Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind:  Lunch time at work.  Sometimes I have lunch with one of the doctors and occasionally we have lunch as a group but probably 85% of the time I have lunch by myself.  I typically take my lunch because hospital cafeteria food is not good.  Well, ours isn't anyway.  I've gotten in the bad habit of eating at my desk while I check emails or go through paperwork.  This week I put a stop to that and had lunch every day at the conference table and read for 30 minutes.  It was wonderful and I don't know why I haven't been doing this all along.  This is a new habit that will be easy to keep.  

Where I've been:  Well, another fascinating week that took me to work, home and trip for veggies.  I have to say I'm ok with this right now.

Where I'm going:  I took next Friday off, and the big guy and I are going to go out of town to do a bit of food shopping and have lunch.  I think he needs a day out.

What I'm watching:  The weather went from 70 degrees on Wednesday to 27 degrees and snowing on Friday was harsh to say the least.  It looks like another week of rollercoaster weather.  

What I'm reading: From Midnight Chicken.  "The world is so hard, and life is so short you must make things lovely where you can.  You have to make mundane things like packed lunches into something glorious and important and worth having.  You have to make ordinary days' worth having, is the thing-and investing a bit of time in what you eat and where you eat (which is really investing a bit of time in looking after yourself) is one of the easiest ways to do it."  This really spoke to me.

What I'm listening to:  I'm playing music in the evenings, and it really does help destress from the workday.

What I'm eating: 

Spicey chicken and white bean soup with a cheese roll up.
Valentines Day!  I made lamb chops, garlic mashed potatoes and a salad.
Beef sausage and veggie pasta, salad and no knead bread.


Chicken fajita loaded nachos.  YUM!
Pizza and salad
Beef stroganoff with garlic toast.  I cooked the meat in the crockpot all day and the smell was heavenly. 

For lunch last Sunday I made ham, cheese and dill pickle eggrolls.  OMG they were delicious.  Another eggroll creation to add to the list.  We don't usually eat deli meat but when I got off early friday it was cold and all I was craving was a hot sandwich for lunch.  I stopped by Kroger and saw Romanian style Pastrami so I bought half a pound.  A hot pastrami with cheese and dejon mustard made an awesome lunch.



Who needs a good slap:  There are just so many right now.  It's hard to choose just one.

What I'm planning:  No planning right now.  I'm working on my project list for the year.  We ordered a new garage door and opener which should be here in 4 weeks.  I'm glad to check that off.  We weren't having trouble with it yet, but it was installed in 1992 and probably just waiting for the worse time to croak so I wanted this done.

What is making me smile:  We almost always celebrate Valentines Day with a nice dinner at home and a small gift.  This year was chocolates for me and a really sweet card from the big guy.  It was perfect for us.   


I hope everyone is well.  Enjoy your Sunday!!

27 comments:

  1. I took my lunch (and breakfast and drinks) to work 95% of the time (mainly because of the exorbitant prices at work) and I swear that was how I got my mortgage paid off so early - plus I always over-cooked at home anyway! But I made sure to always get out at lunch time for 30 minutes too. You need that break, so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what it costs in our cafeteria, but I wouldn't even eat it if it was free. Yes, that bad. I usually take salads or leftovers from the night before. Getting away from the desk and reading has been so refreshing.

      Delete
  2. I think it is so important to take a real break for lunch away from your desk. I'm with you for Valentine's Day- we do a quiet dinner and watch something on Netflix or Prime together. Then we usually go out for a nice dinner a few days later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten how nice it is to step away. And more time to read is always welcome. I've never been one to want to eat out on Valentines Day. Not exactly sure why.

      Delete
  3. I love to read while eating my breakfast and lunch. I call it Me Time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to always read during lunch but for some reason stopped. Now I'm hooked.

      Delete
  4. That is a really lovely card, the Mr. did good. All your meals sound so yummy. Enjoy your long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He usually picks very fitting cards. Thanks. Hope you have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  5. I used to take my Kindle to work and read on my lunch then when I upgraded to a bigger one it wasn't as convenient to carry so I don't do it any more.
    Your weather sounds like the same as ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to use Kindle but I'm old school and enjoy a real book. I just couldn't get into it. The weather is crazy!

      Delete
  6. When I had to work at the office, I ate at my desk but I made sure I wasn't on the computer. I was often listening to SXM on my phone and checking out Twitter.

    Yeah, that was well before Elon bought it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a large conference room in the office and just moving over to it and away from my desk makes a difference.

      Delete
  7. I used to eat at my desk every day too and I think it made me more exhausted and burnt out at the end of the day! The last year I worked I ate in the break room and then wondered why I didn't do that all along! All your food looks and sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice a big difference in how I feel after lunch so I'm sticking to it. As soon as the weather is nice I'll find a bench outside. Thanks Jeanette.

      Delete
  8. I love the quote about making mundane things lovely! I need to start using the things we have to make life lovelier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quote really hit me. It's like the saying don't save x for something special. Every day should be special.

      Delete
  9. I loved Midnight Chicken but i think The year of miracles is better! Yep fab idea to actually take a break from your desk. we all need that re-set of the brain. wow such changeable weather for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started The Year of Miracles yesterday and I can tell I'm going to love it. The weather is crazy here. Right now it is 65 degrees at 6am and I hear another cold front is coming in taking it back to the 20's in a day or so. It is so humid as soon as I backed out of the garage all of the windows fogged up.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a lovely week. Sometimes a hot grilled sandwich hits the spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty good week. It was cold and windy and the hot grilled sandwich hit the spot for sure.

      Delete
  11. I love your sweet Valentine's celebration. To me, it's all about spending special quality time with your significant other. You don't need a fancy restaurant to do that. Besides, the food usually tastes better at home too. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Valentine's Day is one of the worst days to try and eat out unless you go for lunch. We usually do a Lady and The Tramp spaghetti and meatballs but this year I went with the lamb. Wishing you a great weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We tried to go to a restaurant for Valentines years ago & the lines ran all the way down the sidewalk. Needless to say, we left. Love your food ideas!

      Delete
  13. You're keeping busy. Good for you giving yourself time to read during lunch. We don't normally do anything special for Valentines Day, but did this year. Had fun going out and catching up with 2 friends from our high school days, and I'm still enjoying the pretty yellow roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking 30 minutes away from my desk is really making the work day better. How fun to meet up with friends from high school. Most of us in my high school class have moved all over the world so FB is about as close as we get.

      Delete
  14. No one deserves a slap. Violence is terrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes i think certain people definitely deserve a slap :) e.g. Hitler, Mussolini, Pol Pot... But yes virtual ones have to do these days - kidding!

      Delete