. Cut Thai basil, pack in ice cube trays with a bit of water, for the freezer.
  3. Cut Greek oregano to dry.
  4. Cut rosemary to dry.
  5. Cut thyme to dry.
  6. Cut Genovese Basil and make pesto for the freezer.
  7. Cut some of everything to take to work

One of my husbands Tae Kwon Do students brought us a HUGE bag of blueberries from her farm and they are delicious.  I made blueberry muffins, we had them on waffles and I have a lot frozen to use later.




Last Friday we enjoyed our first BLT of the season.  We will only eat them with fresh garden tomatoes so it's been since last September since we've had one.  I think eating seasonally when things are at their best makes you appreciate them so much more. 

We had our first house guests since 2019 over 4th of July weekend.  It was nice seeing them and we had a good time but it was also a little strange for us since we've been so isolated for so long. To celebrate the holiday I smoked ribs, chicken wings and enjoyed deviled eggs, slaw, pinto beans, grill setting off some fireworks and enjoying the ones our neighbors set off.  It was a nice weekend and the weather could not have been more perfect.

I've been spending any rainy days we have inside cleaning out closets, drawers and each and every room.  This weekend I am going to straighten out the pantry and make a list of things I want to stock up on for the next several months.  Covid numbers here in our area are spiking up again.  If you saw how crowded the water park is each day you would not be surprised.  Over half of our population here has not been vaccinated yet people are acting as if the virus is gone.  I want to be prepared for this fall and winter.

Now that I'm caught up on everything I plan on getting back to regular posts.

How is your summer going?

11 comments:

  1. This post makes me so happy Lori! I'm so glad your garden is being good to you, there's nothing like growing your own. I have a hard time growing anything here, but I do manage to baby my herbs enough to keep them going.

    I can only imagine how weird it must have been having a houseguest after all this time. I have a close friend who keeps wanting to get together, but we are still being extra careful and I'm just not ready to pretend everything is back to normal yet like so many other are.

    I hope you get lots more outside time this weekend - enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a very hard time growing much in Florida myself. That is one reason I'm happy here.
      It was very strange even though it was two family members and we were all vaccinated.
      We had thunderstorms all night and it is cloudy this morning so I don't think I will get much time outside today. Have a great weekend Martha.

      Delete
  2. What you've been growing looks fantastic!

    Summer has been weird. For the most part, my morning routine is to do all of the cleaning and errands before lunch so I can do whatever I want afterward. I guess that's what I'll be up to for the next couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!
    Your schedule sounds perfect to me. When I had summers off I had the same schedule for myself and it worked well.
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been so rainy and miserable here, it does not seem like summer. -sigh- But today and tomorrow.... sunny and lovely!!!

    "You can't stay in your corner of the forest
    waiting for others to come to you.
    You have to go to them sometimes."

    ~A. A. Milne
    ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear you finally have sunny and lovely weather! We had rain over night but it cleared up a little while ago so I sat out reading for a bit. Beautiful quote. Thank you for sharing that.

      Delete
  5. Wow you are doing great, we have yet to get a red tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am thrilled with how the garden is doing this year. Last year almost all of my peppers and tomatoes were eaten by a ground hog and squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am mad-jealous! Tomatoes!
    I hope to find some local toms before I leave Michigan,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first BLT was so good. I hope you find some before you leave.

      Delete