Pages

Sunday, January 21, 2024

My Week

Happy Sunday!

This was a rollercoaster of a week and most of my weekly w's would be blank so no sense in doing them.  On Sunday afternoon, TBG, started coming down with a virus and by Monday he was down for the count.  Despite all of my efforts to avoid him and sanitize everything I realized Tuesday morning that I was coming down with it.  Whatever virus it was brought on major body aches, chills, coughing, sneezing, loss of appetite and fatigue.  It could be any of them out there going around so we didn't feel the need to be tested.  TBG started feeling much better on Friday and I did yesterday so thankfully I think it's over.  

As if that all wasn't enough fun, Wednesday TBG went to start his truck since it was predicted to get so much colder.  It wouldn't start so I called Triple A and they towed it to the mechanic.  Friday, they called us with the diagnosis of a $7000.00 repair.  It's an older truck with high mileage and I really didn't want to put that into it.  Luckily TBG has a friend who is a mechanic and sells used vehicles as well.  He happened to have a really nice one and wanted to buy the truck back, so it was a win win for us all.  

Meals this week were a challenge because for the most part, we didn't have an appetite.  We both lost 5 pounds which we really didn't need to lose but I'm sure they'll come back once we're back to regular eating.  We're eating better now just still not very much.  We get full a lot faster now.

Left over chili for me before I got sick.
Scrambled eggs and toast
Chicken noodle soup
Scramble eggs and toast
Chicken fajitas and rice (finally felt like we could eat)
Pizza loaded with veggies since we hadn't eaten many this week.

Even though this week was not the best, I was able to find the joys.  
We had everything we needed or wanted and didn't need to go shopping for anything.  
We have an emergency fund that covered the price of the newer car without us making debt or having to cut something out.
That Binx is a sweet cat that knows when you're not feeling well and stayed by our sides.
Friends who let us know they were there if we needed them.
My doctors and NP's who offered the same.  
If we had to spend a week at home, sick as a dog, at least it was the coldest week of the year so far and we didn't have to go out in it.

I didn't do any reading, watching TV or anything else really but laundry and sleep.

I'm ready for the new week though.  I also made my Week 3 new recipe this morning and I can't wait to share it!

I hope everyone is staying warm and healthy.  Enjoy your Sunday and may this coming week be a good one for us all!!








22 comments:

  1. I’m so sorry! I wonder if you had influenza like I had? I think it normally lasts 7-10 days though (at least that’s what urgent care told me, though when I was a lot younger, it was only 3-4 days). I’m just glad to hear you’re better. I’m still blowing my nose and it’s been a month 🙄

    Glad to hear the car business worked out. Honestly, health issues and car problems are at the top of my list of worst things.

    I’m trying a new salad tonight. It’s called Italian Grinder Salad and I saw it on TikToc. It’s like an Italian sub, chopped up on romaine, without the bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bijoux. It felt like the flu but who knows. It lasted about 5 days for us both but we do still have a cough, just not too bad. Sorry yours is lasting longer. I heard a story on the news the other day about what they're calling the 100 day cough. Scary stuff going around.
      Sickness and car problems are at the top of my worst list also and honestly, I'm so thankful that it all fell in to place so quickly and easily. His friend is a godsend for sure.
      That salad sounds amazing. I'll have to check it out. Enjoy it and your Sunday!!

      Delete
  2. Oh darn it. What a way to spend the week at home. So sorry you both got sick - but at least you were sick together (I guess).
    $7,000 sounds like a lot and maybe someone was trying to take advantage! I am glad it all worked out and you didn't have to go into debt for it.
    Some weeks just stink - but glad you were able to see little rays of sunshine.
    Hope you following week is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. It seemed like the never-ending week for sure.
      The 7000.00 was for a new head gasket and a rebuilt engine. I'm sure that was a pretty accurate price since everything is so expensive now especially when it comes to vehicles.
      I did see the joys because no matter what, things can always be worse.
      Wishing you a great week as well!

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you were ill, but glad you are both better. Sounds similar to what I had, although I didn't have coughing or sneezing. Just heavy fatigue & nausea. Sweet Binx. Animals can tell when we are ill & they are such a comfort. A stockpile & freezer meals sure come in handy when one is ill.
    I am so glad you didn't have the repair done. What a rip off! My ex rebuilds engines and I can assure you that (while it's expensive) it doesn't cost that much. So glad it all worked out in your favor. Wishing you all a wonderful week & hope you all remain healthy. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It was so nice not to have to leave the house while we were both so sick. What a blessing. Binx can always tell when one of us doesn't feel good and he refuses to leave your side. Hope you're doing well my friend.

      Delete
  4. After a week of flu I was glad to make 'cheeseburgers soup' which was splendid. I hope you are feeling good and cooking soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad your cheeseburger soup turned out so well! Glad you're feeling better too.

      Delete
  5. Oh my, I'm so glad you're both feeling better now, but I think you're right, not much point testing anymore is there (unless you're going to be in and around hospital, I guess). And while there's never a good time for a car to break down, you kinda lucked out there didn't you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many times the tests are not accurate and there are just so many things going around I didn't see the point in testing. We were sick. That's it. We did luck out that it broke down while we were out sick. TBG got it all taken care of in just a few hours. Pretty impressive.

      Delete
  6. Not a fun way to spend the week but I'm glad you are both feeling better. I had most of the same symptoms except loss of appetite. Then again, it's hard to tell if it was really chills or just the fact that where I work is always freezing cold. Yikes on the $7000 for repairs. When it gets that high it's almost better to get rid of it. Nice that you had an emergency fund to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a fun week but it always could have been worse. I hope you're feeling better. It would have to be a newer vehicle to put that much in to. I just couldn't see it. Now to start replacing what we've spent.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear you both for so sick. But good to hear you are feeling better now.. it is a relief when you realize you are good (money,food, friends) and not have something like this and the truck put you in a hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hena! Yes, it is a very good feeling. Stay well!

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry to hear you went through all of that this past week, but I'm glad things are better now. It's a relief to have money in the bank. I learned firsthand when I had to go to urgent care for something over the weekend and waited on pins and needles for test results. I have yet to discuss them with the doctor, but I think I'll be fine based on what I saw on my account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We are feeling so much better and yes, back up expenses are a relief. Oh no on the urgent care. Hope you're doing ok.

      Delete
  9. Simply feeling better is a huge joy. The fact that you had everything you needed to weather through the sickness and cold is a bonus. Glad you are both doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, yes we are feeling so much better.

      Delete
  10. good to hear you're feeling better. We're having a heatwave so food is not really appealing either unless it's cold :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry. Stay cool. I'm that way in the summer too. Cool, light meals when it's hot.

      Delete
  11. I'm sorry you and TBG were sick and I'm glad you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Not sure what it was, but it knocked us down for a while.

      Delete