Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2021

My Week

 It's been one year ago today since I have seen my Mom.  We had gone out to lunch to celebrate her birthday.  In one hand it seems like it has been so much longer than one year.  I just heard that our favorite Mexican place, Gueros has been sold.  It was owned and operated by a husband and wife who lived above the restaurant and the stress of this last year has really taken a toll on their family.  They did so much for the community, this is a big loss. I think we are all going to be feeling the effects of this past year for a long time.

Dinners this week...

Monday- Ham and Cheese puff pastry, salad



Tuesday-Chicken Tiki Masala, spicy rice and cheese roll ups


Wednesday-Sloppy Joes on homemade buns and oven fried potatoes


Thursday-Spaghetti, salad, bread ( I switched out Portobello mushrooms for the meat in the sauce.  The meat eating big guy couldn't even tell. )


Friday-Pizza

Saturday- Lamp chops, baked potato, asparagus


Here is my recipe for Sloppy Joes:

3 cloves of garlic, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1 pound ground beef
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs. red wine vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
pinch cayenne
pinch thyme

Sautee the first three ingredients.  Add the beef.  Once the beef is cooked add remaining ingredients.  Simmer for about 30 minutes.

The weather is warming up here.  Each day this week is supposed to be sunny and in the 60's.  

Happy Sunday!!

13 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your favorite Mexican restaurant closing. So sad for the family and community. Your meals for the week look so delicious! sounds like you'll be having beautiful weather there. I sure hope you'll be able to see your mom soon. Enjoy your Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha. Yes, very sad about Gueros. They were such a generous family and really revitalized our downtown area.

      Delete
  2. I so much want to make tikka masala provided it is a properly done.
    My recipe for sloppy Joes is from Cook's Illustrated. It is a tasty one to be sure, but somewhat complicated. I will try yours now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both really enjoyed the tikka masala. I will send you the recipe. Let me know when you try the sloppy Joes. The recipe I use is a good balance of sweet and heat.

      Delete
  3. So sad about the restaurant going under. More than sad. May well be a horrible happening. Just how many good people, have been crushed, by this China/Covid Pandemic??????????

    Oh but your menu sounds delicious!!!!!!! -smile-

    ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŽ€๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŽ€๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŽ€๐ŸŒธ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, this pandemic has brought much sadness.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about the restaurant going under. Where I live, I had one I went to all the time. Just a few months before COVID, I noticed a lot of workers there were on the job with colds and flu so I stopped going. It makes me wonder if that's part of the problem.

    The food looks deelish, and I may need to make sloppy joes this week now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I hope you try it and enjoy! Yes it is sad. Even pre covid we did not eat out much in the fall and winter for the exact same reason you mentioned. Now, I don't know when I ever will feel comfortable enough to enjoy a restaurant meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear that your favorite Mexican restaurant closed. The pandemic has negatively impacted so many families who make their income within the restaurant industry. I have been trying to support local places by doing curbside pick-up from time to time. You weekly menu sounds good. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes, so many people have been impacted. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I have never worked with puff pastry my sister does all the time. I saw some for $3.25 at the new restaurant supply, is that a good price?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puff pastry is easy to work with. Yes, that price sounds about right.

      Delete
  8. Everything look very good and tasty! I feel hungry,just by looking.

    ReplyDelete