Pages

Friday, March 12, 2021

Things from my Kitchen

 Just a random post on some of the things in my kitchen that I love.  

My brother made this cutting board in wood shop when he was 17 and gave it to me for Christmas.  He's going to be 44 this year so that tells you how long ago that was.  For many years it leaned against the kitchen wall unused.  I thought it was too beautiful to use.  But in my quest to use and enjoy the good stuff I started actually using it.  I still use my larger cutting board the most but this no longer sits on the counter being neglected.


This is a picture of the 6 sets of chopsticks a friend of mine brought me from Japan.  They really are beautiful.  The glass that I keep them in  is one I picked up when I was 13 from a local Chinese Restaurant.  The picture doesn't show how pretty it is.  It is a dragon that wraps all around the glass.


I may do more posts of my favorite things.  It was nice to take a few minutes and think about how special some things are to me.  

12 comments:

  1. I love the beautiful cutting board your brother made, that's so special! Love the chopsticks and the glass too. I like the idea of posting some things we love. Have a fantastic weekend Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha. Yes I was blown away that he made it for me. It's the usefulness and the memories in some items that make them so special to me. I hope you have a fantastic weekend as well!!

      Delete
  2. A handmade cutting board! A treasure, but one to be used. So glad you did.

    My husband is a life-long woodworker, and he has made any items for the kitchen, as well as elsewhere in the house. He even made a butcher block table, for our daughter and her husband. -smile-

    Gentle hugs~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a woodworker in the family is such a blessing. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  3. Those are nice! I have four pairs of chopsticks but I have no idea if I'm going to use a glass or something else to store them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had them in the silverware drawer for a few years then decided to put them out where I could see them.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that cutting board looks like quite an advanced project for high school wood shop! The only thing I remember making in wood shop (which, admittedly, was in junior high) was a wooden airplane of some kind. I wish I still had the toolbox we made in metal shop, though, that thing was sturdy and fun to make. :D

    Good luck with your A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I am looking forward to the challenge.

      Delete
  5. I broke down and started using the $$ cutting board I got at Christmas.
    What on earth is it for otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! I no longer keep things tucked away for a special occasion. Every day is a special occasion!

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful cutting board, your brother is a talented gentleman !
    Pretty chopsticks, sadly mine are plain wood :(
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. I had the same plain wood chopsticks until I was gifted these.

      Delete