Pages

Sunday, August 13, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind:  Apparently too much.  I actually thought about this question for 30 minutes and at least half a dozen things were going through my mind.  Where am I at with purging, sprucing the house?  What needs to be processed from the garden this week?  What needs to be planted next week for the Fall Garden?  The landscaper came by Monday morning to see what we wanted done but we haven't heard from him since. When will we get this done?  All of this along with a few other items will get dumped into my notebook this morning so I can get them out of my head and just focus on checking them off one by one.

Where I've been:  I made a trip to the farmers market and I'm so glad I went.  I usually grow garlic but didn't get any planted last fall.  I was thrilled that he had beautiful garlic, so I came home with a dozen. I will dehydrate 8 today, use 2 over the next week or two and have 2 to plant next month.  We went out for breakfast yesterday and then stopped by the store for a handful of things we needed this week.  Other than that, I don't remember going anywhere except work.  We did spend 2 hours yesterday getting the garage organized and cleaned for the winter.  We're both happy to have that done. 

Where I'm going:  I have two holds at the library that I need to pick up tomorrow.  I'll stop by the farmers market again on Friday.  Not sure yet what else we'll do.

What I'm watching:  I caught up on BBQ Brawl and BBQ USA.  Both are entertaining and a bit informative.  It's something I can watch while I cook dinner or prep food in the evenings.  

What I'm reading:  I'm about to finish the book from Aaron Sanchez and I've enjoyed it.  I have two to pick up tomorrow that I'll start this week.

What I'm eating:
I made a sauce with bison, green peppers, onion and garlic and added a number of spices to have with Bucatini pasta with a small salad.  It was light and fresh.
I took the leftover Mexican beef from Sunday and added rice, veggies and cheese for burritos with sourcream and taco sauce.  Delicious!
BBQ chicken, potato salad and sliced tomatoes and basil
Cheeseburgers and oven 'fries'
BIG salad
BLT and chips with onion, dill dip

Who needs a good slap:  Sex traffickers.  Apparently, this has been a pretty big issue in this area for years. I posted before about the local woman that wrote about her experiences in her book Open Blind Eyes.  But I've read about many, many other recent similar cases and it's sickening and infuriating.  

What's making me smile:  I saw a facebook post this morning in one of the local groups and a woman was thanking the Good Samaritan that helped her daughter at Subway.  Apparently, her 16-year-old daughter was in line getting her sandwich made and a man was relentlessly coming on to her.  A woman saw what was going on and approached the girl and acted like they were old friends which caused the man to leave.  It always makes me smile to know that there are people out there looking out for others.  You don't always hear about the positive, loving human interactions.

It looks like we're going to have a few storms today, some possibly severe.  It's been cooler here a bit but that is supposed to change again this week.  August and September here are always so unpredictable.  I hope everyone has a wonderful week.  Enjoy your Sunday!!

27 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great week. I hope this next one is a good one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew garlic the last two years and didn't this year either. I love drying it out to make garlic powder or flakes. So fun. Glad you got yourself some good garlic.

    Might get an other storm here, not sure. Outside now, no upside down leaves on the trees yet. When that happens, rain follows. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I found the garlic. It is the hard neck verity, and I will be planting some this fall. I have the dehydrator filled with it now and it smells so good. It's getting cloudy out now so we'll see what happens here.

      Delete
    2. We ended up with a few dark clouds and no upside down leaves. Just took the pup for her walk and no rain. Have a great week, Lori. Love the smell of garlic too!

      Delete
  3. Well, you have an occupied mind at the moment! I agree with who needs a slap! We went to the show (a rarity for us) and saw The Sound of Freedom and I left feeling sad and disgusted and angry! I love that story from Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning my mind was all over the place. I'm a bit better now. lol Honestly, trafficking is something I didn't really hear about a lot until we moved here. I've heard too many stories about local younger women being followed in a store and feeling uncomfortable enough to have a store employee walk them out only to see a van drive off quickly. Sad and disgusted and angry sums up how I feel too.

      Delete
  4. I agree on the slapping issue.
    Your meals sound wonderful as usual. It sounds like a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl. It is something that I can't even been to wrap my head around and it seems to happen a lot in our area.

      Delete
  5. We haven't been by our farmers market in weeks.
    Good to hear the Subway story.. and enraged about the sex trafficking story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily our farmers market is close by so I try to stop once a week this time of year. While it was sad that the teenager encountered this, I hope she recognizes that as a woman we have to look out for each other.

      Delete
  6. That’s a nice story about the girl at Subway. My menu this week includes beef gyros (using our garden tomatoes and cucumbers), turkey cauliflower meatloaves with zucchini fries, and bbq chicken quiona casserole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always makes me smile when I hear someone went out of their way to look out for someone else. Wow, your menu sounds delicious! I love summer fresh meals.

      Delete
  7. Lovely storms! You remind me I promised myself to make good on my efforts to go the the local library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily just thunder and rain. Yes, support your local library!

      Delete
  8. Well done to that woman for looking out for the young girl. It's awful as a young girl to be harassed like that and not be able to make them leave you alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awful and I was so happy to hear that a woman recognized the situation and stepped in to help. I'm sure it taught the teen age girl a valuable lesson and maybe she'll do the same for someone sometime.

      Delete
  9. Yes, those people do need a good slap. The thing that occurred to me though is you read about good Samaritans helping out in cases like that. But what if it turns out these sex traffickers figure out that would be a good way to lure a person in by pretending to help the innocent victim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good point Ann. I have heard about some using women to lure people in. It's a tricky situation.

      Delete
  10. It's so hot here, you wouldn't believe! We are enjoying the pool. I got up at 6:30 today to take my half-hour walk because I have been neglecting it due to the heat, and I just had to face that sunup is the only time to walk down the street until things cool off a great deal!!! Haahahaa you have no idea how much I hate getting up early but it was great. Have a great week, Lori! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is dedication to get up early to walk. Good for you. Fall will be here soon my friend, hang in there and try to stay cool. Wishing you a great week also!!

      Delete
  11. Good idea to write everything down that's on your mind. Of course I don't so I keep juggling it. You reminded me I have a library return due today. That was a clever way to help that young girl- but then I just read Ann's comment and she has a good point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that writing everything down in my notebook takes some of the pressure off my brain. Yes, Ann's comment caused me to pause also. The woman went up to her and talked to her and caused the man to leave and didn't ask the girl to walk out with her but girls do also need to be aware that leaving with even another woman that you don't know is not safe.

      Delete
  12. Your meals all sound absolutely delicious as always! I love the good samaritan story. Those evil people need more than a few good slaps. Wishing you & the big guy a wonderful week! And a hug to Binx :) I actually miss hearing about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. Binx is a character as always.

      Delete