Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2023

My Weekly W's 12.31.23


We have had very little snow so far so this a picture from our front window 10 years ago on Christmas.

What's top of my mind:  After having the last eight days off with two more to go I realize just how stressful my job actually is. I have gone to bed every night around 8:30 pm and have slept soundly with no bad dreams until 6:30 am.  That shows me how very tired I have been and how knowing I have to get up and go to work the next day affects my sleep quality.  This has been a huge eye opener.  I am going to think of ways to either lower the stress or find something less stressful.  I asked if there was a plan to replace the Medical Director that left in November and the response was "No, what is the issue?"  Nice huh?  So, I am responsible for 16 physicians and 6 nurse practitioners in a 24-hour, 365 day a year program.  It is too much for one person.  

Where I've been: HOME.  My favorite place in the world.  It has been so nice and relaxing and fun spending the days with TBG and Binx.  We did go out on the 27th for lunch at Joes and then stopped at our favorite furniture store.  We've been wanting to update our console in the living room and we found the perfect one.  It was delivered yesterday, and we LOVE it. 

Where I'm going: TBG wants to go out for breakfast tomorrow.  Other than that, no plans on going anywhere.  Tuesday I have to go back to work.  No other plans so far for the coming week.  This is hibernation season and I plan to take full advantage of that.

What I'm watching:  We watched a few more Christmas movies this week.  Other than that nothing exciting.  

What I'm reading:  I flipped through a number of cookbooks this week if that counts.

What I'm eating:

Lamb chops, garlic and rosemary potatoes, brussel sprouts
Roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and salad
Chicken noodle soup.  I used the Amish egg noodles and this soup was delicious!!
Chicken Tikka Masala, rice and naan
Lamb burgers and sweet potato 'fries'
LO beef chili and cornbread.
Tonight I'm making stuffed shells, salad and no knead bread

FYI...left over Naan makes a delicious pizza




What I'm planning:  I have my new journal set up and ready for 2024.  I don't make resolutions, but I do set goals and intentions.  One of my goals is to blog more.  I want to go back to doing more 5 Favorites posts and I'm planning on making one new recipe every Saturday.  52 new to me meals or sides or desserts or breads.  I'm excited about that one.  

What's making me smile:  All of the blog friends I've made over the last few years.  I received so many nice texts, emails and cards for the Christmas holiday.  We may not 'know' each other IRL but we do have a real connection regardless.  Thank you all for being here.  I appreciate all of you.

I hope everyone enjoys the last day of this year.  May 2024 be a healthy, happy New Year for all of us.



26 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have enjoyed your time off. Yes mam, that is way too much for one person. They need to hire someone else or you need to find something else or sort of retire!
    Your meals sound delightful. I like your goals - very ambitious and fun!
    Thank you for the prayer. Take care and be safe. Enjoy your last couple days off. Have a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl.
      The time off has been wonderful and an eye opener for me. Happy New Year to you and may this be a peaceful, happy healthy year for you.

      Delete
  2. I hope you are able to make your job less stressful or find something else. I so remember the days when my sleep was affected by my job and it's not fun! Happy New Year to you and TBG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to figure out something. I didn't realize how badly my sleep was affected until not having to work for an extended period. I hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year too.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year my darling friend! May 2024 be marvelous for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're enjoying your time off, and I approve of finding a way to either lessen your stress or find something else less stressful. Take it from me. Dying for dollars is not a rewarding experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend!! "Dying for dollars" really sums it up doesn't it? I was able manage work/life balance until the Medical Director left. I can't do this without one.

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to hear how your new recipes work out!! And good for your realizing what a toll your job is taking on you and seeing that things have to change. I don't know how close you are to being able to retire but if not, looking for something less stressful has got to be the way to go!! All the best to you and the Big Guy for 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Treaders. I'm excited about the recipes. I have a small folder with ones that I've been wanting to try for a while and it is time. The hospital I work for has contracted out almost every single other department. I'm thinking they may want to contract ours out too. That actually may be better for me. Time will tell.

      Delete
  6. Glad you enjoyed your time off. Whenever I get more than my usual one day off at a time, I feel like I'm in heaven.
    Enjoy the rest of your time off and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the time off SO much. Getting up at 5 am tomorrow may be a challenge. lol
      Happy New Year to you as well my friend!! May 2024 be a wonderful year.

      Delete
  7. I'm off for four days, this is day three and it's wonderful to have this time home and also hit Barnes. Just today, to get up and take both trees down (was ready last weekend only didn't get the time). And what I've noticed working outside of the home is I don't always make good food choices. I don't eat out much anymore however food and meals need improved. It's funny how working outside changes what happens inside. Have you tried yoga? I really love it. And walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes working outside of the house does change a lot of things if we aren't careful. I do pretty well with the eating part, it's just become very stressful and unmanageable. I do yoga and meditation and I think that is the only reason I haven't totally lost it yet. lol

      Delete
  8. your job sounds incredibly stressful. i hope there is some resolution for you. wishing you all the best for 2024! last year was a doozy! and it was lovely to 'meet' you this past year or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry. I'm going to see what I can try to reduce the stress. Last year was a doozy for us also and I really hope 2024 is better for everyone. I've enjoyed getting to know you as well.

      Delete
  9. Hope you find a way to reduce the stress at work.
    52 new recipes sounds like a fun idea.. looking forward to what new ones you try. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! I thought a new recipe a week would be a fun challenge for me. Happy New Year to you as well.

      Delete
  10. Hi Lori, I've been there done the stressful job too feeling exhausted, and realizing if it's all worth it, or not. A lot to be said for work life balance. Wishing you a much less exhausting year and to many new wonderful memories.

    Happy New Year!

    Velva

    P.S. This is my first time to your blog. I hopped over from Judee's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Work life balance is so important. Making memories is my favorite thing to do. Happy New Year to you and thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Lori, that is a shame about your job! I've known friends in similar situations and they finally leave only to be replaced by two new employees bc one is not enough for the job. So sad that they don't realize they are overworking a very dedicated employee. Hope you can find ways to reduce the stress. Glad you are enjoying your time off and of course wishing you a very happy healthy and blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judee. I've seen it many times here where the employee has a number of years with the company and is making a decent salary and they feel they can hire two new people for the price of the one employee. They do not care about loyalty or even experience. I've been here 16 years so I guess I'm now in that category. It's sad but it's a fact of life now. Wishing you a happy, healthy NY also!!












      Delete
  12. Hi Lori. I just want to let you know that your kind comments on my blog over the last several months have really warmed my heart. I’m so glad to have found you and your blog. I hope your new year is less stressful and that you and your husband have a year filled with love and joy. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bijoux. I've really enjoyed getting to know you. We both grew up in the same time so there is that in common along with the mom thing. I hope you're feeling better and that you and your family have a happy, healthy, less stressful year also!! Big hugs!!

      Delete
  13. As smart and experienced and resourceful as you are, Lori, I know you could find something else to do that was rewarding but much less stressful. Maybe even working from home! If that would appeal to you. Home is my favorite place in the whole world to be too. Can't wait to read all of your recipes! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that confidence boost Jenny. I've been at this hospital for almost 17 years and I really can't believe how much it's changed. It's sad.

      Delete