Pages

Friday, January 22, 2021

Random Thoughts

2020 was such a strange year.  In some ways I feel like we were all stuck in March when the Pandemic started here in the US but at the same time it's like the year flew by. We all experienced so many changes.  Some good, some horrible.  I know I stopped doing a lot of things that were 'the norm' for me and I want to be sure and get back some of what I had stopped doing.  I know things aren't going to magically get better so I decided this year to just focus on the little things that I can control. 

 Today is the 22nd day of this new year and so far I have done a mani- pedi each week. I had forgotten how nice it is to have nice looking polished nails.  I have started putting my daily outfit together the night before and included accessories. Firefly Grill is our favorite place to eat.  They are re opening in March and I have made the bold move of actually making a reservation in April for our Anniversary.  I know...living on the edge.  I hope things are at least manageable by then.  We will see.

We have consumed zero store bought bread.  I have made bread from scratch each week, sometimes twice.  I know we're saving money and flour, salt, yeast and water are so much better than store bought loaded with chemicals and questionable ingredients.  This weekend I'm going to attempt hamburger buns.  I'm craving a lamb burger so hopefully they will come out well.  Stay tuned to see how this works out.




My husband doesn't care for steak. (I don't understand it at all)  I on the other hand LOVE it.  For the last few years though I limit my steaks to only 2 or 3 a year.  So I enjoyed steak number 1 Saturday night.  It was a grass fed local sirloin that I seasoned with black pepper and black lava salt and cooked in a cast iron skillet.  It was so good.  




Sunday night I roasted one of our local chickens.  The taste is so amazing compared to grocery store chicken.  We had it roasted one night, I made stock and then a big pot of spicy chicken soup.  



We even had a little snow on Sunday so I was able to let Jet outside to check it out.  He's an inside cat but I do let him have supervised time outside occasionally.  How he sits his behind in that cold snow I do not know.



Now it's Friday.  I'm off work for the weekend.  Tonight I'm going to work on my grocery list and tomorrow we will go get groceries.  I haven't shopped since the day after New Years except for one trip for fresh veggies.  

What has life been like in your neck of the woods?  Are you daring to actually plan anything yet?



10 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this! This whole year is about focusing on getting back to normal for me - at least as much as I can.

    Nothing like a good steak cooked in the cast iron skillet. That's the only way I make them. Go you on baking all your own breads, so much better than store bought.

    I love your little Jet. Being an inside kitty I'm surprised he'll go out in the snow.

    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Even if it's only small things right now, I need some normalcy. Jet LOVES the snow. I hope you have a great weekend as well.

      Delete
  2. We really cannot plan anything until we get vaccines. Now with the new variants coming out we have to be even more careful. I am really tired of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I'm just doing little things. I have to have something to look forward to and bring a little joy.

      Delete
  3. Drat! I am determined to make a proper loaf of bread this year. It eludes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will do it. I love this no knead recipe. It is very good bread.

      Delete
  4. I'm not planning on anything that involves visiting a restaurant or store. I'm resigned to the fact that the virus will continue to make me a "shut in" for most of 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No plans in the future for eating out or get-togethers, husband has compromised breathing issues, so not taking chances. Days float on by, but we are staying healthy, and hopefully the sacrifices will pay off.
    Stay well dear friend.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No plans here either. I did make the reservation for April but that is with a we will see attitude. Stay safe!!

      Delete