Some summer pictures from our house.
TBG celebrated another birthday on the 16th. He decided he wanted to try out a new BBQ place for lunch that day, so we headed west to Sugarfire Smokehouse - The Best St. Louis Style Barbecue. To our surprise, there was a man in front of us getting a large order to go and when he noticed TBG's veterans' hat, the thanked him for his service and then told the cashier he wanted to pick up our check too. We tried to talk him out of it be he said you did more for our country than I ever did so I insist. We told him thank you and I mentioned it was his Birthday so he proceeded to sing Happy Birthday on his way out. He was such a happy guy, and it was nice to be reminded that there really are some great people in the world.
Since TBG's party wasn't until the 18th he said he didn't want a cake and chose chocolate brownies with vanilla bean ice cream and caramel sauce. It really was good.
We celebrated July 18th in Bloomington with a lot of friends and family and it was a perfect day for a road trip. On the trip there I caught this picture that made me smile.
I didn't watch or read much but I did catch one really good movie on Netflix. Ordinary Angel. It was a really good movie based on a true story. I loved it.
Meals we've eaten lately...
Spaghetti with meatballs, salad, garlic bread
BLT and zucchini fries
Coho salmon, pinto beans and rice Culinary Adventures with Lori: 52 new recipes in 52 weeks #1 Braised Pinto Beans
Jerk chicken legs, pesto mac and cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes and red onion, garlic toast
I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying this last bit of summer (or winter). We're heading out to a special girls second birthday party! Have a great Sunday.
Such a sweet and kind guy :-) That brownie did look so tempting!
ReplyDeleteHe really was a very nice guy.
DeleteThe brownie was very good. I made more yesterday.
Yes, Summer is flying by!
ReplyDeleteYou've been busy. Our produce is just starting so canning and freezing is starting too.
I love that the man honored TBG! Our veterans do deserve that. Happy Birthday to him -the brownie looks so good!
It is flying by. It's a lot of work but worth it in the long run isn't it?
DeleteHe was a great guy! So nice and full of life. I love meeting people like that.
The brownie was so good with the ice cream, I made them again yesterday.
Wow you've been busy. What a nice thing for that man to do for TBG.
ReplyDeleteI have been. That guy was so awesome. He was just such a happy person.
DeleteHard to believe it is August and school is back in session here. Your garden is ahead of mine - nothing much to can here yet, but lots to eat. I sure love all the summer yummies.
ReplyDeleteSuch a lovely thing for that guy to do by paying for the dinners. Yes, there are still some good guys out there.
I don't think school starts back here for another week or two but still earlier than I ever did. We never went back until after Labor Day.
DeleteHe was a good reminder that there are still really nice people out there.
I'm with TBG on that brownie, though I do love cake. Your garden was marvelous.
ReplyDeleteThe brownies with ice cream and caramel were very good. The garden is doing well this year.
DeleteThe garden produce looks lovely. I am mad-jealous.
ReplyDeleteThe best thing about summer is all of the fresh produce.
DeleteHow kind of that man to pay for your meal!!!! A lovely gesture and I'm glad you accepted!
ReplyDeleteHe was a really nice guy!
DeleteThere is still kindness. Pesto mac & cheese. I must try this. You have been busy.
ReplyDeleteA spoon full of pesto stirred into the mac and cheese is wonderful. You should try it.
DeleteI wish I could find green peppers like that at the farmers market I shop at. I'm also with TBG. I'd be thrilled with brownies and ice cream for my own birthday. Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteThe brownie and ice cream was a good choice. It was really good. I hope you're staying cool and have a good week also.
DeleteA belated but no less sincere HAPPY BIRTHDAY to TBG! How wonderful. And WOW the gentleman who paid for your meal -- so classy. I love that. Love love love it. That's who I want to be. And a more deserving couple I could not imagine. I would forego a cake for that brownie with caramel sauce and ice cream and a great big fat pecan on top too!!!! And wow I would love to visit Sugarfire. Sounds like an idyllic birthday. And Lori your herb garden and your produce and your beautiful canned and preserved things are just truly amazing. You are so clever, my friend! Love to you both, and to sweet Binx! xoxo 🏴☠️
ReplyDeleteI will relay the Birthday wishes to him. He had a lovely day and weekend being celebrated which is what a birthday is all about. The man was so kind, generous and just seemed so happy. He was a true joy and not just because he bought our meals. He just radiated kindness. Sugarfire was good but honestly neither of us thought it was wonderful and I don't think we'll go back. Love and hugs to you and your family as well. Have a fabulous week.
DeleteWhat a sweet birthday treat!
ReplyDeleteThanks.
DeleteBelated Happy Birthday to TBG!
ReplyDeleteI honestly think the good people outweigh the bad or indifferent 100 to 1, but we hear more about the others. It was lovely you mentioned that act of kindness so we get a glimpse at what he did.
I think I am going to follow your lead about 52 new recipes, but I plan on starting in January (and most likely will forget about it, so please remind me at the start of the year)
Thank you, Anne. I agree that the good outweigh the bad. It's just such a great reminder when you meet people like him. He just seemed like such a very happy guy it was nice.
DeleteI tried the 52 in 52 weeks and I couldn't do it. This year I tried 26 in 2026 and I'm not doing very well with that one either. I have a lot of catching up to do to make it.
I will remind you in December in case you want to give it a go. (If I don't forget)
Happy Birthday to TBG and also Happy 2nd birthday to your special girl! That was very nice of the man in the restaurant to pay for your meal! Your garden and all the food looks great!
ReplyDeleteThank you Jeanette. This year has been a pretty good year for the gardens here.
DeletePutting away summer produce for the fall and winter is such a good idea. Unfortunately, we head out of here in early October and can't bring the food with us to Florida. Happy belated Birthday to TBG and how thoughtful of that gentleman to recognize his service and buy him dinner!
ReplyDeleteTime is flying. It seems like you just left Florida for the summer. Thank you, Judee. He was such a nice man and so happy.
Deletethat's lovely about the happy birthday greeting and the paying of your bill!
ReplyDeletesherry
He was a really great guy.
DeleteHappy belated birthday to TBG. What a sweet person to pick up your birthday check! It's so nice to hear about kindness like this.
ReplyDeleteThank you. He just seemed like such a happy guy it was so refreshing.
Delete