Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2021

My Week

Happy Sunday! 

It was technically a short week at work because of the holiday but man did it seem LONG.  It's difficult to see everything that is going on with and in the hospital right now and not feel terrified. The staff shortage is going to get worse this week when the deadline for the vaccine arrives.  Plus the ones that did get a medical waiver are now protesting being tested once a week so we may loose them as well.  We're back to no visitors for the patients which is so sad.  I can't imagine being in the hospital and unable to have someone with me.  Elective surgeries have been postponed because of the bed shortage.  It's just a lot right now to process.

I did reconnect with a very old friend this week.  We've known each other since we were 19 years old.  The last couple of years we didn't talk.  There hadn't been a fight or disagreement or anything.  We just kind of grew apart and the phone calls got fewer and fewer.  It was nice to talk to her.  There is something comforting in having a conversation with someone that has known you for so long.  We both agreed to make more effort to keep in touch. So that is something positive.

Dinners this week...

Ribs, steak, macaroni salad, corn on the cob, deviled eggs
Beef roast potatoes, carrots and asparagus
Chicken legs, macaroni salad and zucchini
Beef sausage, peppers, onions, roasted Japanese sweet potatoes
BLT's and fried asparagus
Red beans and rice with cornbread
Tonight is still TBD

Red Beans and Rice
2 tbs. e v o o
1 onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 pound dry red kidney beans
1 large smoked ham hock
1 tbs. chili powder
1 tbs. thyme
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large deep pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat.  Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.  Add the peppers, celery and garlic and saute 3 more minutes.  Add the beans, hock, chili powder, thyme bay leaves.  Cover with water.  About 8 cups. Bring to a boil and partially cover and cook for 30 minutes.  Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 2 hours. Remove the bay leaves and the ham hock.  Remove any meat on the hock, shred and add back to the pot.  Simmer for 30 more minutes.

Serve over rice with your favorite hot sauce.

You could also do this in a crock pot but I highly recommend cooking the onions, garlic, celery and peppers before putting it all together.  

I hope everyone has a great week.  Stay safe!


Some of my favorite hot sauces.  The one on the left is homemade and WOW what a kick in the mouth.

8 comments:

  1. Oh please, keep us updated... Me certainly!... On the situation. I am really interested in this issue, of Mandated *Jabs*. Especially in the Health Care System.

    I think you have had yours, and we finally had ours. (We are in our 80's of course) So I don't know your attitude on this Mandate.

    Mine is....It should be a personal decision.... These so-called-vaccines are not REAL vaccines, no matter how many *Official Stamps of Approval* are put on them.

    If I was younger and healthy, I would not have them. Preferring to get Natural Immunity, via having IT.

    OK, that's my view.

    Even if you do not agree, will you please keep us up-to-date on your health facility experiences?

    Since this *Jab* is MANDATED now, wondering if _you_ will be MANDATED to NOT report what is happening??????? We are living in a dustopian country, already. With white children being taught to hate themselves and many other absurdities. Why not order employees, not to tell of work happenings????

    Courage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to work, I only write what is public knowledge. It is not only our hospital but almost every hospital in the US that is going through all of these changes right now.
      Yes I have been vaccinated. I work for a health care facility and getting vaccinations to keep patients safe are necessary. It is a choice I have made to stay in my position.
      While in one hand I understand the uproar of mandates I also see that health care systems are in deep, deep trouble with Covid and if a 'jab' will help with that then I am all for it. In Colorado, a man died because the hospital was too full with Covid patients to do the gallbladder surgery he needed. That is unacceptable to me.

      Delete
  2. Here in the Southwest we have no lack of hot sauces, which is good, and some is required on nearly every dish and dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree most things taste better with hot sauce.

      Delete
  3. Please stay safe. My sister has a friend who works at two local hospitals. She told me all of the nurses at both places got COVID, and that's even with being vaccinated. I'm guessing if you work in certain places it's a foregone conclusion you'll get it? It also makes me wonder if a LOT of people who got vaccinated foolishly thought they could go back to their normal lives and not mask up or use hand sanitizer anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am trying. We still have only been grocery shopping and always wear our mask and wash are hands constantly. I knew things were getting "back to normal" too quickly this summer. I'm glad I haven't let my guard down.

      Delete
  4. It is so crazy that this problem is caused by politics and not enough common sense. I don't envy you your job. Thanks for the recipe of red beans and rice I love that dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all crazy. Red beans and rice is a good dish.

      Delete