Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2023

My Weekly W's

The second week of 2023 has passed and I honestly don't know where it went.  It seems like the week went by in a flash.

What's top of my mind: All three of my favorite seed company's catalogs have arrived.  I plan on spending some time this afternoon going through them and getting my orders ready.  We are changing things up a bit this year in the garden. We are expanding a bit and I want to focus on growing what I can't get from friends or the famers market.  

Where I've been: Other than picking up a few basics at the grocery store and having lunch yesterday at Freddy's with the big guy, I haven't been anywhere this week.

Where I'm going:  The big guy is off this week so we may pick up dinner from Yellin Helen's one night and then next weekend we'll be going out of town to run a few errands.

What I'm watching: We watched Father Stu and both really enjoyed it.  I didn't realize until the end that it was based on a true store.  I also found the series Down to Earth on Netflix.  There are two seasons and I started from the beginning.  To say it is a fascinating documentary is putting it mildly.  I watched Iceland and France and stopped because my head was just overwhelmed.  The things that other countries are doing to make their countries better is amazing.  The US is far, far behind.

What I'm reading: I flipped through a few older cookbooks and I'm going through seed catalogs.  That is about it for this week.

What I'm listening to: I'm keeping it quiet every chance I get.

What I'm eating: 
Lamb burgers and oven fries
Chicken fajita rice bowls and cheese roll up
Ham, Havarti, red onion hand pie with oven fried potatoes


Chili from the freezer and cornbread
Beef sausage, peppers, onions and mac and cheese with broccoli



I also made an apple crisp, and it was delicious with vanilla ice cream.


Apple Crisp

Spiced Apples:
6 apples-I used gala
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

Oat topping:
1/4 Cup flour
1/3 Cup rolled oats
1/2Cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, cut in cubes
pinch salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Core and slice the apples (peel if desired) Mix in a large bowl with the spiced apple ingredients.  Set aside.
Combine all of the oat topping ingredients in a separate bowl.
Butter an 8x8 square pan.  Pour in the apple mixture and top with the oat topping.
Bake for 45 minutes.



Who needs a good slap: No one particular is coming to mind.

What I'm planning: This week I'm going to start my Spring cleaning. I have a list of projects to start on.  I know it's early but I like to get it all done before March when I start spending as much time outside as I can.  

What's making me smile:  Binx.  I can't believe he is 10 months old already.  This is our first selfie and Binx didn't look happy about it. 


Wishing everyone a wonderful Sunday and week ahead!!

18 comments:

  1. Hi Binx! I bet you're a sweet boy beneath that pout.

    I'm glad you had a good week, and hopefully this weekend was a relaxing one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi from Binx. He is a sweet boy but his facial expressions speak volumes. I hope you're staying dry and doing well!!

      Delete
  2. Do you use just regular pie crust for the hand pies? I'd like to try those this week when make dough for a pot pie... hesitation of course! Ooh, apple crisp is so yummy. I found a can of apple pie filling to use up- hubs might get a crisp this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I use regular pie crust. They're actually very easy to make. I haven't had apple crisp in forever until you mentioned it a few weeks ago, so thank you for reminding me I love it.

      Delete
  3. Same thing happened to me with Father Stu. I did not realize until after watching it that is was based on a true story. I'll check out Down To Earth- thanks. I love picking out the seeds that I will plant come spring. Nice that you received your catalogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Down to Earth is a real eye opener. I've only watched two episodes because I had to let them sink in before going any further. Planning the garden is half the fun isn't it Judee?

      Delete
  4. Apple crisp is so yummy! I’ve also read about how much other countries are doing to help both the young and the old. I’ve given up on our political system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known that we are behind so many countries in so many ways but this was a real eye opener and I've only watched two episodes. My mind was just blown at what Iceland and France is doing for their countries.

      Delete
  5. That apple crisp looks so good. I might have to get some apples and make one.
    Hello to the handsome Binx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good. It's been years since I've had any and I'm not sure why. Hi from Binx!!

      Delete
  6. Love the picture of you and Binx! Reminds me of my cat Smudge who used to get such an annoyed look on his face whenever I pointed my phone or a camera at him! I mean, how do they even know you are about to take their picture?! That apple crisp looks delicious and reminds me I have about six apples that are past their prime and that's exactly what I'm going to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what he thought I was doing but he wasn't really happy about it. He's such a funny cat. Enjoy that apple crisp! We did. Have a good week Jeanette!

      Delete
  7. Now I need some apple crisp in my life! A visit to Yellin' Helen's would not go amiss either. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been years since I've had apple crisp and it hit the spot. Yellin' Helen is SO good.

      Delete
  8. On these cold January days and apple crisp would taste so good, thanks for the recipe, it looks delicious! I also need some good ideas for something to watch on TV. I've heard that, Down to Earth is good, I'll have to watch it. Have a fun week-end! Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so long since I've made it and it truly hit the spot. I'm actually going to make another one tomorrow to finish off the apples I bought. It's so good for cold days you are correct. I am enjoying and learning a lot from Down To Earth. I hope you have a great weekend as well.

      Delete