Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2022

Canned or Fresh?

When I was growing up, we always had Thanksgiving at my maternal Grandparents.  Gram always served both fresh and canned cranberry sauce.  Honestly, back then I typically reached for the canned that she served sliced on a small crystal platter.  When I started making Thanksgiving dinner myself, I decided to ditch the can and only serve the homemade version she always made.

Cranberry Sauce
2/3 Cup of Sugar
1/2 Cup fresh orange juice and zest (this is about 1 large orange)
1/2 Cup of Water
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Pinch of salt
12 ounces of cranberries

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan.  Bring up to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 15 minutes.  Let cool before serving.

The windchill is making it feel like 6 degrees outside.  Yes, 6.  The big guy is gone until Monday, so I have the house to myself and am going to clean from top to bottom to be ready for Thanksgiving and the official start of the Holiday season.  It's perfect weather for it.

So, do you prefer canned or fresh?  Inquiring minds want to know.


16 comments:

  1. I used to use the canned because that’s what my kids liked. They are all adults now and my oldest brings homemade cranberry sauce. It is bitterly cold here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how so many kids enjoyed the canned as kids but grew up wanting the homemade. This cold weather so early is not normal for our area. Stay warm and cozy this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a classic! I can't remember when I started making cranberry sauce from scratch, but since then, I've always stuck to it. But set a can of jellied cranberry sauce in front of me, and I'd eat the whole thing with a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...it's been so long since I've had the jellied cranberry sauce but I'm sure I'd still enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. So I like both, and each have different appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Based on that recipe, I'd be willing to try fresh. Unfortunately, I grew up in a canned household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with canned at all. I've eaten my share for sure.

      Delete
  6. it was always canned for me growing up but now I prefer fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only remember canned growing up but I always make my own now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes yes yes I just pulled out the recipe of my mother's and found it disappointing. This one seems much better. Ever add orange liqueur to yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have and it is tasty. You still need to use a little orange juice and zest though.

      Delete
  9. Oh this is so funny. Growing up, I only ever knew the canned jellied cranberry sauce, always on my grandmother's table at Thanksgiving and Christmas, cut into the fat discs. I loved it. Later when I was married and the kids were little, we always went to TG's parents' house in Ohio for the holidays. My mother in law made a delicious jello salad with nuts and celery and I guess there were cranberries in there somewhere, and this was a stand-in for the traditional canned cranberry sauce, which she never served. When I became the cook for the holidays, I mostly used canned whole berry sauce ... then came the day several years ago when I realized you could MAKE your own cranberry sauce. My recipe is more involved than yours but oh how I love it! In fact nobody loves it as much as I do, haaahaha and so this year I made it for Thanksgiving and froze half of it for Christmas. It does make a lot and it's so delicious! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how each family has their own specific traditions and as we encounter them we start to create our own from our own experiences? I would LOVE to try your recipe. You should share some time. Hugs my friend!

      Delete