Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Cold dark nights call for soup

Every year I try to take the first couple of weeks of the New Year to plan, reflect and relax.  I take advantage of the long dark cold nights to read, watch movies or play in the kitchen.  Once a week every winter I try to make soup because it is what the season calls for.  This week we enjoyed this cabbage soup recipe.  I've made it many times.  You can do it vegetarian or add meat if you want to make it a bit hardier.

Cabbage soup

6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
1 can diced tomatoes
2-3 cup sliced cabbage-I used purple and savoy all are good
1 onion chopped
1 or 2 carrots chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 inch nub of ginger chopped
1/2 tablespoon turmeric
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1 tsp coriander 
1 tsp paprika
1 tablespoon oregano 
salt/pepper to taste
red chili flakes to taste
lemon optional
cilantro optional

Put all of the ingredients into a soup pot except for the lemon and cilantro.
Simmer on low for 2 hours.
Add cilantro and a squeeze of lemon when serving.



This is not a very good picture, but this gives you and idea what it looks like when it begins.  I didn't get a picture of the end result but this is a delicious soup full of healthy ingredients. 

I hope everyone had a good week.  Do you have any favorite soups?





14 comments:

  1. This looks so healthy and delicious, I think I'll put this on my list to make for next week's soup. Is it ok to link to you on my menu plan when I make it? I think my all time favorite soup is Italian wedding soup. I hope you have a nice relaxing Sunday and a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be honored. I too enjoy Italian wedding soup. It is so cold and dreary here, soup is a staple in the winter.

      Delete
  2. I just wrote the title (or words just like it) on WCS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try this and add some sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    I popped over from Kim's and am glad I did!
    I am your newest follower, and am excited to visit often.
    Have a cozy day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, looks so delicious, and a new "newer" cabbage soup recipe for me to try. Thank you for sharing.
    I'm making fifteen bean soup today, soups are the perfect Winter fare, I agree.
    Be well !
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 15 bean soup and haven't made it in awhile. Thanks for the reminder. Stay warm!

      Delete
  6. this weekend I am going to make a soup impromptu - I have carrots and celery and old beans to do something with. Hence, soup = and I may steal this recipe as a 'backbone' upon which to build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I like about soup. You can add or leave out ingredients to make it your own with what you have on hand. Let me know how you like it.

      Delete
  7. I usually don't make soups, but I really liked a recipe I found for an Instant Pot. I haven't made it in about a year now, maybe longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never a soup person until we moved to Illinois. Now when it's cold I find soup so comforting.

      Delete