Pages

Sunday, December 10, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind:  My brother.  I have only one brother and we were always very close.  Four or five years ago there were a series of issues with his very difficult wife that changed him a lot and we didn't see each other or talk much.  Monday, he reached out to me on a FB message asking if I had changed my number because he had text me and called me and it didn't ring or go to voice mail.  I told him that I had gotten a new phone in 2020 and wasn't able to keep the same number and gave him the number.  He called yesterday and we talked for almost four hours.  I was amazed that after a number of years he sounded like the person I've always known. To say this made me so happy is an understatement.  The wife is gone, he's back to his old self and happy again and I feel like I was given a Christmas miracle.  

Where I've been:  I had dinner out with two of my friends this week.  It's always so much fun to meet them every month and catch up on life.  

Where I'm going:  No plans as of right now.  We are wanting to go through the lights at Cedarhurst again and may do that this coming weekend.

What I'm watching:  Christmas movies of course.  I watched Love Actually, The Holiday, Feast of the Seven Fishes and Merry Swissmas.  

What I'm reading:  I started The City Baker's Guide to Country Living by Louise Miller.  I've heard good reviews on this book so I'm looking forward to it.  I hit 25 books read this year, not including various cookbooks I've read.  I used to read so much more but I'm pretty happy with that numberr.

What I'm eating:

I made a loaf of bread Monday night and it was delicious. Winter is the best time of year for break baking.


Roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and a small salad
Lamb burgers and fries
Dinner out at Agave.  I had the chicken fajita nachos, and it was delicious.
BIG salad
Pizza and salad
Meatloaf, roasted garlic and rosemary potatoes and salad.
I'm not sure yet what we're having tonight but I will say I'm craving mac and cheese so there's that.

Who needs a good slap:  Dominos.  Our water heater died Friday afternoon and I didn't want to cook and dirty up the kitchen with no water so I ordered a pizza. We're constantly getting pizza's from there delivered here that should have gone to the nursing home down the street.  Well they delivered my pizza to the nursing home.  They had to call me to come and get it so of course it was a little cold by then.  I called the manager and told him what happened.  He told me that I need to specify that this is not the nursing home when I order.  I told him that I shouldn't have to do that because the delivery driver should be able to tell the difference between 1004 and 1001.  Our address is clearly visible.  I also told him that this is the reason I always tip once the food is delivered and she missed out on a really good tip.  We did get a credit for another pizza but I'm tired of no one wanting to take personal responsibility for anything.  Two slaps to them.

Who deserves a high five:  Our water heater started leaking Friday afternoon around 1.  TBG called the repair company we always use and he was here within an hour.  He said it needed to be replaced and came Saturday morning at 9 to replace it.  BIG kudos for a company that did a wonderful job in a timely manner.  That is rare these days.

What I'm planning:  Today I need to change the sheets, pay the bills and then get my Christmas cards done.  I'm also still planning meals and snacks for the Holiday.

What is making me smile:  TBG had a really good week.  His shortness of breath is better and he's feeling much more energetic.  That really brings me a smile.

Stay safe everyone.  I hope you're finding some joy during this wonderful season.


28 comments:

  1. Domino's still delivers in your area? The one that opened up the street from me last year is carryout only.

    Glad to hear about TBG and your brother. I hope next week goes well, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does still deliver here. This one is about a mile or two from our house and I usually pick them up but it was cold and rainy so I did delivery. Still had to go out and pick it up though. Wishing you a wonderful week as well.

      Delete
  2. Glad your brother is back. So weird that he let a toxic person change him. Glad he's back to himself. That's the best way to be, ourselves.

    They're not allowed to give that pizza to another customer after it's been dropped to the wrong address. That's against code and shame on them. Also, I agree. The driver needs to pay attention. Those are two different addresses.

    Clean sheet day here today too.

    Glad his energy is returning. Here's to more good weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear from him again. I think he wanted to make his marriage work and I can't fault him for that. He's one of the good ones. It wasn't Dominos that called us about the pizza it was the nursing home. Yes, people need to do better at their jobs. Enjoy your week!!

      Delete
  3. I’m glad TBG is doing better. Yes, companies no longer take responsibility for anything. Blame it on the customer!

    That’s amazing about your brother! I take it they divorced? I hope he at least took some responsibility for the rift between you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bijoux. Customer service is horrible yet everyone wants a tip. Yes they divorced. There really wasn't a rift but more that I backed away so he could deal with her. She was a real piece of work.

      Delete
  4. That's great news about your brother. I wish mine was still around.
    Customer service just isn't what it used to be. I'm glad that they at least gave you a credit but how hard is it to make sure you've got the right address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. Everyone seems to want a tip today but no one wants to do the right thing to earn it. Our house number is clearly visible so no excuse there.

