Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2022

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind: Routine. A few months ago I started a new home routine where I spend a little extra time throughout the week on things that need to be done around the house.  This is working out very well.  It's nice not to have a long to do list on my days off.

Where I've been:  Monday thru Thursday was work. Friday morning I went to the Farmers Market and loaded up on more veggies to eat, dehydrate and freeze.  Saturday, the big guy and I decided to use a gift card that we had and try Cracker Barrel again for breakfast.  It still isn't much better than the last time we were there about 8 months ago, so we'll cross them off our list. Since we weren't going back, I used the rest of the gc on candles.  We seriously need a good breakfast place in this town.  We then went to Market Days which is at one of the local parks the second Saturday throughout the summer.  It was a nice day for a walk, even though we didn't see anything that caught our eyes. Well, other than the funnel cake he wanted because he was still hungry.

Where I'm going: Other than working all week, I have no where I have to be, which is kind of nice.

What I'm watching: Binx is growing almost daily.  He has large paws, long legs and a long tail so I'm thinking he is going to be a large cat. He's just a bit over 5 months old now.  This is him with Mr. Quackers that he carries everywhere.  We have to buy him dog toys since he's so rough on them.  Cat toys do not last.

What I'm reading: Israeli Soul. I know I said I wouldn't buy anymore cookbooks but this one is a bit different. It is part history, part travel and of course recipes.  I'm really enjoying it.  I also read an article yesterday Late Summer: The Fifth Season.  According to Chinese medical wisdom, late summer in the northern hemisphere is a season of its own.  It is said to begin the third week of August and last until the autumn equinox in September. This is when weather patterns are shifting, nature is coming into full maturity.  The trees and other foliage ripen bearing fruit to sow for the hibernation that is to come.  

What I'm listening to: Still keeping it quiet every chance I get.

What I'm eating:

Pasta bake, salad
Beef picadillo, rice and cheese roll ups. SO good.  Two days later I used the left over picadillo and green sauce on fresh naan. Delicious. Here's the recipe: Culinary Adventures with Lori: Search results for peruvian green sauce
BIG salad
Lamb burgers, zucchini chips, tomatoes and basil


Yesterday I made macaroni salad and deviled eggs.  Then I grilled wings, chicken kabobs and baked potatoes.  So today is leftovers.  YAY!

Who needs a good slap: A woman from Georgia that conned a local elderly woman out of $30,000.00.  The good news is she was greedy and tried a second time and were caught by the police. I give 5 very hard slaps.

What I'm planning:  Nothing right now.

What's making me smile:  A cool front came through on Thursday lowering the temperature and the humidity.  I know the heat and humidity will return but I'll take every cool front we can get.  

I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday and a safe, happy week ahead.

21 comments:

  1. That was terrible about the woman conning the elderly lady out of all that money. Glad she was caught! I hate when people take advantage of the elderly :(

    I can see that there would be a season known as late summer. The first year we lived here in Phoenix, I noticed a subtle difference in the temperature late August when I would go out in the morning. It was still hot, but just a touch of cool. So I could see how that would be a shifting from summer to fall.

    I think the Cracker Barrell has a delightful store to shop in but their food and me do not get along, lol. It might be because it is cooked in too much butter/grease/oil but after eating there, I usually experience heartburn and the like. Therefore, we avoid eating there as well these days :)

    How cute that Binx needs dog toys as he destroys the cat ones. I don't think I have ever heard of that before. He sure is a cute one!

    I too like to make meals that we can use for leftovers the next day. So much easier when meal planning I do believe!

    Hope you have a great Sunday too, Lori! May be a stormy one here, not sure, but there is about a 40% chance of a thunderstorm later this afternoon :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Betty,
    I'm so glad the scammer was caught but the woman will probably never see her money again. Taking advantage of the elderly is one of my biggest pet peeves.
    I had never thought about it before but I agree with the article and late summer. I know here in the beginning of summer everything is such a vibrant green and now it's turning into a deep shade of green.
    We've gone to CB maybe three times in the last 4 years and its been bad everytime so we're done.
    Binx is rough on cat toys. He pulls feathers out, bites off eyes and tails and just demolishes them very quickly. So, dog toys it is.
    I've been making at least one meal a week that will provide us with leftovers to save time. I'm looking forward to fall so I can cook large batches of soups, chilis and stews for the freezer. That always makes a super easy meal plan.
    Happy to hear you may get rain. I know you really need it.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a special place in Hell for people that rip off the elderly. I went to great lengths to protect my father whenever I could.

    It's been humid and hot over here. The place I'm living in right now has poor or no insulation in the walls, so it still gets really bad at times no matter what fans I use. I'm physically worn out at the end of my work day, so I usually don't have the energy to do too much. That's the biggest reason why I look forward to moving. I'm tired of fighting the heat without AC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly!
      I honestly can't imagine not having AC. I definitely would have no energy without it. It's been such a hot summer. I'll be happy for you when you move soon.
      Enjoy your days off my friend!!

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, that cool front!!!! -smile- And we need to know it is a tease... That heat will return... But it is lovely while it lasts!!!!!!!

    🍁🍂🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool fronts are such a breath of fresh air even though I know they will not last. Fall will be here soon.

      Delete
  5. When I worked full time I used to try to do one chore every evening like one load of laundry or vacuum the upstairs,or downstairs or dust all the furniture so that when the weekend came I wasn't spending the whole thing catching up! It was a struggle sometime but worth it when Saturday came! All the food sounds good. Our weather has cooled down a little too and it was nice to sleep with the covers on last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I am doing now and it is working out very well. It isn't easy like you said but totally worth it. Cool fronts are so refreshing especially after such high heat and humidity.

      Delete
  6. Hello! I love your background! And when I see a BIG Salad, I always think of Seinfeld! Have a cozy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billie Jo. Thank you. I'm trying to switch it up seasonally. Yes I had forgotten the BIG salad Elaine ordered until Sam reminded me.

      Delete
  7. That's good that horrid woman was caught. Yum, your food sounds delicious as always. It's disappointing when restaurants don't deliver. We have limited breakfast options here, so I prefer to make it, or go where brunch is an option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad the police were able to set her up and catch her. Breakfast or brunch was always my favorite meal to eat out. Sadly there is nowhere here worth going to.

      Delete
  8. Your meals are delicious.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy she was caught. What is wrong with people? I need to get my housework on lists of daily's so I can keep up with it, but then would I do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy they caught her. I don't know what is wrong with some people.

      Delete
  10. It is growing ever so slightly cooler here too! Wonderful for my early-morning walks. I can't stand it when I hear of people preying on or abusing elderly folks. That is reprehensible. Your meals look so good! Binx IS a big cat! Already looks bigger than my Sweetness, who I think is on the petite side although trying to get fat, haaaha! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a bit of drop in the humidity makes me happy. Elderly abuse is indeed on of my top pet peeves. Binx is growing daily almost. He is just so long and tall for 5 months old.

      Delete
  11. I like a routine. I find it really helps me get things done that I might not get too. Your kitten/cat is adorable.I get a big kick out of reading "Who needs a good slap:". It just strikes me as funny and I scroll to it first. I haven't read "Israeli Soul" but it looks interesting. His restaurant "Zahav" and his 8 other restaurants around Philadelphia are some of the best! We live about 1/2 hour outside of Phila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like routine as well and a list. Glad you enjoy who needs a good slap. I know it's been a good week when I can't think of anyone. Israeli Soul is really good so far. I'm reading cover to cover. I've heard his restaurants are amazing. A friend went to Zahav and raved about it.

      Delete