Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2023

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind:  My lifelong best friend lost her sister on Christmas and three blogger friends have also unexpectedly lost spouses.  When life changing things like this happen there really are no words to express how sorry I am for what they're going through.  It is a big reminder to focus on those we deeply love because that truly is all that is important in life.

Where I've been:  Friday the big guy and I had lunch at a new restaurant here in town. We were not impressed at all so won't be going back.  

Where I'm going:  We have no plans this week. 

What I'm watching:  I watched That 90's Show this weekend and really enjoyed it. They did a wonderful job of combining the past show with the present one. Red and Kitty are as fabulous as ever.

What I'm reading:  I didn't read much this week.  I've mentioned before that I typically do most of my yearly reading in the warmer months because I enjoy sitting outside reading.  I'm not sure why it's so hard for me to pick up a book during the winter.  You would think this would be the perfect time of year to curl up with a good book.

What I'm listening to:  We had a lunch meeting this week with the Patient Experience leader.  She talked about the damage the last three years have done to society.  People are madder, people are distant.  Relationships are strained. She stressed the importance of selfcare and compassion for others as the way we will turn this around.  

What I'm eating:

BIG salad

Left over spicy chicken soup. 
Meatloaf, baked potato and green beans.
Veggie pasta, salad and garlic bread.
Pizza and salad
Cheeseburger eggrolls and oven fries
Tonight, I am roasting a chicken and serving with mashed potatoes and either salad or corn.

Who needs a good slap:  Another mass shooter!!  I just have no words for this.

What I'm planning:  This week I did a bit of deep cleaning and decluttering which will continue this week.  I'm making a want/need list as I go through each room and it seems so far there will be quite a bit of painting in my future.

What's making me smile:  I woke up to get a drink of water about 2 am and I noticed how bright it seemed outside, so I went to look out.  Everything was covered in snow, and it was coming down in huge flakes. The sidewalks and roads are clear because it's been so warm, but the trees and every other surface is coated, and it is gorgeous.  Snow makes me smile because we really do not get much most years.

I'm off to get my day started.  I hope everyone is well.  Remember to hug your loved ones and appreciate all of the small joys in life as it's all we really have. 

21 comments:

  1. I feel out of the loop! I didn’t know there was another mass shooting :(
    And I’ve not heard of That 90’s Show. I’ve gotten up and noticed how bright it is with snow, too. Or a full moon. Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard it this morning on the local news. It was in Los Angeles. Ten dead and ten injured and shooter got away. Just SO senseless to me. That 90's Show is on Netflix. It is just gorgeous this morning! I love a full moon. Wishing you a wonderful week also Bijoux!!

      Delete
  2. The three ladies losing their husbands in such quick succession really puts things into perspective doesn't it. I only heard Sam's awful news this morning - I'm so glad she's got a very large family to lean on at this dreadful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it does put things in perspective. My heart really goes out to Martha, Kim and Sam. It is a devastating time for them and I'm glad that all three have family to lean on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am glad to know they have support in others.

      Delete
  4. I read about the shooting earlier & it just broke my heart. I love the snow. I woke up to it too & it's still falling. I love seeing all the pine trees covered in it.

    I'm sorry about your poor restaurant experience. Your food always looks delicious. Like you, I enjoy cooking, but it's always nice to dine out. I'm super picky about food though, so not all places will meet my expectations. Hope you, the big guy & Binx have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is heartbreaking and so senseless.
      It stopped snowing here but it is still gorgeous. We're picky about food as well so yes it does make it difficult to find good restaurants. We're snuggled in for the day so it should be good. I hope you have a wonderful day also.

      Delete
  5. I literally just woke up about ten minutes ago. I can't believe the awful stuff I'm hearing about right now. I feel like crawling back into bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I felt when I turned on the local news to hear the weather and heard about the shooting. Stay safe my friend!!

      Delete
  6. That last matter, the smile at the snow, reminds us not everything is bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still believe there is more good than bad.

      Delete
  7. Holidays are hard enough sometimes but losing a loved one at Christmas time only makes them worse.
    I always used to love going out in the summer with a good book. I would sit in the swing and read the afternoon away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, holidays are hard and this only makes them more so.
      I have read more afternoons away than I can count. Sitting outside is my favorite place to read.

      Delete
  8. The Patient Experience lady sounds like a wise woman. I believe the answer is one-on-one kindness and attention to one another. I connected and bonded with a new friend in recent weeks over something as innocuous as perfumes. We have had the best talks and are fast friends. I may have to write about it. There are so many wonderful things to talk about and share with others and it seems that before social media, we actually did that without the acrimony that is so prevalent everywhere now. Everyone seems so angry. Speaking of the mass shooter, he was looking for his wife, to kill her. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is very wise. It is all about one on one attention. It used to be more common for people to get together, talk, interact. Now so many people seem so distant. I always talk to people everywhere. lol I would love to hear more about your new friendship. We all need a reminder that human connection is so very important to our well being.
      I hadn't heard that about the shooter. So very sad. Hugs my friend!!

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of the 90's show. I'll have to look it up. I just finished binging a show called The Bear. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it - especially for someone who loves food. Or for someone who loves film, because the style of writing, direction, and the quality of the acting is quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just dropped on Netflix. It is a continuation of That 70's show. It was pretty funny. Thank you for the recommendation. I'll have to check that out.

      Delete
  10. how lovely to have snow. It's hot and steamy here, and won't cool down for months. Ah well that's Brissie life. Another mass shooting - so awful. I am so grateful they are very rare indeed here. I've never understood the whole gun ownership thing in the U.S. We have been to 2 funerals already this year. so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We appreciate the snow because we have mild winters where we live and do not always get much. We're supposed to get 6 inches tonight which is a bit rare for us. Yes, this year has started out sad for a number of people it seems.

      Delete
  11. We got about 7 inches of wet, heavy snow that was sticking all over the trees. It looked pretty I have to admit. We watched a few episodes of That 90's Show and thought it was cute! I forgot how funny that show was! I also have no words on the mass shootings, :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was also wet heavy snow that we received. It melted in a couple of days. But yes, it was pretty. I also thought it was cute. I liked that they followed the original plot and brought most of them back. I just love Kitty. lol

      Delete