Pages

Friday, January 29, 2021

Buns

 In my last post I wrote that I was making buns for lamb burgers.  They turned out better than expected. I used a recipe from King Arthur Baking.  

1 Cup water
2 tablespoons room temperature butter
1 egg
3 1/2 Cups AP Flour
1/4 Cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 package of yeast

Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients-by hand, processor  or bread machine-to make a soft, smooth dough. I used the dough hook with my Ninja food processor.
Cover the dough and let it rise for 1-2 hours, or until it has doubled in bulk.
Gently deflate the dough and divide into 8 pieces.  Shape each piece into a round ball, flatten to about 3 inches across.  Place the buns on a lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheet, cover and let rise for about an hour, until noticeably puffy.
Brush the buns with half of the melted butter.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and brush with the remaining butter.
Cool on a rack.

I followed this recipe exactly and they turned out very good.  Nice flavor with a good texture.  The only thing I will do differently next time is instead of brushing with butter I will do an egg wash half way through the bake.  I think that will give them a better shine and hold the sesame seeds on better.  We had them with our lamb burgers and then for sandwiches for lunch one day.  I froze the remaining buns.  I will be making all my buns from now on instead of buying.






11 comments:

  1. Well, they look delicious!
    Thank you for the recipe.
    Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy with how they turned out. I hope you enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  2. I have a Ninja too, thanks for the recipe. I haven't made any of my own breads since my bread maker died, Definitely going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my Ninja. I've been enjoying all of the home made bread.

      Delete
  3. Yum. I have a bosch and I love it. I always look forward to your posts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are better?
    Buns fall into that category of food I have if they are a lot of work AND they don't taste better than bakery-bought than I don't do them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are better than the best bakery bought I have had. It really didn't take much hands on time at all. I'm finding that bread is actually very quick and easy. The rise time is really the only time involved.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love how these turned out. I agree with the egg wash. That should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was a little hesitant about the melted butter but since it was the first try I wanted to follow the recipe exactly. Now that I have I know the egg wash would result in the shine I was looking for.

      Delete
    2. Made them with the egg wash this week and SO much nicer looking. A shine with a gorgeous color.

      Delete