Pages

Sunday, September 17, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind:  The patio garden.  As soon as I finish this post, I'm going to go out and cut more basil for another batch to dry and another batch of pesto for the freezer.  Then later this afternoon I'm going to get pots ready for another round of lettuce, coriander, radishes, cilantro and get my garlic planted for next year.  I also picked up two packets of edible flowers to try for one of the doctors I work with.  He is very into gourmet cooking and requested these.  I'm excited to see how they turn out. 

Where I've been:  I have two friends that I used to work with and prior to the lockdowns we used to meet once a month for dinner.  The last dinner we had was at my house in December 2019.  We finally decided to start meeting again and it's really been fun.  Wednesday night I laughed more than I have in a very long time.  Aside from dinner out and work, I didn't go anywhere else.

Where I'm going:  Today we're going for a benefit lunch that I'm looking forward to.  Other than work, I have no plans so far.

What I'm watching:  I didn't watch much this week but did catch the latest episode of Southern Charm.  

What I'm reading:  Cassoulet Confessions by Sylvie Bigar. "Sylvie tripped my trigger.  I love the journey she takes us on!" From Andrew Zimmerman. I am enjoying it.

What I'm eating:

I made the first pot of soup this fall since our temperatures went way down. I made my spicey chicken and white bean soup and served it with cornbread.  It was so good.
BIG salad
Dinner out so I fixed a bowl of grits and eggs for the big guy.  He loves it.
Left over soup with cheese roll ups.
Pickle juice marinated chicken legs, baked potato and small salad
Homemade pasta with veggies and basil pesto, small salad You can tell it's getting darker out earlier by the darkness of the photo.


Who needs a good slap:  I have nothing this week.  I guess that is a good thing.

What I'm planning:  Now that the humidity has gone way down, I'm excited to plan new recipes.  I'd really like to do a new one every week but I'm going to start with two a month and hopefully by the new year I can make a goal of one a week.  There are just so many wonderful recipes I want to try and cooking really is a big stress reliever.

What's making me smile:  The cooler temperatures.  I know we'll have more warm days possibly through November, but the cooler air has been so nice. It is feeling like Fall.  

Wishing everyone a wonderful week.  What are you all up to?

28 comments:

  1. I'm glad things are going well out there, and the cooler temperatures are a welcome relief from the heat and humidity. I hope next week is more of the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that the coming week is supposed to bring your area cooler temps. I hope you enjoy.

      Delete
  2. Nice that you got to visit and dine with old friends. That is always fun. Your soup sounds divine. I did chili - been craving it - and cooler temps just screamed soup!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice Cheryl. The soup is really good but I am now craving chili. Maybe this week. Wishing you a good week also!!

      Delete
  3. You know what I’ve been up to! But I did make a Big Greek Salad for dinner. We are picking our second planting of green beans. Still getting tomatoes, but that looks like it’s about all. Only had one eggplant and no zucchini or yellow squash. We had a lot of issues with slugs this year.

    I LOVE Southern Charm. Such a guilty pleasure for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's going ok. Big Greek Salad sounds delicious. I always put a small saucer of beer around the squash and that seems to kill the slugs. Yay another Southern Charm fan!! I've been watching since the beginning and yes, a true guilty pleasure.

      Delete
  4. Hi Lori~ Long time no see! As always, I love what you eat for dinners... it gives me so many good ideas. I love that it's getting cooler, and, that it's soup season. I've been craving white bean chicken chili! No slaps this week?! It must be a good thing! See you soon! Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb!! You've had a busy summer. We eat pretty easy, simple meals most of the time. I also love this time of year. I'm ready for it. Have a great week.

      Delete
  5. How nice to go out and pick things fresh from a garden.
    Years ago, like 30, I used to go out once a week after work with a few friends. It was always so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love going out and getting veggies or herbs. It is fun to hang out and talk. The three of us are all around the same age so it's funny how the conversations have changed over the years. Enjoy your day off my friend.

      Delete
  6. I haven't planted a garden in many years.. too much work for me but I did love harvesting the crops! Instead I just go to local farmer's markets. Your dinners sound delicious and I am thinking about soups right now as we are starting to get slightly cooler weather. It's Judee from Gluten Free A-Z Blog. Blogger no longer is allowing me to use my URL... don't know why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really downsized our garden this year and supplemented with the farmers market. Know I only grow the things that harder to find at the market here. That first pot of soup really hit the spot. I'm looking forward to many more. A lot of sites are having issues with signing in. Not sure why. Thanks for letting me know it was you.

      Delete
  7. I just love corn bread with anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made my first pot of soup today. I just love soup weather.
    Nice of you and your old coworkers to get together again.. after so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love soup weather also. It's so comforting. It was good to meet with them again.

      Delete
  9. Hello! I am right there with you, my friend. I am ready for soups and stews! So glad you had a fun night with friends. Have a cozy week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ready too Billie Jo! Yes, it was a fun night and I'm glad we're meeting up again. Wishing you a great week as well.

      Delete
  10. I've always said I'd like to try a new recipe every week but somehow never make it. Maybe now that the cooler weather is here I'll achieve that on occasion. Oh and I'm making split pea and ham soup today - autumn is coming isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get to one a week after the new year. Split pea and ham soup sounds wonderful! It was 47 this morning here but we'll have more hot days for a month or so. But yes, autumn is knocking on the door.

      Delete
  11. I'm up to no good as usual but I'm so glad you got together with your friends. Have fun with the new recipes. I like that the Big Guy loves grits and eggs. That's one of my favorite things too and in fact it's what I had at Eggs Up Grill for lunch after church on Sunday. It's called the Southern Bowl ... a generous bowl of creamy, buttery grits topped with home fries, sausage crumbles, sausage gravy, and eggs. I had them make my eggs over medium. It was delicious. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to meet up for dinner with friends isn't it? Yes the Big Guy loves when I go out because he knows he will get his favorite grits and eggs for dinner when I get back. He even said why don't you guys do this once a week? lol

      Delete
  12. Soup in the fall ! Best time to make soup in my opinion. That, or chili. Yes, I will make some soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soups, stews, chili are good comfort food in the fall and winter. I hope you get cooler weather soon.

      Delete
  13. Yummy on all the food. We're not big on soup, but I love making comfort food as soon as the fall weather starts. I like your idea of trying a new recipe every week. I might have to do the same as I get tired of eating the same thing over & over. Hope you & the big guy have a wonderful weekend. Always hugs for Binx :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy chili's or stews more than soup but I do love the spicey chicken soup and a few others. I like variety so it's time to dust off the cookbooks and try some new meals. Wishing you a great weekend also my friend. As I type this, Binx is flying through the house and sounds like he weighs 50 pounds instead of 10.

      Delete
  14. My sister in law does "souper Sunday" every winter where she cooks a different soup every week. I may try that this year. I like my soups so thick though they turn out to be stews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea Jeanette. I also lean towards stews more than typical soups.

      Delete