Pages

Sunday, January 14, 2024

My Weekly W's

What's top of my mind: Appreciating what this semi hibernation period brings. I saw this quote and it spoke to me.

"Winter is the time of sacred balance and rejuvenation of life in preparation for the coming spring.  It represents abundance, teaching and gratitude."  By Noelle Vignola 

Spring will be here before we know it so take time now to relax and center yourself.

Where I've been:  TBG and I went out to our favorite Mexican restaurant Wednesday for lunch.  It was a nice mid-day break from work and the food is always so delicious.  I did stop and pick up a few things Thursday before the predicted cold weather this weekend.  Surprisingly the store wasn't very busy.  

What I'm watching:  I watched It's Complicated with Meryl Streep.  It was actually a pretty funny movie.  I also watched this season's first Reunion of Southern Charm.  

What I'm reading:  I picked up The City Bakers' Guide to City Living again but still didn't read much.  This week I'm again aiming for 30 minutes a day.  

What I'm eating:


BIG salad with chicken
LO chicken noodle soup with a cheese roll up
Lamb burgers with sweet potato 'fries'
Chicken fettuccini with salad and crusty bread
Ground lamb, red onion and Havarti cheese wrapped in puff pasty with salad



Lamb chops, scalloped potatoes and green beans.  (I just realized how many times we had lamb this week)
I have a hearty beef and veggie stew cooking in the crockpot that I'm going to serve over egg noodles tonight.  It's cold and this will hit the spot.

Who needs a good slap:  Weather Channels Jim Cantore.  We have a long history together.  Jim Cantore always did the hurricane updates when we lived in Florida.  On multiple occasions I had to change the channel because if I would have heard "hunker down" one more time I believe my head would have exploded.  Bad weather can be serious, I know that however Jim Cantore is entirely TOO dramatic about everything.  I caught a clip of the snowstorm hitting Chicago on Friday.  There was thunder snow and you would have thought the world was ending listening to him. He had to take drama in HS.  I give him 4 slaps that's how ridiculous and annoying I find him.

What's making me smile:  Binx. No explanation needed.  He's a keeper.


I hope everyone has a wonderful week filled with joys.  Stay safe and stay warm!!  It's a bit chilly here. 

20 comments:

  1. Binx is so stinking cute! I agree the weather people (and all news people) are too dramatic. It is like this has never happened before and no one will know what to do. Geesh, every year somewhere there is snowy bad weather.
    Your stew sounds perfect for a day like today. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Binx is a cutie! Yes, it is almost everywhere now with the dramatic doomsday reports but something about Jim Cantore really, really drives me crazy. Stay warm Cheryl and have a great week.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I’ve never heard of Jim Cantore before so I looked him up on YouTube. You’re absolutely right- he is annoying and needs a few more slaps for good measure! Judy B. In CALIFORNIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See?? Annoying and dramatic. Thanks for visiting Judy.

      Delete
  3. Hi Lori~ You make me laugh!! Jim Cantore is VERY dramatic for sure!! I loved the quote. I feel the same way, this is the season to slow down and get ready for the coming season, and that's just what I do ;o) I love lamb, but I have a hard time finding it here in Idaho. I need to work on that. Have a great week! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb. He is, isn't he? Yes, winter is a time to slow down and I'm going to take every chance I can to do that. I LOVE lamb but we really don't usually eat it three times a week. Wishing you a wonderful week as well.

      Delete
  4. Binx is such a pretty boy. The pastry with lamb and cheese looked so delicious. Did you make it? I want to make more hand pie, pot pies, "roll" type dishes that can be frozen in small portions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam. Isn't he cute? I can't believe he'll be two soon.
      Yes I did make it. I love hand pies, pot pies, empanadas, etc. Easy to freeze and a meal in one with a side salad or veggies.

      Delete
  5. Aww! Look at sweet Binx! We had thunder snow on Friday night. So weird to see lightning while it's snowing! Your food pictures look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanette. Thank you! Binx is something else. I don't remember ever experiencing thunder snow but I've seen it happen on TV. It would seem weird. Hope you're staying warm and have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  6. Jim Cantore has never bothered me because we have James Spann , our personal local weather dramatarian. I will take "hunker down" over talk of the "polygon" during tornados.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of very dramatic weather reporters aren't there?

      Delete
  7. Binx is adorable. That big salad with chicken looks so good. I can't remember the last time I ate lamb anything. I'm guessing it was probably back when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken over a big salad is one of my favorites. We eat lamb regularly but not usually three times in one week. I don't know how I didn't catch that. Hope you're staying warm.

      Delete
  8. LOL! I agree about Cantore. We have a local weatherman that I cannot stand because he seems to revel in any bad weather. Seriously, he has a smirk on his face when reporting any sort of storm.

    For Big Salad Sunday, I made a chicken caprese salad with avocado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your salad sounds so good. I love avocado and try to eat them often but TBG doesn't care for them. I try to hide them in salads but he always figures it out.
      I think a lot of weather reporters really push the limits. No one should have a smirk on their face while reporting anything. Stay warm!!

      Delete
  9. Ah! Binx is a big boy now. He reminds me of my black cat. :-)

    I also get it about Cantore. He would have been perfect for CNN back when they reported the news but sensationalized everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Binx has been maintaining 10.4 pounds for about 6 months so I think this is as big as he is going to get. Smallest cat I've ever had.
      Yes, if he had gone into MSM instead of weather, he would fit right in with them.

      Delete
  10. Aww, I love seeing pics of Binx :) I've never paid much attention to Cantore before, but now that you've mentioned it, I can picture him exaggerating about the weather. That pie looks absolutely delicious! I LOVE puff pastry. It's so much better than regular pie crust. Wishing you all a wonderful week. Stay safe & warm. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe Binx is almost two? I can't. Cantore drives me insane with his dramatics. Hope you're staying warm as well! It's freezing here.

      Delete