Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2022

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind: We HAVE to buy a generator this week.  Last week the temperatures were brutal.  Monday when I got up at 5 am it was already 80 degrees.  We broke all kinds of record high temperatures with a few days at 100.  Friday morning a bad storm rolled through with 70 mph winds and knocked down a lot of trees and of course the power.  The storm brought cooler temperatures so it wasn't bad in the house but I was worried about the food in the freezer.  After two hours I went and bought a couple bags of ice and stored everything that was in the fridge in a cooler.  After 12 hours the power was restored and I opened the freezer to check.  Everything was still frozen solid, even the popsicles so we dodged a bullet this time. I don't want to chance it again.  

Where I've been: Friday morning I made a trip to the library to pick up a book I had reserved and then went to the Farmer's Market.  My favorite farmer who grows everything he sells on his farm and doesn't use chemicals had zucchini, sweet cherries, hoop house tomatoes and a few other early crops.  His lettuce was gorgeous but I have a ton of lettuce growing here.  Today I'm making sweet cherry hand pies and I can't wait because the cherries are delicious.  I also stopped at The Hole Dozens food truck while I was there and picked up an apple fritter for myself and a cinnamon roll for the big guy.  AMAZING!





Where I'm going: I'm working all week and next weekend we have some shopping to do.  I'm hoping the other book I reserved arrives so I can pick it up because with no power on Friday I've already finished the book I picked up.

What I'm watching:  I didn't watch much this week at all.  The big guy did tape a Julia Child special for me so I may watch that sometime this week.  I just don't find myself interested in watching much lately. I do most of my movie/tv watching in the winter.

What I'm reading: I finished My Life from Scratch and really enjoyed it.  I also finished Kitchen Yarns: Notes on Life, Love and Food.  It also was a good summer read.  I did get a new Mary Janes magazine a couple of weeks ago and finished it yesterday while sitting outside.  It was a good week of reading.

What I'm listening to: It's only 57 degrees out right now so I have the patio door open and I can hear all of the birds waking up and chirping away.  It's peaceful.

What I'm eating: 
Hebrew National all beef hot dog on homemade buns with fries.  This is my once a year indulgence with hot dogs.  I love them but they really aren't good for you.
BIG Salad x2
Chicken sausage, peppers, onions and potatoes with a cheese roll up.
Chicken legs, mac and cheese and salad.
Agave Mexican Restaurant...not very good.  We REALLY miss our favorite local Mexican place that didn't make it through Covid. 
Dijon maple grilled chicken, deviled eggs, baked potato and Texas toast.  This was a new recipe I tried and it is delicious and so easy.  I'll share the recipe this week.

Who needs a good slap:  The neighborhood squirrels.  I don't like them and I never will.  I have battled with them every year over my gardens.  This year they have eaten all of my arugula.  We had stopped feeding the birds because  it attracts them even more.  But the big guy filled the feeder to give Binx a chance to watch the birds from the windows.  The feeder is almost empty and we will only fill it during the winter from now on.  I give 2 big slaps to the little tree rats.

What I'm planning: I'm already planning next years gardens.  I want a larger herb garden and I want to expand on Spring and Fall crops.  I pulled out this years Botanical Interests seed catalog and have been making notes.

What's making me smile: Every day I wake up I have to smile and thank God for another day.

I lost my Dad when I was 24 years old so Father's Day is always a little bitter sweet to me.  I'm sure a lot of people feel the same.  Hugs to you that do.  Stay cool and safe and have a great Sunday!!


22 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the garden. I worry about that when I move. I have plans to get a large box pot and grow a few things in it in the backyard.

    I usually don't eat donuts but after seeing those pictures I could use one right now. I hope this week is better than the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squirrels are a real problem with gardening. I noticed we didn't have many until he fed the birds. I was so excited about the arugula then in one evening it was gone.
      I'm not a big donut fan either but that apple fritter was SO good.
      Hope you're doing well and have a great week!!

