Pages

Sunday, January 7, 2024

My Weekly W's


What's top of my mind:   Our home.  I've never been one for much 'stuff' but life does seem to bring it into our lives regardless.  I am finally happy with our living room, kitchen, dining room, bathrooms and our bedroom.  The three rooms left are the laundry room, home office and guest bedroom.  I'm down to paperwork (always), some sentimental items and items that are loved and useful but may not be used moving forward.  I have a lot of dinner party or back yard BBQ items that haven't been used in 10 years.  Will I have more large parties?  That is something to think about.  My thought is, just because I have the space to store these items doesn't mean I should if they aren't going to be used. 

Where I've been:  New Years morning we went out to breakfast.  I'm not much of a breakfast person but TBG needed to get out of the house.  Friday, I stopped at Aldi and Kroger for fresh produce and dairy.  I also stocked up on a few things that were on sale.  Then I stopped by the Pet store to stock up on food for Binx.  

Where I'm going:  I have a dentist appointment tomorrow and that's all that is on the calendar so far.

What I'm watching:  Yesterday I watched Little Women again.  I haven't seen it since it came out in the theater, and we went to watch it.  I do enjoy that movie.  I also watched a series on Netflix, You are what you Eat...Identical Twins.  It is a 4-part series that is extremely interesting and informative.  They work with identical twins for 8 weeks to see what the effects on the body are with a vegan diet versus the omnivore whole food diet.  

What I'm reading:  Sadly, I didn't reach much this week.  I need to get back to reading at least 30 minutes a day.  I have two books sitting on the table waiting.

What I'm eating:
Turkey, mashed potatoes, salad and cranberry sauce for NY Day.
LO chicken noodle soup
Beef cheeseburgers and sweet potato 'fries'
Fried chicken, pesto pasta and salad
BIG salad
Roasted chicken, garlic mashed potatoes and green beans



Yesterday for lunch I made a veggie pizza and cooked it in the Ninja on the fresh pizza setting instead of the regular oven.  Cooking pizza at 500 degrees makes a big difference in the taste of the crust.  This is how I will be cooking it from now on.

Tonight, I'm making my first new recipe for my 52 recipes challenge.  I'll let you know how that turns out tomorrow. 

Who needs a good slap:  No one is coming to mind for this one.  I didn't watch any news this week and apparently all of my interactions this week were good. 

What's making me smile: There is a local organization that works with homeless people to actually get them the help they need to turn their lives around.  They are doing wonderful things, and I am happy to be helping them every chance I get.  

I hope everyone is staying healthy and enjoyed the first week of this new year!!






22 comments:

  1. It’s always wonderful to volunteer for a charity that is actually helping people! Yeah! I’m excited for your recipe challenge. I’m reading Mambo in Chinatown by Jean Kwok. She also wrote Girl in Translation. My DIL is Chinese, so I enjoy learning about her culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bijoux. Yes this is an awesome program that doesn't just help with food or shelter but gives people the tools and assistance they need to really turn their lives around. I will check out Mambo in Chinatown, that sounds like a great book. I always love to learn about other cultures too. Take care!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lori! Sounds like you are getting organized! I need to go through things as well, hopefully, this will be the year for me as well. I'm looking forward to your 52 recipes! I always enjoy seeing what you post for your meals. I haven't been very good at reading lately - 30 minutes a day is a great goal. I love, Little Women as well. I usually watch it at Christmastime too! Have a great week!! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! I did pretty well on reading last year but so far this year not great. 30 minutes a day is a start and I need to remember to take my book with me when I go somewhere because at times I have a few minutes I could be reading. Little Women is a great movie especially around Christmas. Wishing you a wonderful week as well.

      Delete
  3. I had tons of plates and cutlery etc. and could probably easily have catered for 50+ people. The thing is, I don't WANT to do that anymore so yep, I got rid of a helluva lot too. Feels good doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " I don't WANT to do that anymore" is where I am at right now too and I need to just let that stuff go. I can't see us having any large parties in the near future, if every. It does feel good to let things go. Have a great week.

      Delete
  4. I have such a hard time getting rid of things I don't use/need any more. Especially if they have sentimental value attached to them. I need a new mindset when looking at all the stuff in my house.
    I love breakfast but I don't really like to cook it. It always tastes better when someone else does the cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am constantly decluttering and it's easy until I get to the sentimental items or the 'stuff' I really do like but won't use anymore. That's where I am at now with things. It is hard. I would have cooked breakfast but I think he just needed an excuse to get out of the house.

      Delete
  5. Yay for you on getting rid of so much. I need to get back to work on that now that the holidays are over. Your menu sounds wonderful. Had you watched the news you would know who needs slaps - LOL. Way too many people!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't like 'stuff' but I'm at the hard point now with the things I do like but don't need and of course the dreaded sentimental items. That is the hard stuff for me. I'm sure I would have had many options for slaps if I had watched the news. lol Wishing you a great week as well.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on decluttering the home. It can be quite difficult if you hang onto things for sentimental value, but if you haven't used something in at least six months chances are you'll never use it again. The only exception being holiday decorations, of course.

    Sounds like you had a good week as well. I hope the next one is, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to stay on top of it because I just don't like 'stuff'. You're right, I should let these things go that I haven't used in years. I don't see us having any large parties any time soon. Maybe I could contact a local caterer that may be able to really use them. Wishing you a wonderful week also!

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to see what your new recipe is. We are totally breakfast people. Lunch is something I can totally do without.
    I am always in a constant state of decluttering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the 52 new recipes will be a fun challenge. TBG is the same way. He'd skip lunch if he had a big breakfast. I'm the opposite. lol Decluttering is something that seems to never end, doesn't it?

      Delete
  8. I always thought that once the bra was off, you went no where....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is off within minutes of being home. :-)

      Delete
  9. It is the best feeling to come home to a warm and cozy house when it's cold and dreary out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is Jeanette. A warm, cozy home is a true blessing.

      Delete
  10. OK so which Little Women did you watch? I'm assuming you mean the latest one (2019) with Saoirse Ronan as Jo. Our favorite is the 1994 version with Winona Ryder as Jo, Trini Alvarado as Meg, Claire Danes as Beth, Kirsten Dunst as Amy, Susan Sarandon as Marmee and Christian Bale as Laurie. My girls and I have practically memorized that movie, we've seen it so many times! I think it's better than the newer one! I'm not a big fan of the 1949 or 1933 versions, hahaha, even though I am a major classic film buff. I don't like June Allyson in much of anything, and although I do like Katharine Hepburn, I don't care for her in the role of Jo. Have you seen either of those? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the 1994 version. It's my favorite. I did enjoy the 2019 version and we went to see it when it came out but IMHO the one with Winona Ryder is the best. I love you guys have seen it so many times. I have not seen the older two versions and now I want to check them out. Katharine Hepburn played Jo?? I really want to see that. Hugs my friend!

      Delete
    2. She did indeed play Jo! In 1933, when she was 26 years old. xoxo

      Delete
  11. I like this little Weekly W project. A great way to recap the week and share your weekly menu.

    ReplyDelete