Pages

Sunday, July 2, 2023

In My Kitchen

It really is mind blowing that we are into the sixth month of the year.  As much as I try very hard to slow down, enjoy and celebrate each day, time passes quickly, and June was no different. 

Late spring, early summer is a refreshing time in the kitchen.  While I love fall and winter and all that it includes, after the heavy soups, stews, roasted turkey...I'm ready for lighter food.  Fresh local herbs, veggies and fruits call my name.


If I had to choose one herb that I love the most I think I would have to choose basil.  I grow two or three large pots of it each year to enjoy fresh and to make pesto to store in the freezer for a bit of summer freshness in the winter.


So far strawberry and blueberry season has been amazing here.  The fruits have been so sweet and the growing season a bit longer.  I have been eating both daily, have made strawberry jam, blueberry muffins and stored a bit of both away for later use.  Now the cherries are coming in and equally delicious.  



A friend gifted me 6 cups of blueberries that she picked herself.  To me, food gifts are the best gifts.



Another summer treat is a good BLT.  I'm one of those people that will not buy grocery store tomatoes so this is something that only happens from late June to maybe early October.  We enjoyed the first one with home grown lettuce, farmers market tomatoes and local bacon with Dukes mayo.  After that first bite all I could say was mmmmmm. 



We are pickle lovers in this house and I make a lot of them myself.  I'm always happy to try something new when I find it and these did NOT disappoint.  





 Even though I am known to go out in the cold and or snow and grill, the majority of my grilling is done during the summer.  I love that I can usually cook an entire meal there.  Grilling to me gives an entirely different flavor to meat, fruit and vegetables.  This spatch cocked chicken was so flavorful.  


This is my June entry into Sherry's In My Kitchen.  I hope everyone has a wonderful July!  Sherry, thank you for hosting!!  sherrys pickings  Be sure  to stop buy and take a look at all of the other posters to see what is going on in Kitchens all across the globe.

29 comments:

  1. Summer sure does have some yummy foods. I like the lighter foods of summer as well. Can't wait for that first BLT of summer! Nothing better - well, other than that first ripe tomato.
    B&B pickles a sure fire favorite of mine.
    It all looks and sounds so good.
    Hoping you have a wonderful holiday and week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother always made B&B pickles so they've always been a favorite of mine too. It shouldn't be too long for you and you'll have an abundance of tomatoes. That first BLT of the year is something I always look forward to. Have a great week Cheryl.

      Delete
  2. Oh that chicken looks so good!
    I am looking forward to my first homegrown tomato; it will still be a while before they are ripe, but I'm definitely going to enjoy a BLT. I made some brushetta today out of some of my basil. I'll have to check out that brand of pickles too.
    I think we will grill some burgers tonight and maybe smoke some pork on the 4th. I'm wanting some bbq.
    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, guess I was signed out of google when I posted so I am anonymous.

      Delete
    2. Summer tomatoes make all the heat and humidity worth it don't they? Your menu sounds really good. Happy 4th.

      Delete
  3. I love basil for its versatility. Good in both sweet and savory dishes. I take Middle Child blueberry picking every July/August. There is a huge blueberry ‘farm’ about 45 minutes away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very versatile. That's awesome you have a tradition of going. We're lucky to have a number of farms close by. I knew my friend was going but I didn't know she was picking for me also. It was a nice surprise.

      Delete
  4. I love basil too (but coriander/cilantro comes first), but I can't seem to grow it for love nor money. I have a pot of it dying on my terrace as we speak. I was always impressed with how my sister used to consistently be able to grow it, but when I asked her how she did it she said she bought a new pot every week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I use coriander, cilantro and cumin more than basil. That's funny your sister was buying a new pot. I've always found it easy to grow.

      Delete
  5. Nothing beats a chicken on the BBQ! And I also grow basil as it is great in salads as well as for pesto :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are in the depths of winter here so I have to say all your summer activities are very enticing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall and Winter are my favorite seasons but I do appreciate what Spring and Summer have to offer. Especially food wise.

      Delete
  7. Oh that BLT looks delicious. Then again so does that chicken. Love the name on that jar of pickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann, they were both good. I loved the name too, that was what sold me on trying them.

      Delete
  8. Hello! Yes! I was just thinking the other day how much I enjoy eating with the seasons. I absolutely love fresh tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, and herbs! Basil?? The best. One of my favorite scents in the world is cilantro. Soon my husband will get some garden lettuce and make his mother's creamed lettuce over friend potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo! Yes each season has its bounty. My grandmother used to make wilted lettuce over fried potatoes, but I don't think I've had creamed lettuce. Enjoy the 4th!

      Delete
  9. I don't know where to start except to say that I did not know about Suckerpunch pickles and now I have to try those! We love Wickles but I rarely buy them because they are expensive and so addictive! But you can add a big fresh jalapeño pepper to any jar of pickles and make them! Also that chicken looks so fantastic! I could almost smell and taste it from your picture! Haahaha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Wickles but I can say Suckerpunch is a good brand. Yes, I love adding a jalapeno to give pickles that extra kick. The smell and taste of summer grilling just puts me in a happy place.

      Delete
  10. I can't wait for the day when I can own (and keep) a barbecue grill again. I'm waiting for new fencing so it will stay in my yard.

    I also love how summer heralds the call of lighter cooking as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love grilling. I hope you get the new fencing soon so you can grill.
      Comfort food in the fall/winter is great but I love the fresh, lighter foods of summer even more.

      Delete
  11. Thanks very much Lori for joining in, and for using my logo. As the young ones say - I appreciate you :=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting Sherry. I appreciate you!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful food and gardening pots! Time does go so fast...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to agree with you about food gifts! Very jealous of your basil crop and all those summer berries - so much delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Food gifts are my favorites. We are blessed to live in an area with so much abundance. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. Summer tomatoes and basil are the best. Your pots are flourishing. It will be another month before we get good tomatoes here, I definitely have BLT envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a long growing season here in Southern Illinois and everything usually does very well. I hope you get your BLT soon. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete