Pages

Sunday, May 14, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind:  
As usual, we have had a very short period of time of Spring like weather and we jumped straight to Summer.  It has been in the 80's and SO humid.  A storm is supposed to pass through later this afternoon which is predicted to cool it off a bit for a couple of days.  Luckily, last Monday the AC guy did come out and all we needed was the braker switch on the electrical panel replaced.  Even though it was technically our AC not working, the guy changed it and didn't even charge us.

What I'm watching:
We finished Spring Baking Championship and caught up on Chao House.  Other than that, I really didn't watch any movies or TV shows.

What I'm reading:
Again, I did not pick up a book all week.  I think I'm in a bit of a reading rut.  

What I'm listening to:
There is a podcast, Table Manners that I listed to a bit this week.  It is hosted by a Mother, Daughter duo and is an interesting program. 

What I'm eating:
                                                

Lamb burgers with oven fries. I made another batch of buns for these and they turned out amazing.
BIG Salad
Pasta, salad and garlic toast
Chicken Tikka Masala, rice and Naan.  This week I need to make another batch of Naan for the freezer.  It really does freeze well.

Roasted veggie and rice bowls.
Pizza and salad

Who needs a good slap:
The US government for the situation at the borders that has been a problem for decades with no solid laws and policy.  It was sometime in the early 90's while living in Florida that I met various people that came here from other countries.  One woman was a doctor in Venezuela who left everything behind and came here to start a better life.  She didn't qualify as a doctor here so had to find various jobs while learning English and going through the paperwork and creating a new life with no one here that she knew.  I realized then just how bad it must be in some Countries that you are willing to leave everything and everyone behind and go to a country where you had nothing but hope.  I don't know what the solution is and I know we can't take care of our own citizens let alone millions of others.  I have no idea how to fix this, I just know we need to do better.  

What I'm planning:
This week and coming weekend I will be spending a lot of time outside working on the gardens.  I had a pot of mint growing on a steppingstone close to one of the flower beds and somehow it found its way in.  I have about 4x4 feet of mint growing.  I pulled a lot yesterday and dehydrated it and am giving it away.  There is so much mint.  I guess I should also give myself a few slaps for letting this happen.

What's making me smile:
Last week was hospital week and one of the events was they had various cards you could pick up to send to coworkers that said things like You're a Joy to work with and had an almond joy bar attached They were all delivered Friday. It was fun to send them out to all of the people that help make my job easier and to receive them from others but the best thing I found was getting an email from someone that I sent one too telling me it made her feel so good to get that as it had been a brutal work week.  That was the best smile of the week for me.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday and a great week ahead.  

22 comments:

  1. My suggestion for the excess mint is to make mint tea. I mix half mint with have brewed tea. Of course I am from the south so it is sweetened and served over ice
    The almond joy with cards is such a kind way to acknowledge those around you.
    Welcome to summer. It made its way here and I expect no relief until late October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two people that want quite a bit of the mint so that is good. I do like to make mint tea. The big guy only drinks it hot while I only drink it on ice. The cards were a cute idea and we all enjoyed them.

      Delete
  2. That's great that the AC was an easy fix and he took care of it without charging you.
    What a great idea with the cards. A card really can lift someone's spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad he figured out the issue before the heatwave came. It was nice he didn't charge. Cards do always make me smile. Even by giving them.

      Delete
  3. The immigration situation is dire everywhere. In the UK the Poles and Romanians (mainly) were the hard-working people who picked the harvests and did an awful lot of menial jobs that nobody else wanted to do. After Brexit, guess which country can't get it's harvests picked? Then of course you have the illegals, many of whom have no intention of looking for work and are a burden on a country that can't even look after its own. When you have your own veterans sleeping on the streets and illegals being housed, fed and watered, it makes my blood boil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that it is a complex issue but there has to be a better way of handling things. Our US government seems to either want control of things and then screws them all up or has control of something and just does nothing.

      Delete
  4. It's always lovely to get something sweet like that. That AC guy was nice.. lucky you.
    I agree with the immigration situation. I feel like they should have a set criteria.. and then just like with legal immigration you go in for an interview you probably walk up to the immigration center at the border and lay out your case, if you meet the criteria you get in if you don't well then you don't. It will hopefully allow the people in more dire situations in and the freeloaders out. Just my 2cents.
    Our property lines up with a forested area and and old cemetery. The whole area is whole of weeds.. we planted some mint back there over the weekend hoping it does take over. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I feel Hena. The US uses laws, policies, criteria for everything but has nothing to help with the immigration situation. There are too many people that really need help and they aren't getting it. Trust me, the mint will take over quickly.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to hear it was only a switch that needed to be replaced, and not the AC unit itself.

    I know a great, big wall won't help the immigration problem. In nearby Otay Mesa and San Ysidro, there are buildings with underground tunnels that get around that problem. Also the great, big wall can be cut through with power tools from Lowe's or Home Depot.

    It sounds like you had a good week, and I hope this upcoming one is a better one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, a wall is not what we need. I watched a documentary on all of the tunnels. I agree with Hena, we need our government to figure out who really needs help and who doesn't and make this process quicker for everyone. Things are getting so bad in other countries this problem is only going to increase. It is sad to see so many going through this.

      Delete
  6. Mint is very invasive, your food looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I don't know how it jumped the pot and made it to the flower bed but it did.

      Delete
  7. Hello, my friend! I have a very strong opinion on the immigration crisis. My son-in-law is Danish, and the process he is going through to be able to live here as an employed, tax paying citizen is unbelievable. He and Madison have to submit their text messages, documents from family and friends, and photos just to prove they are indeed actually in love and are married! In addition, Nicolas has to travel to Pittsburgh to be interviewed periodically and of course, they have to pay an immigration attorney. Sorry for the rant, just hard to believe what I see down there. This doesn't even take the human suffering into account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beyond unacceptable what our government is putting people through. I work for a number of doctors that are here on a visa from many different countries and I'm all too familiar with the hoops they have to routinely jump through. Some of them have been here 10-15 years and are still not citizens. I'm sorry your SIL and your family is dealing with this. I just wish we would do better on this.

      Delete
  8. I have been in quite the reading slump for a long while. I am not sure why.
    Your meals sound yummy.
    I have been trying to spend yard time between rain! Next couple of days look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By this time of year, I've usually read a dozen or more books and I think I've only read 5 or 6. I'm not sure what it is but hopefully my reading mojo will come back soon. We went back to a bit more Spring than Summer weather the last few days and it's been wonderful.

      Delete
  9. Hardly a day goes by that I don't want to give the US Government a good slap for various reasons! I have been in a reading slump for months now and can't seem to pull myself out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are getting really upside down here in the US and all over the world, actually. I guess I'm not alone in my reading slump. I've just felt blah lately.

      Delete
  10. Ugh I'm sorry you had a brutal work week. I hope next week is much, much better. And not for nothing but we DO have immigration laws that the politicians REFUSE to enforce. Every single one of the illegals are just that: ILLEGAL and should be deported. And they don't come just for hope ... they come for HANDOUTS! And all the politicians hope for in return is that they go to the polls and mash D for Democrat. More handouts!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've just had the blahs for a couple weeks. I'm sure this will be a better week. I only have to work 3 days. lol

      Delete
  11. I think I will try lambburgers this memorial day weekend. I hope there isn't anything I need to do with them before grilling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sprinkle a bit of cumin, salt and pepper on them and they are good to go.

      Delete