Pages

Tuesday, November 7, 2023

My Week and a Gingersnap Recipe

What's top of my mind:  The big guy.  The last few weeks, off and on, he's been a little short of breath and just didn't feel right.  He recently had his yearly blood work and physical and all was perfect. Saturday, he complained he had an upset stomach.  Nothing serious but felt nauseous.  Well, Sunday morning he woke up and was having a hard time breathing so we made a trip to the ER.  They immediately took him back and started on a series of tests.  His chest x-ray was good, heart good, blood work good but positive for Covid. He was given Paxlovid and an inhaler and has been home since.  Thankfully each day he seems to be a bit better.  If it was a true positive the only symptoms, he experienced were shortness of breath, slight fatigue and upset stomach.  I have had no symptoms but stayed home yesterday and today just to be safe and to reset my nerves after a scary Sunday. 

What I'm watching:  I haven't gotten into Christmas movies just yet but did watch Home for the Holidays which is always a fun movie.  We also caught up on the new season of Great British Bake Off. 

What I'm reading:  I finished A Cup of Silver Linings and The Secret Recipe of Ella Dove.  The Book Charmer is the first book of the series.  I have loved all three!!  It's a bit of a mix between Gilmore Girls and Practical Magic.  Yesterday I started reading Livingood Daily.  I'm about a third of the way through.  I am already familiar with a number of things he's written but a reminder is always good and I am a bit shocked by the statistics. 

What's new:  One of the doc's I work with goes to Poland every few months and usually brings me back really fun stuff.  She knocked it out of the park on this last trip.  I feel spoiled.  First is a soft, gorgeous black cat scarf.  It's a bit darker than it appears in this photo.


She also included a few kitchen towels.  These are large and I have to say that all of the fabrics that I've received from Poland are excellent quality.


And last but not least, is a beautifully painted wooden box and a small cross.  I didn't get a photo of them but trust me they are so pretty.  

What I'm eating:
BIG salad and a cheese roll up
Italian Chicken sausage, basil, cherry tomato pasta and garlic bread


Beef chili with jalapeno poppers
Chicken, mashed potatoes and salad
Lamb burger with zucchini fries.  The farmers market closed on Friday so this was the last zucchini.

Last week I also made a batch of Gingersnap Cookies which are a favorite here.

3/4 cup of butter, room temperature
1 cup of sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking soda

Cream the butter and sugar.
Add egg, salt and molasses and combine.
Slowly mix in cloves, ginger, cinnamon, flour and baking soda.

Shape into walnut sized balls and roll each in granulated sugar.

Place on baking sheet, greased or parchment paper and bake at 375F for 7-8 minutes.  

Let cool on the cookie sheet for a minute or two before cooling on rack. 




Such a good Fall cookie with tea or hot cocoa. 

What is making me smile:  Day to day life may not look like we have a large/strong support system but when something happens, we have a lot of people that are willing to help and be there.  That makes me smile!!

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe!  

22 comments:

  1. Glad your hubs got checked out. Hope he is on the mend.
    What lovely gifts!!!! Love the scarf. Thanks for the recipe - I am a huge gingersnap fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl. I'm hoping each day gets better. The scarf is so cute and super soft. I can't wait to wear it this winter. Gingersnaps just scream fall to me.

      Delete
  2. I’m so glad your husband is doing better. Those symptoms were alarming and I would not have thought of Covid. Are your gingersnaps soft or hard?I like both, but soft ones are my favorite. There is a Polish pottery shop where my oldest daughter lives and the pieces are magnificent. Pricey, but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bijoux! They did RSV, Flu and Covid tests and we were shocked when the doctor said Covid positive. This recipe is a mix of the two. Not too hard but not too soft either. I'm sure when items are shipped here from Poland the price goes up a lot. Everything I've received has been amazing quality.

      Delete
  3. How scary, I was almost afraid to keep reading, just too many triggers. At least he just has a mild case. I love ginger snaps

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it was a bit scary. I'm glad you're doing well. Ginger snaps are SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I bet that was scary! I'm glad he was able to get Paxlovid and is getting better. Weird all the different symptoms of covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. The Paxlovid seemed to make a difference after the second dose. It is odd how the symptoms vary between people.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear what happened, and I'm glad TBG is feeling better. That has to be scary.

    I also miss cinnamon and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sitting in the kitchen reading your latest post when he came out of his office and I could tell something was wrong. My mom used to make me cinnamon sugar toast when I was sick.

      Delete
  7. So sorry about the ER visit. I hope your husband continues to improve rapidly.
    I love gingersnaps too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear your husband found out what was going on. Hope he's feeling better every day.
    What nice gifts you got.
    I love gingersnaps. I had a recipe a long time ago for ginger softies. They were so good but I was the only one who seemed to like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. He seemed to be a bit better this morning. Yesterday he couldn't even complete a whole sentence without getting short of breath but two doses of the meds seemed to help. I just hope he continues to improve. This recipe is kind of in between. Not super soft but not super hard either. We enjoy them.

      Delete
  9. Oh my word Lori, I love gingersnaps! I could eat a whole bag. I have never made them. Sorry TBG was under the weather and I hope by now he's feeling one hundred percent again. What nice gifts your employer brought for you! How kind. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are very easy to make and delicious. They are one of my favorite. He's still pretty short of breath but he says each day has gotten better so that is a plus. She really does know me well and always picks out something wonderful. Take care my friend.

      Delete
  10. That was a really scary experience with your husband. Hopefully he will have a full recovery soon... I'm ready for gingersnaps- I look forward to them this type of the year! My friends just came back from a tour in Poland and said it was a wonderful country and they would like to go back again. Cute gifts she brought you! enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judee. It was scary and yes, hopefully he will be better soon. We love gingersnaps this time of year as well. They are a fall treat. She always brings me the cutest gifts from Poland and their quality is good. Have a good week.

      Delete
  11. Poor fellow. Nothing like a sick man in the house. Next time try hot toddies

    ReplyDelete
  12. those tea towels are so cute. Hope your hubby is feeling much better! Covid is on the rise here and they expect a surge at Christmas. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cute, I love them. Thank you. Stay safe.

      Delete