Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2021

Flavor

I keep a pretty full pantry with all of the staples we routinely use. I always have a variety of pasta, rice, beans and canned tomatoes.  I have some veggies from the summer in the freezer along with a fully stocked baking cabinet.  I always have done this since that is how I grew up. I don't do a weekly menu plan, I plan the day before unless it is a special occasion  or one of us is craving something specific. First I look at what fresh vegetables we have that need used first, then I pick a protein or not and then I pull from my pantry and then plan what I will cook. It works for me.  

Along with a stocked pantry a large selection of herbs, spices and oils play a huge part in my cooking.  As a matter of fact, I need to hang another spice rack as mine is full and I have spices in a drawer as well.  I just love the fact that you can take a piece of chicken and turn it into countless different dishes just by the way you cook it and the spices or sauces that you use.

There is no way I could pick a favorite meal profile because there are just too many to choose from.  If I had to pick my top used spices I would say cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, turmeric, Mexican and regular oregano, fresh garlic and fresh ginger as some of the ones I use the most. We lean towards Mexican, Thai, Italian, Japanese, Indian and Americanish dishes the most.  









What is your favorite spice?  What type of flavors do you lean towards? I hope everyone has a safe and peaceful week.

11 comments:

  1. I agree with you, it is definitely hard to pick a favorite meal profile. We do a lot of Asian and Italian. My hubby loves Mexican but it's not high on my list. Montreal Steak Seasoning and Italian blends are my most used from my spice rack.

    I do my menu planning by first taking inventory of what needs to be used up and I complete it with either what I have on hand or what is on sale or BOGO at the grocery store.

    Have a beautiful Sunday and a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Italian is big for us as well. Sounds like you also have a good system for using what is on hand. Happy Sunday to you.

      Delete
  2. Hello! Such an informative post this Sunday afternoon! As an Italian, I am partial to all the delicious seasonings that go into a huge pot of sauce. Recently, I have discovered curry, and we are loving it! Have a cozy afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made a big pot of red sauce last night and the smell of the herbs and spices is intoxicating. Have a wonderful Sunday!

      Delete
  3. I'm so much more willing to try new flavors than when I was young. Learning and ecperimenting is fun. I love Tex-Mex and Italian, but Thai and Indian are growing on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a pretty adventurous eater as a child but definitely became more so as an adult. Living in South Florida really expanded my options.

      Delete
  4. I live in the Southwest; my favorite spice are chiles. Habaneros are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grow all kinds of peppers to dry for the winter. Right now I am missing fresh poblanos. They were so good last year.

      Delete
  5. I love so many different ethnic foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have to go with cumin, oregano, parsley, and chili powder. They always seem to be in something I'm cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you except for parsley. I don't know why but it is not a favorite of mine. I accidently bought parsley instead of cilantro a couple weeks ago and I just couldn't make myself use it.

      Delete