Pages

Sunday, August 27, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind:  I had a three-day weekend and have loved every minute of it.  That one extra day gave me the time to knock a few things off the to do list.  I miss working 186 days a year instead of this 5-day, 40-hour week, but I do acknowledge I am actually a bit lucky.  I earn a lot of PTO and make decent money without putting in the 50 or more hours some have to do.  I read an article that said this work model was created when it was expected that one person would be at home to run the household, take care of the children, etc. and that this model is outdated.  I couldn't agree more and feel really bad for younger people doing this while raising children.  

Where I've been:  Library, farmers market, hair salon and dinner at Joes.  Other than that, I was thrilled to be home.

What I'm watching: I came across a series called True South hosted by John T. Edge and produced by Wright Thompson and loved it.  One episode was on Columbus Georgia where my in laws lived and it was fascinating.  It really makes you realize how much power food has to bring people together.  If you can find this series, I highly recommend it. 

What I'm reading:  I finished Love and Saffron and enjoyed it. It was a story about 2 women in the 1960's, one in her 30's and one in her 60's, that started writing letters to each other and ended up forming a very close friendship.  Now I started A Summer of Firsts another book by Susan Wiggs.

What I'm eating: 
Chicken fajita, rice and cheese burritos
Baked potato, loaded with butter, sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions.  It has been a long time since we've made these and it was delicious.
Sloppy Joes and oven fries
Dinner at Joe's
Lamb burger and zucchini fries
BIG salad

I saw this and it is a good reminder to eat the rainbow.




Who needs a good slap: Wordpress!!  I have two blogs that I have been reading for years and I cannot comment now.  It comes up "error: Your Facebook password has expired." Even though I knew the passwords on FB do not expire I changed it hoping that would work.  Nope.  Then I tried to create an account with Wordpress so I could post.  I can't log in under Wordpress because when I enter my email address it says I have an account and to enter password.  When I click change password it comes up that I do not have an account.  I give them 5 slaps.  This is ridiculous.  

What I'm planning:  As soon as I post this I am going to go pick basil and make a batch of pesto for the freezer.  I also want to dehydrate a batch of thyme.  My dehydrator has been working really hard lately.  I have done rosemary, garlic, portabella mushrooms, thai basil and I don't remember what else.  

What is making me smile: Next weekend is Labor Day weekend so I have another 3-day weekend to look forward to.

It finally cooled off here after a week of record breaking temps.  I hope everyone is doing well and has a wonderful week.

29 comments:

  1. I had problems similar to what you describe in your Wordpress slap. It seems that over time, they tend to self-correct, but it's always a frustrating process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear it isn't just me. It is frustrating.

      Delete
  2. I concur about the WP slap as well. There's one blog where it asks me to log in, but when I ignore it and post a comment it suddenly remembers me.

    The younguns really have it rough out there. Now they rent a single room for the price I paid for a two-bedroom apartment when I was their age. When they're done with their job at the end of their shift, they often head to the next one. It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, WP is ticking me off. I've been reading but can't comment. I'll keep trying to figure it out. Things are so hard for so many people right now and it's only going to get worse. I know some are working 2 or more jobs that's why I felt a bit bad complaining because I do know I have it good. The world is a mess and I have no idea what anyone can do to fix it.

      Delete
  3. Your meals sound delightful. I agree - sounds like the slaps would be in order. Good grief - what a mess.
    I hadn't even thought about next weekend being Labor Day - time is flying.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I planned the two 3-day weekends back-to-back. lol Time is flying even though I try to be present and in the moment. Wishing you a great week!

      Delete
  4. Baked potatoes! When did I last have one? They got such as bad press it seems no one serves them anymore at restaurants. I would eat mine skins at and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have them often but it was a nice meal. We also eat skins and all.

      Delete
  5. It is so frustrating to not be able to log in and comment. Whenever I’ve had up issues, it either resolves itself within a week, or it’s a privacy (pop up blocker) issue with my iPad after a security update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I'm not alone. I hope it clears itself up soon.