      Delete
  2. Good idea to get a generator, Lori! I remember one time we lost power when we lived in San Diego for over 12 hours. We lost so much food then but my motto was better safe than sorry with wondering if the food was still going to be good or not. We have considered buying one but haven't gotten around to it yet. I am looking forward to that recipe you'll be sharing. Sounds delicious! Yummy on the donuts! Always a nice treat!! 57 degrees seems so pleasant out! We won't see that here until November :) Father's Day and Mother's Day are always bittersweet days for so many like you said. It is nice to remember and to share and celebrate but also a bit sad for those who don't have their parents alive anymore. I'm always glad these days to celebrate it pretty quietly or not at all. Have a good week ahead!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fridge and freezer are the main reason I want to get a generator. I read that if your freezer was full which ours is, it would be good for 24-36 hours but I started to get nervous at the 11 hour mark. I was very happy that nothing started to thaw because I too would have either cooked it immediately or gotten rid of it. When I saw the small, thin popsicles hadn't even thawed a little bit I felt so good.
      I'll share the recipe in a day or two. It was simple and so good.
      It's days like this that are a little hard to get through so hugs to you Betty. I hope you also have a good week!

      Delete
  3. Losing power is so frustrating so that will be a good thing to have a generator! I'm glad you didn't lose your food during the power outage! Those treats and those cherries look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't bother me much except the possibility of losing food so I think it is a necessity for my own peace of mind. As long as we can keep power to the fridge I will be happy.

      Delete
  4. I wonder ab out people who have LOTS of food in freezers.... Do they worry about power outages? You are dealing with the possibility.

    So far our weather has not been HOT. Hardly any A/C use. Outright cool yesterday. Time will tell....

    I don't like squirrels either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some people think they are cute. NOOOOOO!

    Chipmunks are cute. -grin- They scurry around, taking care of business, and do not seem to eat growing food or plants.

    ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to be able to keep the fridge/freezer running and I'll be happy.
      Finally someone that understand my dislike of squirrels. Everyone always says 'but they're so cute.' grrrr. Chipmunks are cute and no I've never had one destroy my garden.
      Lucky you on the cooler weather. This week is going to be another brutally hot one.
      Wishing you a very Happy Sunday!!

      Delete
  5. Yep. I always worry the minute the power goes out. Once, when I was about ready to have Flynn, our power went out for an entire day. I was so worried about the food! A generator sounds like a good idea. I am looking forward to the recipe! I hope you have a cozy day. Cooler here, so the door will be open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went for 8 days without power when we lived in SW Florida after Hurricane Charlie. We didn't stock up on meat like we do now because we knew better. I remember cooking what I did have on the grill and sharing with the neighbors.
      It's cooler here today but the rest of the week will be hot.
      Enjoy your Sunday Billie Jo!

      Delete
  6. Smart you for fast thinking. With food so expensive, losing it to no power is a great loss. I remember once my parents cooking and cooking food outside, then refroze it once power came back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy we didn't loose any food. I've been known to be out grilling in a power outage myself. lol

      Delete
  7. Good for you about the smiles.
    One must learn to plant/do what the squirrels won't touch.
    I recommend you take yearly notes to remind you what worked/didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to want to touch everything. I remember in 2020 when they ate all my jalapenos. That was a first.

      Delete
  8. Hubs dad trapped squirrels daily and shot them. He eventually thinned the little buggers out, but I don't know if I could do that. Yes a generator is almost a must in these days. At least enough to run the freezers and the furnace. You can fudge everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't dislike them enough to kill them I just want them out of our yard.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry you lost your dad so young, Lori. I never knew my dad though, and he died when I was 11, so I think having a dad until you're 24 would have been wonderful! I'm sure you miss him. Your menus sound great as always. I too love hot dogs but rarely eat them. I know squirrels can be real nuisances but I love to watch them! Your cherry hand pies sound so good! I have enjoyed lots of reading (via audiobooks) this summer too, and plan to do lots more! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny. I read a lot during the summer because I enjoy sitting outside. The cherry hand pies were delicious. Have a great week.

      Delete
  10. I love that you've been listening to the birds. I've been enjoying listening to them in the mornings, too.

    ReplyDelete