Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2023

5 Favorite Restaurants

This was a very hard one to pick only 5 favorites for.  I've eaten at a lot of very good places over my lifetime.  What I used as my criteria is quality of food, atmosphere and the people and celebrations I had at these particular restaurants.  

Bob's Big Boy-Decatur Illinois


In the 1970's and early 1980's I spent a lot of Saturdays with my paternal grandmother.  We would do her shopping and any errands that she had to run.  Sometimes we would stop by Flavorkist where she was an Administrative Assistant to the owner and see her friends at work.  The day almost always ended up with us having lunch. My grandmother loved to have lunch out and since I was her eldest granddaughter, I was the chosen one to join her.  I remember Bob's Big Boy was one of her favorites. Thinking about her made me realize today would have been her 97th birthday.  She passed away 7 years ago and I still miss those days so much. 

Elams-Decatur, Illinois



Elams was a locally owned drive-in restaurant that had servers on roller-skates that brought your food out to you on a tray that hung on the car window.  Anyone remember these? This was a spot that my dad would take me to occasionally for lunch.  I LOVED the pork tenderloin sandwich that was as big as my head, onion rings and their famous root beer.  Once I got my driver's license, it was one of my favorite places to go with a few friends.  They closed in 1989 but Del's Popcorn Shop bought their root beer recipe, so it lives on.

Silver Spoon Cafe-Ft. Myers, Florida


Southwest Florida is filled with amazing restaurants that we frequented often but Silver Spoon Cafe was one of our top favorites.  They had amazing salads with the most delicious honey mustard dressing you have ever had.  We convinced them to sell us a pint more than once.  I usually had the jerk chicken, and the big guy loved their fish and their ribs.  It was where we celebrated a lot of Fridays, Birthdays and enjoyed many meals with friends there.  Sadly, it closed around 2004.

9th Street Grill-Mt. Vernon, Illinois


This restaurant opened around the same time we moved here in 2005 and quickly became our new favorite place to go.  The food here was truly amazing.  They made all of their breads and sauces and cooked everything to perfection.  The first thing they brought to the table with your drinks was a loaf of the most delicious poppyseed bread you've ever had.  Their blackened chicken sandwich on homemade chi batá buns was one of my favorites and the sauce they made for the fries is something I've tried to recreate many times.  Delicious pizza, bison burgers and salmon were also delicious choices that we enjoyed.  Sadly, they closed to move to another state in 2012.  We ate there the last night they were open and actually scored an awesome 7-foot-tall industrial bakers rack for 40 bucks, but I'd give it back in a heartbeat to have another meal there.

Firefly Grill-Effingham, Illinois



I've mentioned this one frequently on here. Firefly Grill is our go to spot now for a delicious lunch or dinner.  Sunday brunch is delicious also. This is pretty much where we celebrate all of our special occasions now.  It's a Farm to Table restaurant that does everything from scratch with local ingredients. They also grow a lot of herbs and veggies themselves right next to the restaurant. You can sit inside the gorgeous dining room, out on the patio or inside looking out at their pond that is filled with fish you can feed. Everything we have tried has been superb.  

Do you have any favorites now or from the past that stick out in your mind?  I'd love to hear about them.



16 comments:

  1. These sounds great.. especially with so many memories attached.
    618 in Freehold, NJ is our place for date night.
    Comfi in Old Bridge, NJ was our favorite breakfast place.. we have eaten there on numerous occasions and taken many visitors there as well. Unfortunately, they had to shut their doors a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always sad when a favorite place closes. I looked up 618 and it looks and sounds like a great place to go.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lori~ We used to have a, Big Boy here where I live, but it closed in the 80's. It was a wonderful place to eat, and had the best milkshakes in town. Some of my favorite places to eat are the small, mom and pop places. There is a small little place not far from here called, The Rusty Lantern. It's delicious and has the best homemade soups and breads. Now I'm hungry ;0) Have a great day! Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb- I left Illinois in 1985 and I'm pretty sure ours closed shortly after. Yes, their milkshakes were delicious! Other than Big Boy, the rest are family owned. Family owned places always seem to have better food. Enjoy your Sunday!!

      Delete
  3. Here they were/are (I think there are still one or two around) called Shoney's Big Boy. Same concept and menu.
    One of my favorites is Bern's steakhouse in Tampa.
    My favorite in Birmingham is Highland Bar and Grill which remains closed since the pandemic, but they are supposed to be reopening sometime. I hope so because it was always our celebration spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when we moved to Florida in1985 they had Shoney's and yes, same menu. I had totally forgotten about that.
      I hope your Birmingham restaurant reopens. It's sad how the pandemic and inflation have hurt so many restaurants. We lost our favorite Mexican place due to the stress of it all.

      Delete
  4. I remember the Big Boy restaurants. The one near here had inside eating as well a car hops. Then when I was in high school the mall had one and that was a favorite place to go with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours was inside eating only if I remember correctly. Wasn't it fun going out and hanging out with friends when we were young? That first real taste of freedom. lol

      Delete
  5. In 'N Out Burger, before they expanded beyond the Los Angeles/Orange County area. Back then, their burgers were the best and worth the drive across the county line to their San Clemente location.

    Seau's was a great place for sushi back in the day. It closed soon after Junior Seau's death.

    One place I miss is The Brigantine. When I was younger, it was a great place for fish tacos and mixed drinks. I hear they have several locations in San Diego now.

    I had forgotten about Bob's Big Boy. The one we had closed when I was about twelve years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had 'N Out Burger but I've heard since they've expanded, they aren't the same. That always is sad to hear. It's funny how the places that we enjoyed when we were younger stick in our memories.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea for a post! We had some Bob’s Big Boy’s in the area while growing up. I think the last time I ate at one before they closed was around 1983. I have so many favorite restaurants from the past. I grew up in Akron at the end of the rubber industry era. Most of the great places closed when it became a ‘Rust Belt’ town. A local fave of mine was Yanko’s which had the best creamed chicken over biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bijoux. 1983 is probably right around the last time I ate at Bob's Big Boy too. Decatur was an industrial town back then also. Now, most everything has closed. I love how most everyone has a good memory or two of restaurants from the past.

      Delete
  7. I was my grandmother's only granddaughter and we lunched out a lot too! Big Boy was one of our favorites, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is so cool!! I was the oldest and the other three girls lived in another state so it worked out well for me. I would love to have lunch out with her one more time.

      Delete
  8. I love places like the 9th Street Grill you described. Actually all of these places sound great. There was a restaurant here in Columbia for many years named Harper's. They've closed now but it was always my favorite place to go. Frisch's Big Boy was always great fun -- especially that breakfast buffet! My Audrey's first job was waitressing at a Frisch's -- at least that's what they're called in Ohio. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so cool to find out all the different names for Big Boy in each area. I miss 9th Street Grill so much. When you love a place and their food so much it is sad when they close.

    ReplyDelete