Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2023

My Weekly W's - New Year 2023

What's top of my mind:  Every year during the week between Christmas and New Year I spend a little time thinking about the past year and planning for the new year.  This year I ticked a lot of things off my master to do list, read a lot of books, made a lot of memories and paid it forward a number of times.  All and all I consider it a pretty good year.

Where I've been:  We've always enjoyed eating out a bit more than normal during the holidays and this is the first time since covid we've been able to do that.  We enjoy it because everyone is festive, the eateries are usually decorated for the holiday, and we get a chance to pay it forward if we have good service. We took one last chance on Cracker Barrell and went to breakfast on Christmas Eve.  It actually was really good.  Wednesday, we had a wonderful lunch at Firefly Grill and Thursday took us to our local Italian place for lunch.  Other than eating out, we relaxed at home and it was lovely.

Where I'm going:  It's back to work tomorrow.  I can't say I'm excited but I'm not dreading it.  Other than a quick shop for veggies and fruit I don't think I'll be going anywhere.  We were gifted a lot of meat, so the freezer is full.

What I'm watching: I didn't watch much of anything this week.

What I'm reading:  King Arthur Baking School book was one of my gifts.  I always wished I lived closer so I could attend classes in person.  They offer online classes but that doesn't appeal to me so the book will do fine.

What I'm listening to: Nothing comes to mind.

What I'm eating: I had a number of items I've added to the freezer over the last couple of weeks so we could have quick dinners this week.
Left over Moroccan Lamb meatballs, rice and naan
Left over lasagna, salad and garlic knots
Left over chili, jalapeno poppers
Chicken legs, mac and cheese, broccoli and garlic knots
Fish and chips for the big guy and chicken parm for me.  SO good!!



We had a few slices of ham left over from Christmas, so I made ham and cheese roll ups with chips and dip.  They were tasty as well.



I'm making popovers and bacon for brunch and roasting a chicken for dinner tonight.  I made my grandmothers 'creamy dessert' yesterday.  The recipe said to make it the day before.  I don't know how it turned out yet but I'll share the recipe this week.  I LOVED it when I was young but haven't had it for probably over 30 years.

Who needs a good slap:  No one pops to mind right now but I'm sure once I return to the real world tomorrow I'll have a slap to pass out next week.

What I'm planning: January and February are the two months I just take it day by day.  I enjoy a slower pace and being home as much as possible.  

What's making me smile: I won a 1967 cookbook from My Tireless Retirement  
1967 is the year I was born, so I'm excited to checked it out and possibly make something from it. Be sure and check out her blog if you're interested in ways to save money and organizing your home.  

I hope everyone had a nice Holiday.  I'm wishing you all the best for the New Year!!  




26 comments:

  1. Where is the baking school? I take it that it refers to King Arthur flour? What is your grandmother’s creamy dessert? Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, King Arthur Flour. The school is in Vermont. I will post the recipe this week for the creamy dessert. Happy New Year!!

      Delete
  2. Hello! I love what you wrote about January and February. I do the same, and I look forward to it every year. Cozy evenings, new seasons of television shows, and reading on the couch. Love your meal ideas too! Have a cozy Sunday, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also look forward to this time of year. I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that the Holidays are all over with. It feels like I was just getting ready for Halloween. lol Wishing you a cozy Sunday also Billie Jo!!

      Delete
  3. The book sounds fun. I too avoid on line learning since I'm tethered to my computer for work, but I want to experiment more, enjoy healthy food, and bond with the girls in my life. I've do enjoyed your blog and friendship, Lori. I hope 2023 is wonderful for you, the Big Guy, and your fur babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not care for online learning for the same reason. I get more out of in person or reading on my own. Sounds like you have set wonderful intensions. The big guy has been warmed we're doing much less meat this year. We'll see how that goes. I am so glad we found each other Sam. Hugs to you and may 2023 be a wonderful year for you and your family.

      Delete
  4. Have a wonderful year in 2023, and I hope you get to do all the things you hope to do. Your meals look quite delicious, especially Moroccan meatballs.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Moroccan meatballs are really high on my list of favorites. Wishing you a wonderful 2023 also!!

      Delete
  5. I hope you have a wonderful 2023, and you've convinced me to make a major purchase once the weather improves. I'll have more deets about it in about a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wish you a wonderful 2023. I'm thankful for having you as a blog buddy. I can't wait to hear what it is. I convinced you?? I have no idea. Have a great week!!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year, lori! I love old cookbooks, I hope you find some really wonderful recipes in yours. January and February always seem like slower months to me, they are definitely a prelude to busy times. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Barb!! I love cookbooks so was excited to win. I get so busy with the gardens and outside work once March comes that I enjoy the downtime Jan and Feb bring. Wishing you a great week!!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on winning a cookbook! That is very cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was cool too! Being written in 1967 is what really made me want it.

      Delete
  8. Taking it one day at a time is a good idea. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope that dessert was as good as you remembered. I go back to work tomorrow and I know I'll have someone who needs a slap. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, found my person that needs a slap on my first day back also.

      Delete
  10. I too hope you have a good year.
    I buy King Arthur flour too!
    Your point about January and February inspire a post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike. I'm happy to have given a bit of inspiration.

      Delete
  11. I find that food is a BIG part of celebrating for us. We have eaten out quite a bit this past week to meet up with friends in the area. My husband would love that Moroccan lamb meatballs. Best wishes for a wonderful 2023

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food is always a big part of celebrations for us also. We've always enjoyed going out around the holidays especially and not having been able to do so the last two years made us enjoy it even more. May 2023 be a wonderful year for you also.

      Delete
  12. If and when I get my endless to-do list done, and when our city watermain break is fixed... I hope to find some hibernation mode. So far, it has been elusive. -sigh-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no. I hope the watermain is fixed soon. Sometimes life has a way of throwing us a curveball.

      Delete
  13. We like Cracker Barrel and rarely have a bad experience there. We also often go to Waffle House on Sunday afternoons, and we were able to do something really nice for our favorite server there. She is a blessing to us. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not have Waffle House here and the big guy dearly misses it. Our Cracker Barrel went through a tough time after Covid but seems like it may be back on track. Breakfast was delicious. I love taking good care of servers. They really deserve it!

      Delete