Pages

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

52 Recipes in 52 Weeks #3 New York style bagels

One of my projects for 2024 is to try one new recipe each week for the year.  These will be chosen from all of the flagged pages in cookbooks that I have or from the file of 'need to try' recipes.  I will try new desserts, main dishes, side dishes and breads.

My history with bagels is pretty simple.  I never liked them until Bakin' Bagels opened up by our house in Florida in the 90's and I had my first taste of a NY style bagel.  It was true love at first bite, and I enjoyed them frequently until we moved in 2005 and I have only had one other bagel since.  I was excited when Panera opened here because I've heard a few people talk about their bagels.  I tried one and it wasn't for me.  I've wanted to try to make my own for a very long time and now I can say I have.

The recipe was in my need to try folder and I'm not sure when I put it there.  It is from the website Sophisticated Gourmet. https://www.sophisticatedgourmet.com/2009/10/new-york-style-bagel-recipe/

Ingredients
2 teaspoons yeast
4 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/4 cup warm water
3 1/2 cups bread flour or high gluten flour
up to 1/2 cup flour for kneading
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions
In 1/2 cup warm water, pour in the sugar and yeast.  Let sit for 5 minutes, and then stir the yeast and sugar mixture until it all dissolves in the water.

Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl.  Make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast and sugar mixture.

Pour 1/3 cup of the warm water into the well.  Mix and stir in the rest of the water that is remaining.  You want a moist and firm dough after you have mixed it.

On a floured surface, knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.  Try working in as much flour as possible to form a firm and still dough.

Lightly brush a large bowl with oil and turn the dough to coat.  Cover the bowl with a damp dish towel.  Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in size.  Punch the dough down and let it rest for another 10 minutes.

Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. (next time I will use the scale to make sure they're equal size)  Shape each piece into a round.  Now take a dough ball and press it gently against the work surface, moving your hand and the ball in a circular motion pulling the dough into itself while reducing the pressure on top of the dough slightly until a perfect dough ball forms.

Coat a finger in flour, and gently press your finger into the center of each dough ball to form a ring.  Stretch the ring out and place on a parchment lined cooking sheet.

After shaping the bagels and placing them on the sheet, cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes.  Preheat oven to 425 F.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Reduce the heat.  Use a spider or slotted spoon to lower the bagels into the water.  My pot took three at a time.  Let them boil for 2 minutes per side.

If you want to add toppings to your bagels, you can do that now they're out of the water.

Once all the bagels have boiled, transfer them to the lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.







I topped a couple with poppy seeds, a couple with sesame seeds and one with a slice of gouda cheese.  The rest I left plain which is my favorite. (The last photo is of the one with cheese.  It was TBG's idea)

The outcome was AMAZING!  This is exactly the kind of bagel I love.  A slightly crisp exterior, soft inside but with a great chew.  The recipe was very easy to follow and absolutely yielded a delicious bagel.  I need to work on appearance a bit and make sure they're rolled out a bit better but the taste is spot on. This is being moved to my favorites since I know I will be making these again and again.

We both give this recipe a 10!



29 comments:

  1. Wow! I’ve never made bagels before. I just don’t seem to ever have luck with yeast. I do like them, but since I’m low carb now, I don’t have them anymore. My faves were always the sweet ones like cinnamon raisin or cranberry walnut. I’m glad you’re trying out these new recipes that you’ve saved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinnamon raisin were the ones I loved at Bakin Bagels. They were so good. It's been fun trying out the new to me recipes.

      Delete
  2. Kudos to you for making them. I tried it once years ago and thought for me it was not worth the trouble, but we are not big bagel fans. One once in a blue moon is enough for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a pretty straight forward recipe so not much trouble. I used the rise time to do other things.

      Delete
  3. That looks amazing. I miss eating the occasional bagel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We won't have them often but they are the kind I love.

      Delete
  4. I've never been a huge bagel fan but they aren't bad. Glad this one turned out so well for you. I've never attempted to make them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like most bagels but these were what I remember and they were so good.

      Delete
  5. Your bagels look absolutely delicious! I especially love the Gouda one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBG insisted we try the Gouda. It was good too.

      Delete
  6. Those look wonderful. I really like certain bagels and may have to try my hand at this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the soft inside, slight chew, crispy outside that I adore.

      Delete
  7. Oh I love bagels (I'm surprised I didn't look like one when I was first pregnant as I couldn't get enough), but they don't really sell them over here. I will have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a very straight forward recipe and I was very impressed with the flavor and the chew. Very good.

      Delete
  8. Wow! I had no idea! I am passing this on to my Peyton. She is the baker, and I cannot wait to try! Have a cozy afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had them every Sunday morning fresh from the shop also. I remember they used to sell the Sunday newspaper and it was our routine to pick up bagels and the paper and have a relaxing breakfast at home. NY style are the best!! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bagels really do look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made bagels!! That is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hena. They were a lot easier to make than I had thought and SO good.

      Delete
  12. Hi Lori~ Your bagel recipe looks delicious! I've tried making them before and it felt like soooo much work. Your recipe looks pretty easy . . . maybe I'll try this one! I like the idea of trying a new recipe each week. It seems like I'm always searching for something new to make (I get bored easily ;0) ). I'm going to try to find something new too! I think I would love the bagel with cheese, yum!! Have a good week! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! This recipe was surprisingly easy. I always put off trying to make them because I thought it would be more complicated. I get bored easily too and I have a stack of recipes I want to try so I figured now is the time. Wishing you a good week also!!

      Delete
  13. now why on earth haven't I thought of this until now? Bagels! I love them so! I hadn't thought of making any myself. yes yes yes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so much better than what you can but around here. The recipe was pretty easy and you can do it in the stand mixer instead of by hand which I will do next time.

      Delete
  14. Good grief Lori, you are a champ! I would love to try this but I am scared. One, scared I cannot do it without ruining it, and two, scared I will succeed and eat them all!!!! And I do mean ALL! I am without resistance when it comes to bread, and I really should not eat it. But props to you for this accomplishment!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe is actually pretty easy. I did mix the dough by hand but will use the stand mixer next time. Have a wonderful week!!

      Delete