Friday, June 21, 2024

52 Recipes in 52 weeks #12 Zucchini Tots

One of my projects for 2024 is to try one new recipe each week for the year.  These will be chosen from all of the flagged pages in cookbooks that I have or from the file of 'need to try' recipes.  I will try new desserts, main dishes, side dishes and breads.

This recipe is my maternal Grandmother's.  They always had a HUGE garden and grew so many things including zucchini.  I'm sure she always had an abundance to use.

2 medium zucchinis, grated
1/2 tsp. salt, to pull out the moisture
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 large egg
2 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Grate zucchini and place in a bowl with the salt.  Let sit for 20 minutes to pull the water out.
Place the zucchini on a clean dish cloth and wring out the liquid.
Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Grease a mini muffin tin. (These could also be formed into circles and baked on a cooking sheet)
Bake 20-25 minutes until crispy.

I think I may have made these years ago, or maybe I'm remembering them from my Gram, I'm not sure.  They are delicious and go really well with a big salad and make a nice side for most dinners. I can see me making these quite a bit in the summer when my counter is filled with zucchini to use.  We give them a solid 9.



16 comments:

  1. I miss eating crispy zucchini. Those are begging for ranch dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had zucchini 'fries' the other night that I cooked on Air Fry with ranch. Zucchini and ranch are a great combo.

      Delete
  2. Yum! I'll be making these when I have zucchini in my garden.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound good. I'm wondering if these would freeze well for later use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried yet but I don't see why they wouldn't reheat well.

      Delete
  4. Thanks as always Lori. I might give this a try later today as I'm in the mood for cooking and bought zucchini yesterday (mine are in the garden having swimming lessons)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you still getting a lot of rain? I hope the sun comes out for you soon.

      Delete
    2. Yep we're still getting tons of rain and a village in this region was completely flooded, but thankfully not us. Oh, and I made these zucchini cakes yesterday. So simple and very good!

      Delete
    3. I hope you see sun soon. At least your area wasn't completely flooded. I'm glad you tried them and enjoyed them. It is a very simple recipe which I like.

      Delete
  5. Yum. Thanks. Another recipe to add to the zucchini files! Can't wait till mine come on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've eaten two zucchinis so far. It won't be long and everyone here will be begging for someone to take them.

      Delete
  6. So interesting that it uses breadcrumbs instead of flour. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lori~ The zucchini tots look delicious! I'm always looking for some new ways to use zucchini, although mine are just barely popping out of the ground, I hope they grow - finger's crossed! Thanks for the recipe, and they do sound delicious with a big salad! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are quite a bit south from you so we're enjoying them now. It is always good to have a number of recipes to use up zucchini when they start popping up daily.

      Delete