      Delete
  6. I agree with you that the 40-hour working week is hard and probably outdated. I did that (plus a 3-hour commute) while raising kids and hated that I never had time for my kids. I knew that if we were careful we could probably make it on just my salary (I had all the expat benefits) and have my husband stay at home but in the end decided against it as I knew he wouldn't pull his weight as a stay-at-home dad - turned out to be true! My son now works full-time and my DIL part-time and it works wonderfully for them. Money is important but it sure as heck isn't everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel for the people that have to work so much and have children at home. I'm sure they feel they are constantly being pulled in one direction or the other. I'm sure it's especially difficult now with everything being so expensive. Glad you son and DIL have found a way that works for them.

      Delete
  7. I totally agree. A 5 day 40 hour week does suck. Retirement is looking better and better all the time. I really do want to hold off as long as I can though.
    I had a problem with Wordpress blogs as well. Very annoying and frustrating.
    No 3 day weekend for me for Labor Day. I get the day off because it's my regular day but with new boss I don't even get an extra day off during the week. Now I just work my regular schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to continue to work for quite a while too. I think my plan is to find something part time down the road because I don't think I'd enjoy being fully retired. Sorry you don't get a 3 day weekend for the holiday or even an extra day off for working Monday. That stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I worked full time they always talked about changing to a 4 day work week. The problem was it was 4 10-hour days! I barely got through the 8 hour day without being exhausted! I'm glad they never changed it! That loaded baked potato sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did 4 10 hour days years. It wasn't too bad because I had Wednesdays and Saturday, Sunday off so never worked more than two days in a row. I don't think I could do the 10 hour days now though. The potato was good and we'll be doing that for dinner a little more often.

      Delete
  10. Hello, my friend. I loved your menu and am suddenly very hungry for sloppy joes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo. The sloppy joes were a nice change.

      Delete
  11. I'll be looking for your recommendation for True South ( I'm assuming Netflix) I've been having difficulty with commenting on some blogs too. Very frustrating. The work week is crazy- there are many parents who hardly get to see their kids during the week especially if they have a commute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught it on a regular channel that was replaying the series Saturday. I goggled it and there are more new episodes that I didn't see. You can watch it on line as well. I do feel bad for parents because work/life balance is hard sometimes.

      Delete
  12. I love a good 3-day weekend. Cheers to you for enjoying it!! A couple of good book recommendations to add to my list. Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am always thrilled to be at home too, Lori! I am so glad you are enjoying your late-summer time and it looks like you do a great job of balancing leisure activities with productivity. I will definitely look up True South and see if I can watch it. Sounds fascinating. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home is definitely where my heart is Jenny. It was such a good series. I really enjoyed it. If you google it, you can watch on line. I try to have balance but I do enjoy my leisure time a bit too much sometimes. lol

      Delete
  14. The nature of my work doesn't fit the 9-to-5 model. As a result, I rarely do the kinds of things that other people do, at the same time that they do them. For instance, you'll rarely ever find me at the grocery store between 5 and 8 PM, or on weekends. On the occasion when for some reason I do have to shop on a Saturday late morning, or a Sunday afternoon, I feel so sorry for the people who's main experience is like that! Crowded, hectic, unpleasant. Yipes! I'm very lucky indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not in the 9-5 model either. I work 5:30-2 Mon-Friday so I have late afternoons to shop. I despise shopping on the weekends unless it is very early in the morning.

      Delete
  15. I never minded working 12-16 hour workdays, but I never worked weekends. I like to have my weekends to enjoy some R&R. I feel the same as you about weekend shopping. I prefer shopping during the week when the stores are empty. I hope you have a wonderful long weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you do as well. I haven't worked weekends since I was in my late teens. I need mine for R&R as well.

      Delete
  16. I’m very amused by that list of “benefits” you get while eating each color of food — so bogus! Do they really expect you to believe that white bread strengthens the immune system? Purple grapes help the nervous system? I’d love to see that research.

    Your work days sound pretty strenuous.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete