Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2022

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind: Inflation.  While we're fine, I can't help but think of younger people just starting their lives, people with young children or the older population trying to make it on social security or retirement funds.  Gas is 5.29 here and seems to be going up every other day. Childcare prices are through the roof.  One of the doctors I work with needs childcare for two children under 5 and he's being told 31.00 an hour.  That is ridiculous.  We need to remember when we think just get a job, childcare may be the reason they really can't.

Where I've been: I stopped by the library to donate a pile of books that I've read.  Our town has Market Day's on the second Saturday during the summer at the city park so we went and walked around there yesterday, then we went and had a burger at Freddy's. 

Where I'm going: The farmers market is on Tuesdays and Fridays.  Friday I plan to stop and see what is available.  Thursday evenings during the summer they have food and music at Cedar Hurst Art Center so if the weather is nice we may go out there.  It's supposed to be really HOT so this is a maybe.

What I'm watching: I've had Modern Family marathons on the TV in the evenings while I cook or clean up.  I've always loved that show. They are all different, they fight but in the end, they love each other and always have each others backs.

What I'm  reading: I finished The Last Bookstore in London by Madeline Martin and I LOVED it.  Thank you so much Betty for recommending it. I give it a 10 out of 10. I'm about halfway through My Life from Scratch by Gesine Bulluck Prado and am enjoying it as well.  It's a good light summer read by Sandra Bullock's sister and how she went from Hollywood to Vermont and created the life she wanted.

What I'm listening to: At the moment I'm listening to Binx run the length of the house over and over and over wondering how can a 4 pound cat make so much noise.  

What I'm eating: 
Last night I made a chicken fettuccine 'ish' meal.  I used butter, flour, very little milk and chicken broth with basil, garlic, oregano and pepper.  I didn't write down the measurements of course and it came out so delicious and light.  I hope I can recreate it again.

Beef tacos

BIG salad x 2.  Our lettuce mix is growing like crazy so we will be having a lot more salads.
Chicken and veg egg rolls and rice



Beef sausage, peppers, onions, red potatoes and corn

Who needs a good slap: This is getting hard to narrow down.  SO many need slapped right now.  

What I'm planning: Nothing at the moment.

What is making me smile: Binx.  This first week with him has been amazing.  He adjusted to his new home so quickly.  He is full of joy.  Equal parts play, fun and love.  As I've been typing this up he has run the length of the house at least 30 times chasing toys around.  He's only 4 pounds but it sounds like a horse is running through here. He also loves looking out into the backyard watching the squirrels and birds.  You can't help but smile seeing what a happy soul he is.


I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.  Have a wonderful Sunday!!


18 comments:

  1. Nice to get a Bunch update. Cats can be so loud too. This is part of the nightmare neighbors my daughter has. There's not supposed to be pets but the upstairs has two large cats that run and play all night, chasing each other. She gets woken up to rumbling and has nights she can't sleep. I've heard it and in a 150 year old house, no sound barrier. Your meals are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sam. I feel for your daughter with the running cats especially since they aren't even supposed to be there. Luckily I am a very sound sleeper so even if he does it at night I don't hear him.

      Delete
  2. Your meals sound delicious! I am going to recreate your sausage and pepper meal. It looks so good! I agree with you on the inflation and prices of everything. And although it just keeps getting worse, it seems no one in a position to do anything about it, is! Have a cozy Sunday, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Billie Jo. It's a good weeknight go to that comes together quickly. Wishing you a cozy Sunday as well.

      Delete
  3. You are welcome, Lori, about the book suggestion :) And equally, thank you for suggesting the Lake of Dead Languages. I finished it last week and absolutely loved it! So glad that Binx is adding joy and a spark of happiness to your life, Lori. Pets have a way of doing that, don't they? I can't imagine that with the childcare $31 an hour! My grandson is in a summer camp type program and they pay $32 a day for it which includes lunch. But maybe if it is a one to one type of situation that is why it is $31 an hour? I saw a news report this morning about the homeless in Phoenix and the people reporting on the story said they had never seen so many older people homeless or disabled people than now. That is sad :(

    Yummy on your food! Always looks so delicious!

    Hope the week ahead is a great one and you survive the heat!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. Yes they want someone to come to their home one on one. The daycares that survived 2020 are all full. It is so sad how this is all affecting so many people. All I can do is pray right now.
      I hope you also have a great week ahead and stay cool in AZ.

      Delete
  4. With ALL that is WRONG with our Beloved Country, and the World, you can see why I try to keep my attention on the Ortiz brothers racing, and other *Not Really Intellectual/Heavy* topics. -sigh-

    I can do nothing about the Horrors, until next election. It only hurts my health, to dwell on them now.<---NOT saying you are dwelling on them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You and your Kitty, are so lucky to have found each other!!!!!!!!!

    She is and will bring you so much Joy.

    Gentle hugs
    😊 😊 😊 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch much news I just know that we have a lot of hurting people out there and that bothers me a lot. Binx is a joy!!

      Delete
  5. I'm thrilled to see Binx is adjusting well and making everyone happy. I hope your next week is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. Binx is a very sweet soul.

      Delete
  6. A market where you may drop off read books and a market for fresh produce! what more does one need?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! I love when cats get the "zoomies"! They do sound like horses running around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gets the zoomies multiple times daily!! I'm just happy he feels so comfortable and seems to be fearless. (other than the vacuum) lol

      Delete
  8. I love all the food pictures it all looks so good. This is why I babysit my grand kids. The cost is outrageous. Plus who is going to do it. I too worry about the younger people. Hubs and I went through the Carter years in the 80's and we still have PTSD from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. Yes IF you can even find child care it is outrageous. It's difficult for so many right now I just worry how they're going to manage if it continues to get worse which I'm afraid it will.

      Delete
  9. Awwww I'm glad Binx is enjoying his new home. He is just precious. So wonderful that you found him. All that food looks so good! Yes the inflation is putting pressure on ... and I think it will get worse before it gets better. Who needs a slap is any lying lib elitist politician whose agenda has caused this. And there are plenty of them. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Jenny! I agree, I think it will all get worse before it gets better. I'm very worried about the future for us all.

    ReplyDelete