Pages

Sunday, December 27, 2020

Five days until 2021

It often is the two of us for Christmas Day but the month of December usually involves some get togethers with friends and family, a Christmas party or two and a trip or two to our favorite Mexican place for lunch or dinner.  None of that could happen this year and in my mind I fight feeling sad about what we couldn't do and guilty to be in such a good place when so many are not.  The ramblings in my brain this month have been a bit overboard.  My emotions this month have gone from sad to thankful and back again more times than I can count.  I know that when the clock strikes midnight on December 31st things are not going to magically improve.  I am putting my hope in being able to maneuver 2021 and all of the new "normals" and just keep my sanity while trying to remember to celebrate each and every day.

Christmas Eve we ended up staying home instead of going to look at lights.  It was bitterly cold here and we were quite cozy at home.  I decided to make loaded baked potatoes with pan seared beef sausage and green peppers and onions.  It has been a long time since we have had either and it was very good.  Loaded baked potatoes are going to be on the menu a little more this coming year.

Christmas morning I made bacon and pancakes.  I chopped up some pecans and warmed them in a pan with butter and maple syrup.  They were so good.  For lunch we had ham, party meatballs, scalloped potatoes, bacon and onion green beans and fresh bread.  I also made an appetizer tray of cheeseball, garlic onion dip, veggies, crackers, deviled eggs,  etc.  It was a munching kind of day.  We have so much candy and cookies right now I decided to put off making a cake.  Maybe I will do it for New Years Eve.

Every year I pick up two bags of these local pecans.  They are so delicious. 






Grandmothers Pecan Nut Cups
Dough:
3 ounces of cream cheese or Mascarpone
1 stick of butter softened
1 Cup of flour
Pinch of salt

Filling:
4 ounces of chopped pecans
3/4 Cup of brown sugar
1 Tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg

Mix dough ingredients until dough doesn't stick to the side of bowl.  Refrigerate until chilled.  About an hour.  Meanwhile mix filling ingredients.  Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place in a greased small muffin tin.  Make an indentation in the middle of the dough and fill with filling.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes.  
Hint:  do not put in too much filling.  It will overflow and cause them to stick in the pan.

What are your plans for the New Year?

Stay Safe!

8 comments:

  1. Oh those pecan nut cups bring back some great memories. When my family would visit Texas when my grandmother was alive, we'd come back to California with a huge grocery bag full of pecans from her backyard tree. I might have to try making those nut caps soon.

    I have no plans for going out on NYE. I'm working my normal shift, and I'm likely making takoyaki with teriyaki chicken as the filling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great memory, you should make a batch. We haven't gone out on NYE for years other than maybe dinner so it won't be too different for us. Yum on the dish. Sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds perfect and those pecan nut cups sound so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not much, as it turns out.
    We will probably go to our pub as it is broadway night, and have our revelry at 5PM, then get the heck home to not be out and about and fall asleep at 10AM (as is our wont) watching the ball drop EST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be home as well. I haven't made it to midnight in years.

      Delete
  5. I have a drawer full of candy, just what I do not need. Sounds like you had a lovely holiday although most of us had to rearrange our plans due to the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, SO much candy. Luckily I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

      Delete