      Delete
  5. First, how perfectly wonderful that you have reconnected with your brother, and that he sounds as though he's doing well. That is truly a blessing. AND I'm so happy that TBG is feeling better. UGH Domino's ... I am rather down on them anyway right now because we have a brand new one less than five miles from our house and while I cannot remember the last time I had a Domino's pizza, the kids ordered from there on the night before Thanksgiving since that meal was their responsibility. The REASON they ordered from there is that within the past three months, our beloved Hungry Howie's -- much closer to our house than the Domino's -- closed down for good. We were devastated because that was a delicious pizza and I had our order down pat! BUT the reason I'm telling you this is that the Domino's pizza was just not good. It was practically tasteless. Everyone agreed that it had literally nothing to distinguish it as a pizza you'd want to order again. There's a Pizza Hut not too far away so next time, we'll likely try that. First world problems! But when you want pizza, you want pizza! And you want it to be hot and fresh and good and made to order! Speaking of which, a few weekends ago we all went to Mellow Mushroom for pizza. TG and I did a build-your-own and one of the ingredients we ordered was pepperoni (to me, if there's no pepperoni, it's not pizza and I will not eat it). Well guess what? THERE WAS NO PEPPERONI. Yes! they completely left the pepperoni off our pizza! When I called this to the server's attention, he just said sorry. We'll take that ingredient off your bill ... ????? I should have insisted that they make what I ordered and bring it to us, but we were so hungry! But I mean, you have that ONE job! And the restaurant had maybe three tables occupied! It's not like they were overwhelmed with orders! But there is NO excuse for delivering your pizza to the facility down the street. Just none whatsoever. Talk about a buzzkill! Booo Hiss. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny. He's gone through a lot with her over the years and I'm glad he seems to have finally gotten himself together and that she is gone. Our Dominos isn't my favorite but it usually is pretty good. The delivery issue was unacceptable though. The manager acted as if it was my fault for not commenting 'not the nursing home.' Isn't it sad when a favorite place closes? We used to have a Pizza Pro and it was absolutely amazing. I don't order pizza very often as I usually make my own but sometimes a pizza delivery is needed. NO PEPPERONI??? That is just wrong. I can't believe all he said was 'sorry'. I hope you have a wonderful week Jenny!!

      Delete
  6. Good for you and the brother!
    I will take up your recommendation and make some bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Winter time is the best time to make bread.

      Delete
  7. I'm so happy for you and your brother that you've reconnected. The spouse can make or break siblings relationships can't they. What lovely news for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you me too. Yes, a spouse can ruin a family and she really gave it her all. I hope he can also reconnect with our Mother.

      Delete
  8. How absolutely wonderful that you and your brother have reconnected. What a great phone call!!!! You got a great Christmas gift in that!!!!! Miracles do happen - so glad he wasn't afraid to reach out. MAYBE you can get together for Christmas??????
    Happy to hear TBG is feeling much better this week.
    Prayers for a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl. Yes it was a really good phone call and yes we'll be seeing each other soon. He knew I'd always be here for him when he was ready. TBG is slowly doing better. Wishing you a wonderful week as well.

      Delete
  9. I'm a huge holiday movie buff, so thanks for the suggestions. I watched "Love Actually" last night. Had never seen it before. Thought it was a little creepy, but had a few good laughs. Haven't seen "The Holiday," "Feast of the Seven Fishes," or "Merry Swissmas," so thanks for calling my attention to them. Did see "Last Christmas," and as far as holiday movies go, liked it more than most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love holiday movies. I know what you mean about the creepy factor of Love Actually but yes some good parts. Since you watched it you need to see Love Hard on Netflix. I think you'll love it. Last Christmas is a good one. Family Stone is one of my favorites also.

      Delete
  10. So happy for you to have gotten your Christmas miracle. I can't imagine having a broken relationship with my sister.
    I start my Christmas movie watching with Love Actually every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. We were always very close so it was a difficult time and I'm glad things have worked out. If you have Netflix check out Love Hard, it's a cute movie.

      Delete
  11. So happy for you concerning your brother. It is so hard when a person enters your life and then makes it so hard for family. I just really dislike that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. She put a strain on our whole family but it all worked out in the end.

      Delete
  12. Australia doesn't have a tipping culture so it's always really weird for me to hear/read that you would tip a pizza delivery person! How very odd!:=) I understand about your brother. Sadly hubby's sisters do not speak to him; but apparently that is our fault not theirs according to their narrative. Is it horribly boastful of me to say I've read 168 books this year so far ?? :=) Cheers and happy festive season to you, sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tipping culture here is out of control. We are even asked if we want to tip for someone ringing up our purchases and taking our money. It is insane. My brother and I never really fought, I just backed away because I couldn't deal with her behavior any more. I tried for 20 plus years and gave up. I'm sorry you are all too familiar with these types of relationships. It's always sad to me. 168 books? You are amazing. I used to read a lot more when I had summers off but now that I'm full time year round, it is a challenge. Happy Holidays to you as well!!

      Delete
  13. I'm so glad your reconnected with your brother. Also I'm so glad TBG is feeling better! Yes, good service is so hard to get these days that's it's almost a pleasant surprise when you do get it! Yours is the second hot water heater blow out I've read about this week. Makes me worry about mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanette. I appreciate good service SO much I'm willing to shell out really good tips to reward that behavior. To be honest this water heater was original to our house so 37 years old. It served us well. We called it in to our repair guy on Friday around 1pm and he had it replaced by Saturday at 10am so less than 24 hours. We gave him a good tip.

      Delete
  14. That is such an amazing story about re-uniting with your brother. So sad how much he was influenced by his wife! The pizza delivery to the wrong address is infuriating especially when you are hungry and pay the extra for delivery and then had to go retrieve it!! They deserve the slaps!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy that he is happy now. They do deserve the slaps. We've had numerous issues with Dominos and won't order again.

      Delete