Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind:  Stocking up for the winter.  The last few weeks I've been doing inventory and stocking up on everything.  I am making my last list to pick things up this weekend and then we should be set other than quick trips for fresh veggies and fruit and dairy products.  Long before Covid we've avoided restaurants and shopping as much as possible in late fall and winter.  Too many people do not stay home when they are sick, and I don't want to catch even a cold. And worse is the big guy getting sick.  He tends to be VERY dramatic when he doesn't feel well.

Where I've been:  Aldi, the library, and breakfast out on Saturday. We also went to the city park for the last Market Days of the season. It has food trucks and vendors of all kinds.  We usually just go for the walk, but I did find a cute Hocus Pocus T shirt with Binx jumping on one of their backs.  I had to get it because he does that to me all the time.  I'll just pair it with black leggings and my witch's hat for giving out candy on Halloween.  It was a 4-day work week, but I swear sometimes they seem even longer somehow.

Where I'm going: I'll make one last trip to stock up on Saturday, then Sunday we're going to the Elks for a chicken dinner benefit. Their fried chicken dinner tastes just like my grandmothers did, so I am looking forward to that.  Other than that, work and home.

What I'm watching:  Live to 100...Secrets of the Blue Zone on Netflix.  I've watched the first 4 episodes and have really enjoyed it.  I've read a few books about the blue zones and Ikigai but watching this series visit people in their communities and hearing them tell their stories is even better.  I highly recommend it.

What I'm reading:  I'm halfway through Welcome to Beach Town.  I read for a few hours yesterday when I should have been getting things done because it is one of those books that I just don't want to put down.  

What I'm eating:
BIG salad x2
Leftover meatballs, pasta and salad
Lamb burgers, zucchini fries
Chicken Tikka Masala, rice, Naan
Chicken and veggie egg rolls
 
Who needs a good slap: The cashier at Aldi.  I know they are timed when checking people out, but he was downright rude. The only word he spoke was when he told me the total.  He whipped the cart around just as I was removing my purse then hit me with the other cart while turning it around.  No apology at all. I started to say something but I'm sure it would have been lost on him. I give him 3 slaps.  

Have you noticed how horrible customer service is now?

What's making me smile: Ticking things off my to do list.  I took two boxes of stuff to Goodwill this week. I'm not a fan of GW but we have no other option here.  There is a FB group to offer free stuff but last year when I used that to give away our old Christmas tree it was a pain.  

Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday!!


28 comments:

  1. Customer service has been horrible for awhile now, and don't get me started on that tip culture.

    On the flip side, when I was in customer service last year I noticed how awful the customers were getting. They were a big reason why I fled when I did. I just got tired of getting battered by unruly customers and micromanagers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see more good customer service than bad here so it really stood out to me.
      I'm glad you were able to leave that job. No one should be treated that way.

      Delete
  2. I have never used those free neighborhood sites. I keep thinking about it.
    My Aldi has lovely attendants. Many places I go - I have know the cashiers from years back. But yes, customer service leaves a bit to be desired, but customers can be a pip as well.
    Your meals sound good.
    Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the site once offering a free Christmas tree. I contacted the first one that said she really needed it but for over a week she kept coming up with excuses on why she couldn't pick it up. I finally had to tell her I was going to give to the next person in line.
      This is the first time I've had bad service at Aldi so I'm thinking he was new and will hopefully improve.

      Delete
  3. Customer service is nonexistent these days. I’ve listened to a few podcasts about the Blue Zone. I find it fascinating. I agree that the Buy Nothing group is a hassle with the people who say they want something and then fail to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue zone is fascinating. That is the exact experience I had with our buy nothing group. It was frustrating.

      Delete
  4. Blue zones are fascinating to me. Funny how so many try to eat and be healthy but seldom attempt to nurture the real key that is social support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This series covered all of the similarities between the zones and diet is actually the smallest piece. Walking, Faith, Purpose, Partnership, Finding your tribe...they all amount to much more than diet.

      Delete
  5. My Aldi also has some very nice employees. I have never had an issue with any of them, but I am able to go when the stores are not particularly crowded and that might make a big difference.
    I have the Blue Zone in my queue to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He very well may have had a bad day. Usually customer service in this area is pretty good. I think that's why his behavior stood out to me.

      Delete
  6. Customer service is horrible. You would think being polite would kill some of these people. I always treat people the way I would want to be treated if I was on the other side of the counter.
    Not a lot of choices here for donating things either but there's a drop off bin I use for clothes that all go veterans. If I have other items I'll sometimes just put them at the curb and someone will always pick them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually pretty good here so I was a bit shocked. We have put a number of things on the curb as well and they go pretty quickly.

      Delete
  7. So sorry you experienced such poor customer service.
    Sounds like you have been busy getting ready for the winter..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor customer service here is actually pretty rare so I think that is what made it stand out so much. I have been very busy but it will be worth it to taste summer freshness this winter.

      Delete
  8. I would have loved to have been there to see you slap him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtual slaps only. I'm too old to go to jail now.

      Delete
  9. Live to 100...Secrets of the Blue Zone - I started to watch it and forgot about it- thanks for the reminder.. I've had a "thing" with customer service this summer and yes I do notice the horrible customer service. My husband and I were at Trader Joe's today and both of us couldn't wait to get out. It was sloppy, dirty, and the the help was sitting around socializing with each other. In addition, the music was enough to give you a headache. It was not our local Trader Joe but one we passed traveling home from another state. Usually Trader Joe's is great! 'What's happening???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the series very interesting and gave me a number of things to really think about. We were at Kohls the other day and the big guy asked someone that worked there where a particular item was and she literally had a blank look on her face and walked off without saying a word. I don't know what's happening.

      Delete
  10. I love that you are stocked up for winter. I'm trying to stock a bit on a small scale - enough that's easy to move. Customer service is extremely bad Everywhere! I cannot stand rudeness. People like that need a whole bunch of slaps. I'm sorry you had to experience that. I complimented the RA manager the other day, because they always provide good service at that location. It's so rare, that it feels good to experience great, friendly service from time to time. I'm going to leave good feedback for them. Hope you & the big guy have a wonderful week. A hug for Binx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really just hate having to go out when it's cold or snowy and so many germs flying around.
      I always acknowledge good customer service when I get it. I want them to know how much I appreciate it. I know they deal with a lot from some customers who are rude and I feel for them. Wishing you a good week also. Binx does love hugs.

      Delete
  11. Oo that cashier! I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut! He sounds like he's miserable at his job! I'm going to check out that book you are reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looked pretty miserable and while I'm sorry he is, there is no excuse. I finished the book this week and it was a really good one.

      Delete
  12. How interesting I've never really stocked up anythng on anything. Except the pumpkin I fear I won't find prior to Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother always was stocked up so she didn't have to go out for much and I saw how much easier that made her life so I guess that is one reason. I also don't care much for shopping and love to hibernate in the winter so it works for me.

      Delete
  13. I'm curious about Goodwill - it's a charity I take it? Are they awful? Yes customer service can be tricky these days - not much of it! We have a Buy Nothing page in our community; I must have been lucky as almost everyone turns up :=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Goodwill is a charity organization here is the US. From things I've read, they pay their top CEO quite a large salary and tend to really up the prices on donations they receive. I only tried our Buy Nothing page once, so maybe I should give it another try.

      Delete
  14. Customer service? WHAT customer service? See my latest blog post, haaahaha! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good customer service is a thing of the past.

      Delete