It is the time of year in my area where zucchini is abundant. A lot of gardeners are begging to give it away.
I love zucchini so I make the best of it and here are a few of my favorite recipes to enjoy this short window when I have more zucchini than I know what to do with.
Zucchini Fritters
1 1/2 pounds zucchini (about 2 large or 4 medium)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 green onions (chopped)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
Oil for frying
Line a large bowl with a thin kitchen towel or cheesecloth. Grate the zucchini directly into the bowl. Gather the towel and squeeze firmly to remove as much liquid as possible.
Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, garlic, green onions, flour and eggs. Mix un til just combined.
Heat a layer of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture into the hot oil and gently flatten.
Fry for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown and crisp. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
Serve hot with sour cream or your favorite dipping sauce. (They are really good with Ranch)
Zucchini Bread
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup oil (I use avocado or coconut)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (or sour cream or Greek yogurt)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (no need to blot)
Optional-chopped nuts of your choice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan
Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a large bowl and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, both sugars, eggs, applesauce and vanilla until combined then whish in the zucchini.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Gently stir until combined; do not overmix.
Fold in nuts, if using.
Batter will be slightly thick.
Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick or knife comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 1 hour before removing.
Zucchini 'fries'
Thinly dice a small to medium zucchini in rounds.
Dredge in flour, then egg and then panko or breadcrumbs. (I also add a bit of salt, pepper, garlic and paprika to the flour and breadcrumbs.
Place on a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper and a swipe or two or olive oil or avocado oil.
Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes turning once at the halfway point.
You can also shallow fry in a pan or cook in the air fryer.
I also make zucchini tots and they are delicious. See the recipe below
Other things I've tried:
Zucchini noodles
Zucchini boats
Parmesan roasted zucchini
Shredded zucchini is a wonderful addition to traditional spaghetti sauce
What are some of your favorite ways to use zucchini? I am always looking for new ways to try it.
No comments:
Post a Comment