Pages

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

52 new recipes in 52 weeks #1 Braised Pinto Beans


One of my projects for 2024 is to try one new recipe each week for the year.  These will be chosen from all of the flagged pages in cookbooks that I have or from the file of 'need to try' recipes.  I will try new desserts, main dishes, side dishes and breads.

This week I chose a recipe I had flagged in Farm to Fork by Emeril Lagasse.  I have a pinto bean recipe that I use but wanted to try this one.  It was a cold and dreary Sunday so I thought beans and rice would hit the spot.

Braised Pinto Beans

4 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2- inch pieces
1 cup diced onions
1 teaspoon garlic, minced (I used 1 tablespoon)
1/4 cup finely diced cilantro stems
1 medium jalapeno, minced
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika (I used 1 tablespoon)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound fresh pinto beans (I used drained, rinsed canned pinto beans)
4 cups chicken stock or broth
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (I used two tablespoons)
1 tablespoon oregano

Cook the bacon in a 3 to 4 quart pot over medium heat until it is crispy and the fat is rendered, 5 to 7 minutes

Add the onions, garlic, cilantro stems, jalapeno, paprika and salt.  Cook until the onions are soft.  About 4 minutes.

Add the beans and the stock and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 1 hour.

When it's ready, add in the cilantro and oregano.

It could be eaten alone but I served over basmati rice. 



I like a lot of flavor and spice so you'll see I upped the amounts on the garlic, cilantro, paprika and oregano.  It all depends on your comfort level and taste.

The recipe isn't complicated at all, the flavor was very good and the beans were perfectly cooked.  I had dried pinto's and I know it would have probably tasted even better had I used them.  I wanted to try this first with canned beans because if it was good using them, it is a good recipe.

All and all, I give the dish an 8.  Very good but not quite AMAZING. 

28 comments:

  1. I enjoy trying new recipes and usually do a new main dish most weeks. I feel as though it's 50-50 on whether we like it enough for me to make again. I get tired of eating the same thing, so that's why I do it, even though it's not the easiest thing. The bacon sounds like a good addition to that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50-50 on whether I'll make things again sounds about right for us too. We also like a lot of variety in our meals so changing things up and adding new dishes is important. Bacon makes everything better if you ask me. Hope you're feeling better!!

      Delete
  2. That looks and sounds SO good, Lori. Thanks for sharing the recipe. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. It is a tasty dish and nice on a cold winter night.

      Delete
  3. Sounds terrific - but you had me at beans and bacon! I would leave out the cilantro (I am one of those people), but the rest sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about beans and bacon. lol
      Cilantro is one of those ingredients that people either love or hate. I get it.

      Delete
  4. Sounds very good. I was also planning on trying a new to me recipe each week, but the first week is over and I did little more than warm stuff up! Maybe I should aim for every 2 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice dish. I have so many recipes set aside to try I figured I should get started. Every 2 weeks would be good to. It's a start, right?

      Delete
  5. It looks very tasty. I have a Pinterest board labeled "gotta try recipes" It has a lot of pins in it but I don't think I've tried many of the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good served over the rice. I had left overs for lunch today and it was actually even better. I had a lot of Pinterest pins too but haven't been there in a long time.

      Delete
  6. Thank you Jeanette! I'm looking forward to trying some new things too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice theme for weekly posts. I'll definitely be following for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a good idea to use one new recipe per week. I should follow your example as I have dozens of recipes I have put in my file that I've only looked at, hahaha! But never made. I'm excited to read about your culinary adventures in 2024! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, I have a file filled too along with pages marked in numerous cookbooks so I though it was time to get some of them made. I hope your New Year is wonderful!!

      Delete
  9. That looks lovely. We're snowed in right now but since I have all the ingredients to hand, that might be happening later today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We have only had a couple of inches of snow this year so far so I'm a bit jealous. I would love a good snow day. If you make it, be sure and let me know what you think of it.

      Delete
  10. I love Emeril, and if it weren't for my condition I'd try cooking this in a heartbeat. To this day I'm still a huge fan of Essense, even if I'm forced to make it myself in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two of his cookbooks and I love them both. I'll be sure and find a few recipes on this challenge that are safe for you to try.

      Delete
  11. great idea to try new recipes. I am in a cookbook club so i get to make a couple of new recipes every month. And I love beans!! Wow - 1 Tbs of paprika is a lot! But then again, an american tablespoon is smaller than ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun to be in a cookbook club! It was closer to a tablespoon than the teaspoon that was recommended. Yes, smaller than your tablespoon. That amount probably would have not been good. lol

      Delete
  12. oops that Anon comment is me - sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. we’ve been working our way through a couple of new cookbooks, and following up on some older ones that we know have good recipes. But deciding on a schedule is too rigid for us; I don’t know if it comes out once a week or some other number of new recipes. Good luck with your plans.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of cookbooks with recipes flagged to try so I figured it was time to get started. I'm sure I'll miss a few weeks but I'm going to give it a shot.

      Delete
  14. This sounds delicious! I love spicy food too :) I have to try this recipe sometime. I think what's missing is Cumin. I would replace the oregano with cumin. I used to watch Emeril religiously when he was on Food Network. Hope you are all well. Stay warm my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was a bit surprised that it called for oregano instead of cumin. I think the cumin would be delicious. Emeril has a lot of good recipes and seems like just a really nice guy. Hope you're staying warm as well!!

    ReplyDelete