Pages

Sunday, May 28, 2023

My Week-Beginning of Chapter 56

It was another week of beautiful Spring weather.  Lows in the 40's, highs in the 70's and very little humidity.  Just perfect weather.  This week I see highs in the 80's and even 90 so summer weather is coming.  All of my perennials have come back twice as big as last year and the herbs and veggies are starting to grow which always makes me happy.  I stopped at the Farmers Market and picked up honey, strawberries, cucumbers and a gorgeous head of red leaf lettuce.  It was nice to see the farmer that I hadn't seen since late last Fall.  He reminded me it's close to cherry picking season so I will be sure and get there for them.  

Thursday I celebrated my Birthday at my favorite place with my favorite person.  Lunch was amazing as always and I could look at that view for hours.  I received so many texts and phone calls from friends.  My best friend of 30+ years called and we talked for hours.  There is something so special about a lifelong friend who knows you sometimes better than you know yourself.  



The big guy baked my favorite cake and it turned out so pretty and delicious.  Gotta love a guy that doesn't cook much surprising you with a birthday cake.


We eat Oui yogurt from time to time and I always save the glass jars.  They are perfect for holding small items in drawers.  I was super excited to find out someone had come up with the wonderful idea of making lids for them.


I used some for my spice overflow.


I'm excited I still have two days left of my mini vacation.  I plan on relaxing, reading a bit outside and cooking up some good food before I'm back in reality on Tuesday morning.


Binx just gets cuter by the day.  June 4th is his gotcha day and I can't believe it's been a year already.

I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday and have a lovely Memorial Day!

35 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Hasn’t May been so nice? That cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bijoux! May has been a gorgeous month here.

      Delete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday my dear friend. Looks like you had a wonderful birthday. That's so sweet of the big guy to bake your favorite cake and it's beautiful too. Chocolate cake is my absolute favorite! I love that Oui jar idea, but I like that 'Cake for breakfast' sign even better...lol. Binx is so adorable. I can't believe you've had him for a year already. Seems like just the other day that we learned of his arrival. Hope you & the big guy have a wonderful week. Enjoy the rest of your time off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend! My mother used to let me have cake for breakfast from time to time even though it really upset my father. I remember her telling him 'it's no different than a donut' so when I saw this sign, I had to have it. I hope things are going well with you!!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday!!! That cake looks wonderful, and so does Binx. Hopefully the weather continues to cooperate with you over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Binx is growing so quickly. I hope you're doing well.

      Delete
  4. I love those lids. Where did you find?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stinko! I wish I had known it was your birthday! I would have done something other than wish you many happy returns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! That is a good looking cake. It has been a long time since someone last made me a cake for my birthday. Not to worry, I end up making my own. Isn’t it exciting to see last year’s herbs and flowers come back up with such vigor? I garden in containers on my deck. My son came one weekend and set up a drip irrigation system for me, and I’m really enjoying that. It’s not perfect because the big pots don’t tend to get enough water, and the small pots get too much, but I am working it out. I’m happy to see my cherry tomatoes are growing like mad. I cannot wait to sink my teeth into a fresh tomato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Fresh veggies and fruit and herbs is the best thing about this time of year. I can't wait to have my first BLT of the season. I haven't had one since the last tomato last fall. Sounds like you have a lovely set up. Happy growing season!!

      Delete
  7. Happy belated birthday. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the time off and had a good birthday. That cake looks delicious. My husband never would have attempted to bake me a cake. He would cook but not bake cakes. His specialty was buying a dairy queen ice cream cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The big guy is a keeper, he has baked me a few cakes for birthdays, otherwise he doesn't cook or bake other than with me from time to time. A DQ cake is good too though.

      Delete
  8. Happy belated birthday. Sounds like a wonderful day to spend it. How sweet your hubby baked you a cake. Your Binx is a doll!!!!
    It is going to get hot here this week too. I guess summer is here. They say Memorial Day is the beginning of summer - looks like they are right this year.
    Enjoy your last vacation day!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl!! It was a nice day. Binx is the best cat. Too smart for his own good. Yes, Summer weather starts this week. At least we did get a bit of Spring weather. Sometimes it feels like we go from furnace to air conditioning. Have a great week!!

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday Lori, and what a lovely cake the big guy made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The cake was delicious and full of sprinkles.

      Delete
  10. Belated Happy Birthday, Lori! I hope the day was grand. Oh and nice cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. It was a lovely day. The big guy did a wonderful job on the cake.

      Delete
  11. Happy belated birthday the cake looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Lori!! That cake looks delicious!! Glad you had a great day! 🎂🎉🎈

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy happy birthday for last week! Love that photo of your cat - so cute. And what a splendid cake was made for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. It was the chocolate cake and chantilly icing that you shared. We LOVE that cake.

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday Lori! That cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday! Have a good week ahead. See you next time (sorry to be late)
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Belated Birthday! The big guy made a nice birthday cake for you! Looks delicious! Binx is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanette. It's hard to believe Binx has been with us a year already.

      Delete
  17. That CAKE!~ My word! How wonderful. I hope you had a perfectly magical birthday. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is the cake recipe I found on Sherry's Pickings and it is delicious. It's also very easy to make. I have her link to it on this post. I think you'd love it. https://culinaryadventureswithlori.blogspot.com/2023/03/in-my-kitchen-february-2023.html

      Delete